Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How do you check to see if parts are compatible?

Last response: in Systems
July 16, 2010 10:05:28 PM

I know how to check if ram can fit in a mobo (ddr2, ddr3, mhz speed). I don't know how to check if the voltage fits and how cpu and mobos match.

What must I know for this?

More about : check parts compatible

a b B Homebuilt system
July 16, 2010 10:27:27 PM

Most (if not all) motherboard manufacturers have a CPU support list for each motherboard, on their web site. Some manufacturers will also specify compatible RAM voltages. So you're best bet is to check out the specs on the motherboard manufacturer's web site.

-Wolf sends

P.S. This is why I love Newegg's web site. They include a link to the manufacturer's product page for most every item they sell!
m
l
July 17, 2010 1:08:42 AM

The only way to tell if you computer is compatiable with a certin part is by putting it in the slot. For CPU if you have a socket 775 motherboard and wanted to put in 1156 CPU. The motherboard wont read the cpu properly or wont show anything on the screen. It goes for the same ram, video card and daughter cards. If you check the manufacture website they wont list every every compatiable cpu or ram. The specs will only tell you the ram specs, and the socket of the cpu.
m
l
Related resources
July 17, 2010 1:15:36 AM

Okay so for cpu and mobo I just need to check the socket type

For ram and the mobo I just need to check the voltage, make sure the ram isn't above and check the ram mhz speed and type?
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
July 17, 2010 4:51:12 AM

No. For CPU and Mobo, you need to check the motherboard manufacturer's CPU Support list. Not all Socket 775 processors work in all Socket 775 Motherboards. As an example, I have a Gigabyte GA-965GM-S2 motherboard in my HTPC.

Here is the link to the Manufacturer's Specifications for this board.
You'll note, in the "Related link" table about 2/3s the way down, a link for the CPU Support list.

Here is the link for the CPU support list for this board. The column on the far right shows what BIOS version is required to be installed on the board for each CPU listed. If the BIOS version states, "N/A", it means that no BIOS version will allow that particular CPU to function on that board.

For RAM, you just need to check the motherboards specifications (see my first link). It will tell you the compatible speeds, form factors (DDR/DDR2/DDR3), and if necessary, the required voltage.

-Wolf sends
July 18, 2010 6:25:16 AM

Best answer selected by solidstategamer.
m
l
January 30, 2013 1:39:35 PM

A Socket 775 Processor ( Intel Pentium Processors ) will not fit into a socket 1155 compatible motherboard. IF you try to do so it will result in some dangerous results.
m
l
January 30, 2013 1:42:48 PM

I personally prefer the i5 3570K ( 4 Cores ) over the FX 8150 ( 8 Cores ).
m
l
April 21, 2013 4:14:53 PM

ace700 said:
The only way to tell if you computer is compatiable with a certin part is by putting it in the slot. For CPU if you have a socket 775 motherboard and wanted to put in 1156 CPU. The motherboard wont read the cpu properly or wont show anything on the screen. It goes for the same ram, video card and daughter cards. If you check the manufacture website they wont list every every compatiable cpu or ram. The specs will only tell you the ram specs, and the socket of the cpu.

That's not really an option you are giving here... so i would need to purchase an expensive processor an just void its return guaranty to find out if it even fits my motherboard? I really hope noone actually does this, for their wallets sake.
m
l
May 7, 2013 10:49:16 PM

MBobbie said:
ace700 said:

That's not really an option you are giving here... so i would need to purchase an expensive processor an just void its return guaranty to find out if it even fits my motherboard? I really hope noone actually does this, for their wallets sake.

Not to mention it won't fit.
m
l
!