Sign in with
Your question

I have a motorhome and i need to hook up a wireless copmuter

Last response: in Components
September 14, 2010 10:54:42 PM

Hi I have read some of the other messages and i am moving into a motorhome and i need to set up a computer and i know nothing of what to do. I will not be able to have a phone cord and need to know what i need to get this up and running. Please help me if you can.

Cindy
September 14, 2010 11:20:28 PM

Hi Cindy,
Well you say you will not have a phone line, will you be somewhere you can have cable? As you have surmised, connectivity is going to be your first issue.

I would guess that a laptop would be the best option for you. You may be able to grab a wifi signal in your travels or at a campground. Or at a local wifi hotspot.

If you have a mobile phone with a data plan, you could opt for a bluetooth module so you could use your phone's internet connection.

It would help to know more about your situation to make the best recommendation, but those things should get the wheels turning.
Related resources
a b F Wireless
September 14, 2010 11:47:14 PM

Depending on where you are you maybe able to use 802.11 wireless connection that some moble home parks supply. If not virgin moble has a the cheapest broadband using cell phone tech.
September 15, 2010 1:03:45 AM

You didnt say if the motorhome was actually going mobile or staying put.
Anyways you will need either fios, cable, satellite or a wireless internet carrier such as clearwire, cricket, verizon, at&t, etc... And an interface device like a router or a wilreless usb stick - which is often supplied.

If staying put I would check with some of the closeby neighbors and see if they have wireless internet they would share with you. Then all you would need is to add a wireless nic to your pc as long as it has a dencent antenna and was near a window.

If travelling I would look into cellular internet from one of the major carriers like Verizon or AT&T.

While mobile satellite is nationwide and high speed and no dead spots (if you can see the sky you should connect) its also expensive as heck.

Keep in mind that no matter which route you take you may need to wire in an external antenna. Mobile homes often have a metal skin which blocks signals.

Good luck.
!