Recommended memory for i3 dm3t

Status
Not open for further replies.

chetorch

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
hello, I am debating on which laptop to get, so far the HP dm3t is at the top of my list.

I have customized it on HP's website as follows:

* • Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
* • Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-330UM (1.20 GHz, 3MB L3 Cache) + Intel(R) HD Graphics [HDMI, VGA]
* • FREE Upgrade to 3GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
* • 320GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
* • Microsoft(R) Office Starter 2010
* • No additional security software
* • 6 Cell Lithium-Ion Battery (standard) - Up to 7.5 hours of battery life +++
* • 13.3" diagonal High Definition HP BrightView LED Display (1366 x 768)
* • HP TrueVision Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone
* • 802.11b/g/n WLAN and Bluetooth(R)
* • Backlit Keyboard

my mai question is how much memory should I get to have this laptop speeding along? they offer the free upgrade of 3GB, but I could chose up to 8GB.

I don't know if 8GB is a little overkill though!
any help apreciated, thanks!

Solution
The new dm3t has the new matte HP touchpad like the DV4s IIRC, you're thinking about the older dm3z I believe.
But first of all, save the money and go for the Pentium U5400. The same CPU as the 330UM, except without VT-x and HT which you'll will rarely use.

Honestly, The new AMD Neo laptops are quite nice for the money; buttery smooth 1080p playback and decent CPU performance that's a nice deal better than the Atoms, in fact, comes pretty close to the older SU7300s. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114947
1. 8GB is overkill. Get 4GB however.

2. You may want to look in to the ASUS UL80JT A1. I don't know about you, but a glossy/chrome touch pad (the one on the HP) would piss me off a lot.
Review: http://www.laptopmag.com/review/laptops/asus-ul80jt.aspx

3. If you don't have a lot of files,etc consider buying a 90GB OCZ Agility 2 SSD instead of a HDD.

4. I'm guessing portability and battery life are the top 2 on your list? If not, then there are much better laptops to choose from.

chetorch

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
to be honest the chrome touch pad is ugly,
and actually whats is most important to me right now is portability, multi-tasking (speed) and HD video playback.

I don't know if thats a bit too much to ask of a small portable laptop! I was actually considering a netbook before but I here they aren't the best multi-taskers out there...

I currently have and use a 500gb external hard drive for keeping HD movies and backing up my music collection.

Timop

Distinguished
The new dm3t has the new matte HP touchpad like the DV4s IIRC, you're thinking about the older dm3z I believe.
But first of all, save the money and go for the Pentium U5400. The same CPU as the 330UM, except without VT-x and HT which you'll will rarely use.

Honestly, The new AMD Neo laptops are quite nice for the money; buttery smooth 1080p playback and decent CPU performance that's a nice deal better than the Atoms, in fact, comes pretty close to the older SU7300s. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114947

Solution

chetorch

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
:( well, so many different laptops to chose from.... that toshiba is quite a contender.

I was actually just looking at an HP ENVY 14 and I think I might take the plunge with that one...
for one, it actually has a cd rom drive, it isn't too big and the case is aluminum. obviously I'd be paying a premium price for it. I figured I should get me a laptop that will last me a good while. while 'm not saying I have loads of cash to pour into a laptop, I should have enough to get one...

I have had my trusty Compaq v6000 for about 4 years now, going on 5 and I think I should invest in a laptop that's in it for the long haul.....

here's how I customized the envy 14:

* • Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
* • Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-370M Dual Core processor (2.40GHz, 3MB L3 Cache)
* • 1GB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5650 switchable graphics [HDMI] - For Dual Core Processors
* • 4GB DDR3 System Memory (2 Dimm)
* • 320GB 7200RPM Hard Drive with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection
* • Microsoft(R) Office Starter 2010
* • No additional security software
* • 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (standard) - Up to 3.75 hours of battery life +++
* • 14.5" diagonal HD+ HP Radiance Infinity LED Display (1600x900)
* • SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support (Slot Load)
* • HP TrueVision HD Webcam and Dual Digital Integrated Microphones [For Radiance Infinity Display]
* • Intel Wireless-N Card with Bluetooth
* • Backlit Keyboard

I think the only thing I actually changed from the base model is the Radiance display, I heard it was amazing.

all this comes to the grand total of $1,169.99. I rather pay for one of these then a mac book pro :kaola:

sorry for going off the original topic. I don't know if I should have opened another thread...

thanks so much for the helpful response so far!

Status
Not open for further replies.