Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to UN-initialize a Samsung 830 SSD and Start Over

Last response: in Storage
September 19, 2012 6:53:33 PM

I tried to use the USB-SATA adapter to initialize my new Samsung 830 (256GB) SSD last night and I think something went wrong. The Dell laptop I used to initialize it won't recognize the SSD when I plug it in to any of the three USB ports (two USB 3.0 and one USB 2.0) any more.

I want to "UN-initialize" it (make it like it was when it was brand new from the factory) and start over. After I get it "back to stock", I will want to just plug it in to my laptop and use a new Windows 7 CD (that I'm going to buy) to install Win7 on it fresh and re-install all of my software. (All of my data is backed up to the cloud - between Google Drive, DropBox, and Box - so, I'll pull that down after I get all the software installed.)

But, how can I get it back to stock?
a b G Storage
September 19, 2012 7:36:04 PM

Just plug it into your computer and boot off of the Windows DVD.
m
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
September 19, 2012 7:43:52 PM

yeah, there's no need to try and make it like it was from factory

just remove your drive from the laptop and install the 830 directly, then boot with the Windows DVD and install

follow this - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install...
Related resources
a c 104 G Storage
September 19, 2012 7:50:32 PM

Hi there,

If you really want to reset the Samsung 830 back to factory condition, install the Samsung Magician Applet from the CD, or download it from their website, with the 830 attached to the same computer, and choose Secure Erase. Now you are back to square 1.
m
l
September 30, 2012 3:33:45 AM

Best answer selected by bobdowns.
m
l
September 30, 2012 3:34:57 AM

dingo07 said:
yeah, there's no need to try and make it like it was from factory

just remove your drive from the laptop and install the 830 directly, then boot with the Windows DVD and install

follow this - http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install...

Thank you! That worked swimingly. The SevenForums tutorial helped a lot, too.
m
l
a b G Storage
September 30, 2012 3:38:26 AM

glad it worked out for you

enjoy the speed of a new SSD
m
l
!