AMD Phenom 9950

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakeichan1986

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Hello ,

My AMD Phenom 9950 is running to hot even with a Cooler Master Heat Sink, i am stuck as to what to do!
Investing on a complete PC will be a waste of money.
Want a replacement of the processor, scarred to go back to AMD.

My Board is Asus M3N-H-HD(DDR2)
i use 9600GT for Graphics.

Solution
Why is everyone here spouting "get a new CPU, get a new CPU!!!"? Why is that everyone's reaction on this forum?
Too much heat? Get a new CPU!
CPU more than 1 year old? It's too old get a new one!

Honestly.

Your processor is fine. Also, your temperatures are much lower than normal and well within anyone's comfort range. I prefer to keep my CPU below 60*C. If I'm really anal, I try to keep it below 50*C. You are very safe and those temperatures are the very low temperatures I would expect from the hyper 212. Heck, technically you'd be safe past those temperatures as 62*C is the Tcase max, not the TJmax.

You currently have a 2.6GHz quad core processor that is past the TLB bug age. So you have no issues.
The only reason to upgrade...
The starting age Phenom CPU's (like the one you have) were never that good processors and generally run too hot to handle.. Your board seems to support the new age Phenom II and Athlon II CPU's.. So my recommendation would be to change your processor to atleast an Athlon II X3.. You can probably go all the way up to a Phenom II X6 depending on your budget and requirements.. You'll get cooler temps and higher performance..

84supreme

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2007
What Cooler Master heatsink are you using?
How hot is too hot?
What are your ambient temperatures?
What thermal compound did you use?
Case providing enough airflow?
Recently dusted?

Many things can lead to heat build up, start simple before freaking out and buying something you might not even need.

jakeichan1986

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
The first thing that ran out of gas is the zebronics platinum srs 500W smps, the coil burnt.

I use a third party temp checker, that show's my processor run's at 48 degrees.
i Play world of warcraft all the time..
having concern about temperature i put the cooler master's "Hyper 212 Plus"

Dusted recently..

Using the heat sink mentioned above i got over 38 to 40 without any load and just movies and music..
When i run VMware's or WoW it goes to 45 +-

I used the thermal compound that came with the kit.
I am just freaking a lil out, since i am scared to make investment on a DDR2 Board..
Dont have a high budget to make a full replacement.

Can go for another processor to give me a life of atleast 2 more years.

jakeichan1986

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010

The one's that are available where i am are
quad x4 - 925/945/955 BE/965 BE
SIX X6 - 1055T / 1090T BE

Am so confused to go for another AMD...
The setup i have is from 2 years ago.

My budget is for a processor and Heat sink...!
To provide me a life of another 2+ years atleast..

Depending on your usage (and budget ofcourse which you've not mentioned yet) you can go for the Phenom II X6 1055T if you are heavy on productivity app usage or the Phenom II X4 955/965 if gaming is your prime app.. If your PC is for more general usage, the Athlon II X3/X4 lineup will be more suited to you..

P.S. - AMD have come a considerably long way since the initial launch of the Phenom line of CPU's.. The architecture has been tweaked and is significantly better now.. You've no reason to be scared of another AMD purchase..

jakeichan1986

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Thanks Emperus,
I havent set a budget.
all i need is to run VMwares say 3 windows XP in em.
Worldofwarcraft is one of the many games i play.
Rest are general purpose like movies and music.

All i need now is a Processor and HeatSink.

Well it looks like you have the budget to afford any processor out there.. Get the X6 1090T in that case.. For the heatsink, first try out the new processor with your existing heatsink first.. If not satisfied, you can go for the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+.. If you have high overclocking plans, you can purchase the Thermaltake Frio..

jakeichan1986

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010

Thanks m8.
Right now my stuck problem is updating the Bios :-(

My current build is Rev 1502.
I have no clue as to how to update the bios :-(

Timop

Distinguished

Your temps are fine though, 50C is low for CPUs actually. Though make sure the 212 is installed correctly, do the "wiggle check"

Honestly, Id say you're fine now, wait til the Bulldozers for another upgrade, the 965 just isn't very viable for you atm.

Why is everyone here spouting "get a new CPU, get a new CPU!!!"? Why is that everyone's reaction on this forum?
Too much heat? Get a new CPU!
CPU more than 1 year old? It's too old get a new one!

Honestly.

Your processor is fine. Also, your temperatures are much lower than normal and well within anyone's comfort range. I prefer to keep my CPU below 60*C. If I'm really anal, I try to keep it below 50*C. You are very safe and those temperatures are the very low temperatures I would expect from the hyper 212. Heck, technically you'd be safe past those temperatures as 62*C is the Tcase max, not the TJmax.

You currently have a 2.6GHz quad core processor that is past the TLB bug age. So you have no issues.
The only reason to upgrade would be if you are unhappy with the current performance of your computer. Are you?

If you are having issues with WOW, it could be other components that are more likely holding you back, like your graphics card.

If you do want to upgrade your current CPU, I recommend waiting if you can. In less than a year Bulldozer will be out for desktop and if you want to buy into the new generation, you can. If not, prices of the older phenom II will likely have lowered.

Solution

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
I would agree with Enzo Matrix's (and Timop's) assessment especially the fact that the OP doesn't have the original defective (TLB bug) Phenom series CPU but a faster fixed version.
Your 9600GT is what's holding you back.

ggman

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
i agree with EnzoMatrix also, you temps are not that high especially didnt give us your ambient temp.

but i do suggest waiting for bulldozer either you get it or get the 1090T x6 or a BE x4 for a reduced price.

jakeichan1986

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Good.. i just did the wiggle check this morning, seems to be running at 42 degrees right now.
On game run like Starcraft2 and WorldOfWarcraft it seems to be going at 50 degrees plus.

Updated my bios to the latest one, any specific reason as to the sudden shutdown?
Will test out a few more days to decide if i go to the graphics card or the processor.

PS:
Any recommendations for the graphics card??

How much money are you looking at?
The GTX460 1GB (a bit over $200) is the best performance/$ right now and for you I wouldn't go any higher unless you intend to rebuild your entire system or overclock.
But even a radeon 5670 would be a relatively large improvement for you (under $100)

That's a decent card. The radeon 5750 or radeon 4850 are about on par with it, if prices are better. All are about $140 where I am. But if you can find a 4850, it would be about $100-120.

jakeichan1986

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2010
Lucky you enzo...! we dont have 4850 here..
and I am thinking of GTX 260 instead of the GTS 250, but the concern is the wattage difference with the current 9600 GT.

I have a 500W platinum srs, i am not technically sound to know if the load is balanced :-(

Any light u can shed on it m8?

There's 264W available on the +12v rails according to the specs for mainly the CPU and graphics card.

I usually estimate power consumption by using the TDP of parts, it's usually higher than the power you would ever draw.

So 95W for the phenom plus 150W for the GTS250 would give you 245W. I like to add 10W for each hard drive and that's usually it. So you are cutting it close but theoretically it should be fine. Then again, if you power supply is of the shady brand, it might crap out on you if you run it close to the limit.

Some people would say get a new power supply to avoid any problems since a faulty power supply could take down the whole system with it. So that's the advice I'm going to give to but you could still use your current PSU if you wanted. Especially if someone on here knows if Zebronics is a good brand or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.