H61 vs H67?

heiso

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Is there a significant difference between these two motherboards? I'm planning on buying my first ever self-built computer and I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to computers whatsoever. My main use for the computer will be Starcraft 2. I don't think I plan on overclocking or SLI.

I read on the internet that the only difference is the lack of sata6gb on the H61. What is it and do I need that?

The parts I'm thinking of buying from newegg are:

GPU: gtx460 768MB 192bit
CPU: Core i5-2300 2.8GHz Sandy Bridge
RAM: G skills Ripjaws X series 2x2gb 240-pin

The H61 is a lot cheaper than H67 so I'm wondering what extra features does the H67 provide and whether I need them or not. If I don't need them, I'm going for the H61.

Thanks for your help.

Solution
To a USB port you might connect: your phone for charging or transferring pictures or music to it. A Wifi transmitter for other portable devices. A bluetooth for similar reasons. Plug in your camera, ipod, mp3 player, keyboard, flash drive, and on and on.
I have never seen my friends use more than 6 but I have heard of people who can max out 14. There are add-on PCI cards if you need more.

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
H61 vs. H67: the H61 is cheaper because it has fewer USBs (10 vs. 14), fewer SATA3 (4 vs. 6) and it has no SATA6, so if you want to go SSD later on your stuck. It also has fewer PCIe lanes (6 vs. 8), no RAID. And, of course, there is no GPU boost on the H61.
If you don't need any of that then the H61 is for you. It matches the i5-2300 perfectly.

Here's a good Chart -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155 ^@Noworldorder meant no SATA3 on the H67. In addition, the PCIe lanes {H67 = 8, H61 = 6} both support 1 GPU at x16; DIMM slots {H67 = 4 slots 32 GB max 4x8, H61 = 2 slots 16 GB max 2x8} though most sticks are 4GB so 8GB vs 16GB in 99% set ups.

Either will run the same for what you've listed above, the H67 has the edge for both SSD and if you wanted to add more RAM. However, both have shared bandwidth with your GTX 460 + IGPU {onboard GPU} meaning a little loss of performance.

heiso

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Hi. Thanks for your replies. Sorry, I'm really not very wise when it comes to computers. I don't know if I need any of the following you guys mentioned.

I really do not know what any of the antonyms mean (except USB, of course). How many USB ports are considered the norm? What devices can I connect so I have to use 14 USB ports?

For the SATA, I know I have to connect my hdd with it. What else would I do with those? And are SATA3 products in the market right now? If so, how common are they? I checked SSD's and they are really expensive.

I don't know what PCIe lanes are used for and I don't know what RAID is.

Is 2x2gb enough RAM or do I need 2x4gb? What is DIMM used for? Is there a way to improve the performance with my GTX 460 + IGPU (except overclocking, I heard overclocking is bad so I don't want to do it)?

I know I'm a huge newbie when it comes to computers. I've done some research but I don't really understand if I NEED it or not. I'm mainly using this computer for Starcraft 2, nothing else really. I'm in university now so I use my mac for schoolwork. Macs aren't really that great with games so I want a Windows as well. Keeping the cost as low as possible while having a computer with enough performance for SC2 is the most important to me.

Noworldorder

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
To a USB port you might connect: your phone for charging or transferring pictures or music to it. A Wifi transmitter for other portable devices. A bluetooth for similar reasons. Plug in your camera, ipod, mp3 player, keyboard, flash drive, and on and on.
I have never seen my friends use more than 6 but I have heard of people who can max out 14. There are add-on PCI cards if you need more.

A SATA, or Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (this connector replaced the old IDE ribbon cable) might connect a DVD burner or Hard drive or Solid State Drive.

Raid, or Redundant Array of Inexpensive [or Independent] Disks allows you to connect Hard drives (or SSDs) so that they can be copied to simultaneously, to each other, or in groups, it is very fast for people with huge amounts of data to move.

2x2Gb is fine for you to start with. The DIMM (Dual In-Line Memory Module) slot is where the RAM, or memory stick goes.
No to the Graphics card (GPU) question...yet.
Overclocking is a way to buy a smaller CPU and make it perform like a much more expensive one. It is totally harmless done properly, and most motherboard makers now include programs to do it for you.
Whew!

Solution