Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

H61 vs H67?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
April 24, 2011 5:25:36 PM

Is there a significant difference between these two motherboards? I'm planning on buying my first ever self-built computer and I'm not knowledgeable when it comes to computers whatsoever. My main use for the computer will be Starcraft 2. I don't think I plan on overclocking or SLI.

I read on the internet that the only difference is the lack of sata6gb on the H61. What is it and do I need that?

The parts I'm thinking of buying from newegg are:

GPU: gtx460 768MB 192bit
CPU: Core i5-2300 2.8GHz Sandy Bridge
RAM: G skills Ripjaws X series 2x2gb 240-pin

The H61 is a lot cheaper than H67 so I'm wondering what extra features does the H67 provide and whether I need them or not. If I don't need them, I'm going for the H61.

Thanks for your help.

More about : h61 h67

a b V Motherboard
April 24, 2011 9:28:39 PM

H61 vs. H67: the H61 is cheaper because it has fewer USBs (10 vs. 14), fewer SATA3 (4 vs. 6) and it has no SATA6, so if you want to go SSD later on your stuck. It also has fewer PCIe lanes (6 vs. 8), no RAID. And, of course, there is no GPU boost on the H61.
If you don't need any of that then the H61 is for you. It matches the i5-2300 perfectly.
m
0
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
April 24, 2011 10:04:47 PM

Here's a good Chart -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_1155 ^@Noworldorder meant no SATA3 on the H67. In addition, the PCIe lanes {H67 = 8, H61 = 6} both support 1 GPU at x16; DIMM slots {H67 = 4 slots 32 GB max 4x8, H61 = 2 slots 16 GB max 2x8} though most sticks are 4GB so 8GB vs 16GB in 99% set ups.

Either will run the same for what you've listed above, the H67 has the edge for both SSD and if you wanted to add more RAM. However, both have shared bandwidth with your GTX 460 + IGPU {onboard GPU} meaning a little loss of performance.
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b V Motherboard
April 24, 2011 10:11:36 PM

jaquith said:
^@Noworldorder meant no SATA3 on the H67.
Thanks! Been here all day for lack of anything else to do and I'm getting punchy! :) 
m
0
l
April 25, 2011 12:02:37 AM

Hi. Thanks for your replies. Sorry, I'm really not very wise when it comes to computers. I don't know if I need any of the following you guys mentioned.

Noworldorder said:
...the H61 is cheaper because it has fewer USBs (10 vs. 14), fewer SATA3 (4 vs. 6) and it has no SATA6, so if you want to go SSD later on your stuck. It also has fewer PCIe lanes (6 vs. 8), no RAID. And, of course, there is no GPU boost on the H61.


I really do not know what any of the antonyms mean (except USB, of course). How many USB ports are considered the norm? What devices can I connect so I have to use 14 USB ports?

For the SATA, I know I have to connect my hdd with it. What else would I do with those? And are SATA3 products in the market right now? If so, how common are they? I checked SSD's and they are really expensive.

I don't know what PCIe lanes are used for and I don't know what RAID is.

jaquith said:
...In addition, the PCIe lanes {H67 = 8, H61 = 6} both support 1 GPU at x16; DIMM slots {H67 = 4 slots 32 GB max 4x8, H61 = 2 slots 16 GB max 2x8} though most sticks are 4GB so 8GB vs 16GB in 99% set ups.

Either will run the same for what you've listed above, the H67 has the edge for both SSD and if you wanted to add more RAM. However, both have shared bandwidth with your GTX 460 + IGPU {onboard GPU} meaning a little loss of performance.


Is 2x2gb enough RAM or do I need 2x4gb? What is DIMM used for? Is there a way to improve the performance with my GTX 460 + IGPU (except overclocking, I heard overclocking is bad so I don't want to do it)?


I know I'm a huge newbie when it comes to computers. I've done some research but I don't really understand if I NEED it or not. I'm mainly using this computer for Starcraft 2, nothing else really. I'm in university now so I use my mac for schoolwork. Macs aren't really that great with games so I want a Windows as well. Keeping the cost as low as possible while having a computer with enough performance for SC2 is the most important to me.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
April 25, 2011 12:37:08 AM

heiso said:
I really do not know what any of the antonyms mean (except USB, of course). How many USB ports are considered the norm? What devices can I connect so I have to use 14 USB ports?
To a USB port you might connect: your phone for charging or transferring pictures or music to it. A Wifi transmitter for other portable devices. A bluetooth for similar reasons. Plug in your camera, ipod, mp3 player, keyboard, flash drive, and on and on.
I have never seen my friends use more than 6 but I have heard of people who can max out 14. There are add-on PCI cards if you need more.

heiso said:
For the SATA, I know I have to connect my hdd with it. What else would I do with those? And are SATA3 products in the market right now? If so, how common are they? I checked SSD's and they are really expensive.
A SATA, or Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (this connector replaced the old IDE ribbon cable) might connect a DVD burner or Hard drive or Solid State Drive.

heiso said:
I don't know what PCIe lanes are used for and I don't know what RAID is.
Raid, or Redundant Array of Inexpensive [or Independent] Disks allows you to connect Hard drives (or SSDs) so that they can be copied to simultaneously, to each other, or in groups, it is very fast for people with huge amounts of data to move.

heiso said:
Is 2x2gb enough RAM or do I need 2x4gb? What is DIMM used for? Is there a way to improve the performance with my GTX 460 + IGPU (except overclocking, I heard overclocking is bad so I don't want to do it)?
2x2Gb is fine for you to start with. The DIMM (Dual In-Line Memory Module) slot is where the RAM, or memory stick goes.
No to the Graphics card (GPU) question...yet.
Overclocking is a way to buy a smaller CPU and make it perform like a much more expensive one. It is totally harmless done properly, and most motherboard makers now include programs to do it for you.
Whew!
Share
a c 717 V Motherboard
April 25, 2011 2:04:01 AM

Since everything is progressively becoming 'Bloatware' I'd get the 2X4GB, there's no upgrade path with 2 DIMMs. 8GB should be good for the life of the PC.

$85 - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1333 Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
April 25, 2011 2:08:05 AM

Thank you all. Based on what you guys have said, I think I'll just get the H61 instead of the H67. It'll save me 20 bucks or so.
m
0
l
April 25, 2011 2:30:34 AM

Best answer selected by heiso.
m
0
l
!