Virtual memory limit

I have Windows Xp SP2 installed on a system that has 2GB of ram installed.
Virtual Memory seems to be fixed at 2046MB no matter how I try to configure
the intial memory and max memory of Virtual Memory via the Control Panel. I
have set memory to be configure by the system and it still only allocates
2046. I have deleted the Pagefile and tried to reset the size but it still
only allocates 2046. Is there a way to fix this problem? If I remove a ram
chip to have only 1GB of memory things seem to work normally. Is there a
limit on Virtual Memory once you get to 2GB of memory?

You should have more than that,xp figures the amount of ram plus the pagefile
on the hd.What you need to do is try setting at "let windows manage" then
click set 2X if you applied it correctly a restart should be required.You
can get
more info at:http://www.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;
555223&SD=tech

"Ron Dean" wrote:

> I have Windows Xp SP2 installed on a system that has 2GB of ram installed.
> Virtual Memory seems to be fixed at 2046MB no matter how I try to configure
> the intial memory and max memory of Virtual Memory via the Control Panel. I
> have set memory to be configure by the system and it still only allocates
> 2046. I have deleted the Pagefile and tried to reset the size but it still
> only allocates 2046. Is there a way to fix this problem? If I remove a ram
> chip to have only 1GB of memory things seem to work normally. Is there a
> limit on Virtual Memory once you get to 2GB of memory?

I know the theory. If you read my measage I said I tried to set virtual
memory to be handled by the system. The result was the same 2046mb of
allocated virtual memory. My question is the that things are not working
correctly. The usual setting of virtual memory via Control Panel route is
for some reason is broken once 2GB of ram is installed. Things work
correctly if only 1GB of memory is in the system. I have two systems with
2GB that are acting this way. The other 10 or so systems that I manage have
1GB of ram and they can be allocated virtual memory without problems. So,
what is the problem with going over 2GB.

> You should have more than that,xp figures the amount of ram plus the
> pagefile
> on the hd.What you need to do is try setting at "let windows manage" then
> click set 2X if you applied it correctly a restart should be required.You
> can get
> more info at:http://www.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;
> 555223&SD=tech
>
> "Ron Dean" wrote:
>
>> I have Windows Xp SP2 installed on a system that has 2GB of ram
>> installed.
>> Virtual Memory seems to be fixed at 2046MB no matter how I try to
>> configure
>> the intial memory and max memory of Virtual Memory via the Control Panel.
>> have set memory to be configure by the system and it still only allocates
>> 2046. I have deleted the Pagefile and tried to reset the size but it
>> still
>> only allocates 2046. Is there a way to fix this problem? If I remove a
>> ram
>> chip to have only 1GB of memory things seem to work normally. Is there a
>> limit on Virtual Memory once you get to 2GB of memory?

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

drop the www from the url

> You should have more than that,xp figures the amount of ram plus the
> pagefile
> on the hd.What you need to do is try setting at "let windows manage" then
> click set 2X if you applied it correctly a restart should be required.You
> can get
> more info at:http://www.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;
> 555223&SD=tech
>
> "Ron Dean" wrote:
>
>> I have Windows Xp SP2 installed on a system that has 2GB of ram
>> installed.
>> Virtual Memory seems to be fixed at 2046MB no matter how I try to
>> configure
>> the intial memory and max memory of Virtual Memory via the Control Panel.
>> have set memory to be configure by the system and it still only allocates
>> 2046. I have deleted the Pagefile and tried to reset the size but it
>> still
>> only allocates 2046. Is there a way to fix this problem? If I remove a
>> ram
>> chip to have only 1GB of memory things seem to work normally. Is there a
>> limit on Virtual Memory once you get to 2GB of memory?

Hi Ron
I have 4 G Ram on XP pro SP2 and the following
I have it set for System to manage and it says
Min 2 MB
Recommended 4605 MB
Currently 3070 MB
PageFile.Sys 3144688 KB
So XP seems to know how to allocate above 2
Regards