Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Graphics Cards
  • Motherboards
  • PCI Express
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
June 7, 2010 2:22:59 PM

so my motherboard is a Msi 790xt-g45 and my graphics card is an HIS 5770.

on my motherboard specs it says 2x Pci-e 2.0 x16
but GPU-z says my graphics card is running at x8

on Cpu-z it says the the motherboard Link Width is x8 and Max Supported it x16

so is this normal? should i try installing the card in the other Pci-e slot?

More about : 5770 running

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2010 2:39:36 PM

Is your card in the top or bottom PCI-E x16 slot? The second physical x16 slot only runs at x8, and generally, its the top one that will run x16 with a single card.

One caveat, though, is that there is no discernible difference between x16 and x8 performance until you start hitting the Upper graphics power of available cards (470 and up, just a guesstimate) and even if you can't activate x16, you will have pretty much the same experience.

That being said, if something isn't running the way it is supposed to, something is wrong, and may be indicative of other issues.
a c 190 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2010 2:55:35 PM

^+1

Try re-seating the card as well...
incorrect position could make problem similar to yours, so reseat the card and make sure it properly inserted... :) 
m
l
Related resources
June 7, 2010 6:48:38 PM

JofaMang said:
Is your card in the top or bottom PCI-E x16 slot? The second physical x16 slot only runs at x8, and generally, its the top one that will run x16 with a single card.

One caveat, though, is that there is no discernible difference between x16 and x8 performance until you start hitting the Upper graphics power of available cards (470 and up, just a guesstimate) and even if you can't activate x16, you will have pretty much the same experience.

That being said, if something isn't running the way it is supposed to, something is wrong, and may be indicative of other issues.

turns out its because it was in the bottom Pci-e slot. i put it in the top one and its at x16 now. though your right theres basically no difference in performance. thanx for the help
m
l
June 7, 2010 6:49:19 PM

Best answer selected by crysisComa.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2010 7:59:52 PM

Glad there was an easy resolution for you!
m
l
!