Sign in with
Your question

Updating DVD driver

Last response: in Storage
September 19, 2012 2:20:10 PM

Hi,

I am not an expert on PCs. It seems that you can download all drivers except CD/DVD drivers. Can you update driver software for a Blu-Ray Drive? Why or Why not?

I have a Optiarc BD ROM 5500 S ATA drive which came with HP G70 120 It has been disturbing recently. Sometimes it reads the disc, other times it says there is no disc. Reading takes a lot of time too. I believe the problem is with the driver, not the firmware.

I searched the net, but I couldnt find a driver for the drive for windows 7. Went to HP, couldnt find a driver for the optical drive.

Can anyone tell me where can I find one?

More about : updating dvd driver

a b G Storage
September 19, 2012 2:32:57 PM

maybe a "head" cleaning. maybe on it's last legs.
m
l
September 20, 2012 2:46:04 PM

swifty_morgan said:
maybe a "head" cleaning. maybe on it's last legs.

I am no computer expert but I tried cleaning it the best I could. And I havent used it at all: just burned 4-5 discs over the year and read about 15 DVDs thats it.
What about drivers, may they be a cause of the problem?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 20, 2012 2:51:48 PM

search by drive if you can. device manager should tell you who made it and what the model number is. but no, they are pretty much generic. I can't update my drivers either.

you can go into the device manager and uninstall it. reboot. let windows re-find it and reinstall drivers for it.

sometimes I come across an odd dvd or cd I can't read.......... but put it in a different machine or the machine/drive it was burned on and it works perfectly.
m
l
September 20, 2012 4:17:25 PM

swifty_morgan said:
search by drive if you can. device manager should tell you who made it and what the model number is. but no, they are pretty much generic. I can't update my drivers either.

you can go into the device manager and uninstall it. reboot. let windows re-find it and reinstall drivers for it.

sometimes I come across an odd dvd or cd I can't read.......... but put it in a different machine or the machine/drive it was burned on and it works perfectly.

I searched by the drive name Optiarc BD ROM 5500S and went to the Optiarc website. Only a firmware update available, and that too for retail ones not for laptop drives.

Went to device manager uninstalled it and after reboot windows finds it, but the problems persists.

The problem is not with the DVDs, I tried 10 DVDs at least all display the same problem, yet they run fine on other computers.

I believe the problem is the DVD driver and Windows.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 20, 2012 4:48:47 PM

you'll have to search microsoft's site for answers. if you find one post it.
m
l
!