My component temps and voltages

l3randonf

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
I'm just now trying to get a better understanding of what normal operating baselines are for my different components. I did some searching and I believe that my CPU and GPU are now operating at normal idle temps (after cleaning out a TON of dust...my GPU was running at 94 Celsius under load before cleaning!)

But I am wondering about "voltages" and what exactly they mean and if everything I have is normal.

Nothing is overclocked.

AMD Athlon 3700+ idle at 40 celsius
Geforce 7800GT idle at 49 celsius
WD 7200RPM HD idle at 37 celsius

Then my CPUID program is reporting the following voltages...what exactly does this mean and are they normal?

CPU VCORE 1.41V
VIN1 1.46V
VIN2 .98V
+12V 4.38V
-12V -3.90V
-5V -5.28V

l3randonf

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009

what do all these "volts" mean though.

CPU VCORE is the voltage supplied to the CPU.

After that, VIN1 and 2 could correspond to anything, perhaps ram (though they seem low for that).

The other named ones correspond to their respective Power supply rails, however except for the -5V, they do not line up properly.

The reason for this error is, as the CPUID people explain, there is no standardization in the voltage monitoring chips. The fact you get any labels at all is just thanks to CPUID's experience and guesswork, which is often right. However, it also is wrong sometimes, as the motherboard manufacturers just have to be different and random.

If your motherboard came with monitoring software, it is sometimes more accurate, however even then you'll see errors.