Hard disk optimizing like the very old norton speeddisk

chowa

Honorable
Sep 19, 2012
is there any hd optimizer that will allow ME to place what i want where. ie the old sd would allow me to place .txt-.doc/restore files at the end of the disk and .exe-.dll-page data set at the beginning of the dosk. this would allow the fastest access to program loading and running.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

There are defragmenting applets available, but as HDD get faster and faster, and SSD's are not defragmented, there is less need. The commercial applets like defraggler, perfect disk, and diskkeepr will let you place file types up front or at the end. However, placing data at the end of the drive is used less because it interferes with shrinking the Volume if needed.

Defrag is built into Windows, and in Win-7, and Win-8, it is done once a week as a routine (adjustable). With SSDs, that is turned off by windows, and Optimization (Trim and Garbage collection) is done instead.

With slower CPU's it does make a difference, with the faster CPU's, not so much.

So, unless you turn it off, your HDD's get defragmented weekly.

A good free defragmenter is Defraggler, by Piriform, worth downloading and checking out. It does show you, like SD did (really liked that applet) where data is stored in blocks on the disk, and actually what files are stored there if you are really into it.

Diskkeeper runs continually to keep your HDD optimized.
Perfect Disk is essecially good at moving data up toward the front of the disk so you can shrink a volume, if you need to get it down to fit on an SSD.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Yes, O&O defrag is good, but "Ultimate Defrag" is the best at customizations. But, it sometimes uses a lot of CPU power so it may take a long time.
But just get a hybrid drive or SSD and call it a day. Mechanical drives are slow no matter what.

I miss Norton Disk Doctor, Speedisk and Ghost (Yes, they've discontinued Ghost @v15, back to the Ghost bootdisk I go)