A.P.II.X4.965 - Suggest a GPU

Gizzo

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
I'm not looking for the best graphics card available, but I want something decent that can do most things without burning up (like my current card).

- This computer will be used for high definition (720/1080p) video editing, and casual gaming (MS FS2004/X, and possibly others).
- I do realise that the motherboard below has a built-in graphics card. Can it handle what I described above? If so, I may use it.
- Cooling isn't an issue, as I'm going to be using the 'Antec 300' case for this computer.

CURRENT SPECIFICATIONS:
MOBO: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 890GX.
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965, 3.4GHz, BE.
RAM: 4GB, DDR3, 1600MHz stock (7-8-7-24).
HD: 1TB, SATA III, 7200rpm, 64MB cache.
PSU: Corsair TX, 80+% efficiency, 650W.

Feel free to give me a poke for more information. Thanks! :)

Gizzo

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009

Thanks for your suggestion. In your opinion, are there any dangers in buying a 'smaller' brand of GPU or PSU? I am definitely going to over-clock this build (just need to learn how), but I'd like to keep cross-firing open as an option. I'll take your advice for the 750W PSU - I don't trust the power calculators littered all over the web anyway.

mkb 58

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2010
PSU is probably the main place to not skimp. Look into Corsair, XFX, Antec, Seasonic and see what suites you best. In terms of GPU, the price won't vary enough to warrant not getting a reputable brand.

Sapphire has the highest resell value and generally can run the highest price. HIS seems to be pretty solid with a slightly lower price. Hope this helps and good luck to you. I'll be making my first build next week :)

Ouch - IGP would have been fine if gaming was not on the table but even so u are left with an overpriced mobo for your needs These days at the higher end of AM3 i would either pick 955BE or 1055T (and clock asap) So in short for your needs @ $660AR
Untitled-1415.jpg

Single GPU options ftw :p