Sign in with
Your question

Bad Sector again ( Reallocation sector count )

Last response: in Storage
September 19, 2012 7:22:56 PM

Hi

I put before subject about my HDD

error in HDD was Reallocation sector count & Reallocation event count

you can see subject from this link

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/287610-32-reallocatio...

Now I changed my HDD in warranty to same model Hitachi becasue my laptop in warranty

I changed it from 3 weeks and problem happened again in Reallocation Sector Count

this is images for my New HDD I want to know what happened to make this error again for information data in my New HDD I coped it to another HDD there is no error

here is test results I hope to be found solution why this problem happened again after change HDD any solutions plz because I will try with my warranty to see HDD I hope solutions because I want to solve this problem to dont be happen again

September 19, 2012 7:24:33 PM

my laptop is HP pavilion DV6-6180ee
m
l
a c 316 G Storage
September 19, 2012 8:03:53 PM

The Reallocated Sector Count is actually either 1 or 8. You can see from HDDScan's report that the raw values are arranged in groups of 16 bits.

That is, 0x0000 / 0x0001 / 0x0008.

Similarly, the number of Reported Uncorrectable Errors is 0x0000, and the number of Command Timeouts is 0x0008.
m
l
Related resources
September 19, 2012 8:45:17 PM

fzabkar said:
The Reallocated Sector Count is actually either 1 or 8. You can see from HDDScan's report that the raw values are arranged in groups of 16 bits.

That is, 0x0000 / 0x0001 / 0x0008.

The number of Reported Uncorrectable Errors is 0x0000, and the number of Command Timeouts is 0x0008.

can you explain more I have been see 000000000x-0008

I dont know meaning of 0x0000 & 0x0001 and 0x0008

you telling me 0x0000 there is no error

now I dont understant 0x0008 what do you mean by timeouts

and If you can explain why this error happen in detail and if you can help me to fix it

m
l
a c 316 G Storage
September 19, 2012 9:22:59 PM

The actual meanings of the SMART attributes are known only to the respective HDD manufacturers, but this article attempts to explain them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

To understand the meaning of "0x0000 & 0x0001 and 0x0008", you need to understand the hexadecimal number system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexadecimal

To convert between hexadecimal and decimal, you could use Google's calculator:
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=0x00010008+in+decimal

Each hexadecimal digit consists of 4 bits. Some HDD manufacturers will pack several attribute values into each 48-bit raw value. That's what Hitachi appears to do, although there is no publicly available documentation.

By way of explanation, let's create an imaginary decimal example.

Let's say that the raw value of the Reallocated Sector Count is 241501230085 in decimal.

Obviously a drive cannot have that many bad sectors. That would amount to about 120TB.

However, this number might make sense if we broke it up into smaller components, namely 2415, 0123, and 0085. It could be that 0123 is the reallocation event count, 85 is the reallocated sector count, and 2415 could be the number of spare sectors remaining out of a total of 2500 (2415 = 2500 - 85). In fact at least one manufacturer does something like this, but in hexadecimal.

The following thread has more examples:

As for how to fix your drive, there is nothing you can do, or need to do, regarding reallocated sectors. The drive has already replaced bad sectors with spares. You can't do any more than that. I suggest you keep an eye on the SMART values and backup your data regularly.
m
l
September 19, 2012 9:50:06 PM

fzabkar said:
The actual meanings of the SMART attributes are known only to the respective HDD manufacturers, but this article attempts to explain them:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

To understand the meaning of "0x0000 & 0x0001 and 0x0008", you need to understand the hexadecimal number system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexadecimal

To convert between hexadecimal and decimal, you could use Google's calculator:
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=0x00010008+in+decimal

Each hexadecimal digit consists of 4 bits. Some HDD manufacturers will pack several attribute values into each 48-bit raw value. That's what Hitachi appears to do, although there is no publicly available documentation.

By way of explanation, let's create an imaginary decimal example.

Let's say that the raw value of the Reallocated Sector Count is 241501230085 in decimal.

Obviously a drive cannot have that many bad sectors. That would amount to about 120TB.

However, this number might make sense if we broke it up into smaller components, namely 2415, 0123, and 0085. It could be that 0123 is the reallocation event count, 85 is the reallocated sector count, and 2415 could be the number of spare sectors remaining out of a total of 2500 (2415 = 2500 - 85). In fact at least one manufacturer does something like this, but in hexadecimal.

The following thread has more examples:

As for how to fix your drive, there is nothing you can do, or need to do, regarding reallocated sectors. The drive has already replaced bad sectors with spares. You can't do any more than that. I suggest you keep an eye on the SMART values and backup your data regularly.

thanks for answer me

I want to ask another questions

I went to service center for HP in Egypt and replace HDD after change my HDD worked fine for 3 weeks
after 3 weeks my HDD has problem reallocation sector count that you see in pictures I want to know that error happen for second time in same laptop that happen because problem in laptop affect to HDD or another else

second this problem happen by connector sata or else

third I want to know how to avoid bad sector
always when HDD want to scan disk I leave it and make scan disk

four I want to know when Bad Sector replaced who is replaced windows or firmware in HDD and when Bad sector replaced it almost affect HDD It affect read/write speed or else

thanks for help and participate
m
l
a c 316 G Storage
September 19, 2012 10:22:28 PM

AIUI, when HDDs are replaced under warranty, the replacement is usually a refurbished drive. This means that it may have a prior history of bad sectors.

Otherwise, I'm only guessing, but your bad sectors may be the result of high temperatures, or shock or vibration. According to the Airflow Temperature attribute, your maximum historical SMART temperature appears to have been 49C (= 100 - 51). The G-sense Error Rate attribute has recorded 1571 (= 0x623) shock events. I don't believe the SATA cables would have any bearing on the problem, but I'm no expert.

Sectors are reallocated by the drive's firmware, not by Windows. However, Windows may decide to avoid a known bad sector by placing it in a "bad cluster" table. The drive won't reallocate this sector until Windows writes to it. In the meantime the drive treats such a sector as "pending reallocation".

Windows communicates with the HDD via Logical Block Addresses (LBA). For example, LBA 0 may begin life as physical sector 0, but if sector 0 goes bad, LBA 0 may be reallocated to physical sector 123456, say. Windows will still access LBA 0, but the drive will transparently reroute the transfers to sector 123456. Windows won't know that this is happening.

I don't know how reallocation affects the access time, but AIUI some sparing schemes allow for spare sectors on the same track or cylinder, so additional seeking is minimised or avoided altogether.
m
l
September 20, 2012 12:50:31 AM

fzabkar said:
AIUI, when HDDs are replaced under warranty, the replacement is usually a refurbished drive. This means that it may have a prior history of bad sectors.

Otherwise, I'm only guessing, but your bad sectors may be the result of high temperatures, or shock or vibration. According to the Airflow Temperature attribute, your maximum historical SMART temperature appears to have been 49C (= 100 - 51). The G-sense Error Rate attribute has recorded 1571 (= 0x623) shock events. I don't believe the SATA cables would have any bearing on the problem, but I'm no expert.

Sectors are reallocated by the drive's firmware, not by Windows. However, Windows may decide to avoid a known bad sector by placing it in a "bad cluster" table. The drive won't reallocate this sector until Windows writes to it. In the meantime the drive treats such a sector as "pending reallocation".

Windows communicates with the HDD via Logical Block Addresses (LBA). For example, LBA 0 may begin life as physical sector 0, but if sector 0 goes bad, LBA 0 may be reallocated to physical sector 123456, say. Windows will still access LBA 0, but the drive will transparently reroute the transfers to sector 123456. Windows won't know that this is happening.

I don't know how reallocation affects the access time, but AIUI some sparing schemes allow for spare sectors on the same track or cylinder, so additional seeking is minimised or avoided altogether.

thank you for help me

you advise me to go to service center because my laptop is under warranty to chack or replace it

second now check HDD tempreature by everest now is 35

third you say it caused by shock by electricity I dont think so because my laptop is connected by adapter

four you say vibration I dont think so because laptop is designed to move not stable actulate I put laptop on table

any other solutions to know why this problem cause

I think but not sure there is problem in motherboard in laptop but I dont now is correct or no

If you have any solutions plz tell me thanks for your help
m
l
a c 316 G Storage
September 20, 2012 1:05:53 AM

By "shock", I meant physical shock, not electrical shock.

Other than shock, temperature, or perhaps an unstable power supply, I can't think of any other way for bad sectors to be caused by factors outside the drive. As I said, I'm not an expert. You could try for a warranty replacement, but I don't know how the service centre will treat your case.
m
l
September 20, 2012 1:09:44 AM

fzabkar said:
By "shock", I meant physical shock, not electrical shock.

Other than shock, temperature, or perhaps an unstable power supply, I can't think of any other way for bad sectors to be caused by factors outside the drive. As I said, I'm not an expert. You could try for a warranty replacement, but I don't know how the service centre will treat your case.

thanks for your help
m
l
November 4, 2012 3:09:36 PM

hi. I have a Toshiba C660, and have this same problem. Second time HDD fail (reallocated sectors value around 2000).
Why it happen second time ? I would like to know.
Is it possible that some software damage the hard drive?
m
l
November 6, 2012 2:52:33 AM

I dont know but this not affected reseon because my software installed in another PC and put copy of sources on another HDD and install programs from another HDD so I dont know reason

I guseing problem not from software But I dont know that Right or wrong so If you have any solution tell me
m
l
!