Sign in with
Your question

Win7 problems with identifying displays

Last response: in Windows 7
November 2, 2011 10:58:41 PM

I'm super annoyed and I don't know how to solve this. I just got 2nd monitor plugged new one in dvi#1 & old one in 2nd dvi output and was expecting that it will be treated as display #2, unfortunately no matter what I do old monitor is somehow recognized as display #1 and new one as #2, on top of that my old monitor is on right hand side (don't ask me to move to the left, can't do) and with "extend displays" option when I move cursor I can't move it to the right and appear on my right hand side monitor, instead I have to move it to the left and it appear on left side of my right hand side monitor! Grrrr
What should I do!?
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2011 11:07:03 PM

heheh... ohhk, soo..

With most computers you will have third party software which will do all your display settings for you.. such as .. Ati/Nvidia/Intel (Display Properties)

Your cant do much with the normal windows display properties when you have this software installed.. that's because this software overcomes the windows registry display configuration...

You can usually access these settings which will let you configure your screens normally by right clicking on the desktop and choosing either "Ati Display properties", "Intel Display Properties", or "Nvidia Display Propties" ... this will open a fancy window which will let you do all your normal jazz...

Kachow :) 
m
l
a b C Monitor
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2011 11:28:23 PM

gr0bda said:
I'm super annoyed and I don't know how to solve this. I just got 2nd monitor plugged new one in dvi#1 & old one in 2nd dvi output and was expecting that it will be treated as display #2, unfortunately no matter what I do old monitor is somehow recognized as display #1 and new one as #2, on top of that my old monitor is on right hand side (don't ask me to move to the left, can't do) and with "extend displays" option when I move cursor I can't move it to the right and appear on my right hand side monitor, instead I have to move it to the left and it appear on left side of my right hand side monitor! Grrrr
What should I do!?

Just grab the screen #1 and slide it over #2
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2011 11:30:00 PM

Or re-plug the DVI ports to switch #1 for #2.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2011 11:47:37 PM

I have seen this issue a million times... 90% of the time.. it's the graphic properties installed and all windows display functions are unusable.. because the other graphic properties over run the windows settings...

This is an example of the intel graphic display properties.. for the intel display chipsets..

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-031026.htm

If you are running a intel display chip set you will have the same UI as figure 2 in this link..
m
l
a b C Monitor
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2011 11:55:10 PM

Sure, I'm not saying no, just adding another option, hopefully one of them will work : )

We don't even know what HW gr0bda use.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 2, 2011 11:59:42 PM

Kewl beanzeo! I hope he hasn't forgot about this thread..
m
l
a b C Monitor
a b $ Windows 7
November 3, 2011 12:00:49 AM

I know one thing, its not his home page : )
m
l
a b C Monitor
a b $ Windows 7
November 3, 2011 12:14:01 AM

I never owned nVidia...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 3, 2011 12:15:20 AM

You have never had a Nvidia?
m
l
a b C Monitor
a b $ Windows 7
November 3, 2011 12:23:22 AM

ATI >>> AMD so far, well, I am not a gamer, they switch all the time.

First one was radeon 7000 series : ) because of S-video. Now HD5550,

soon the FirePro V4900.
m
l
November 3, 2011 12:30:03 AM

nikorr said:
I know one thing, its not his home page : )

hehe no it's not! I didn't expect for answers to pile up so fast! I went to a store to pick up some "surely" lucky power ball tickets and by the time I'm back tons of replays.
And to answer the others it never occured to me to try nvidia display options, doh! Hey, c'mon gimmie a break I never dealt with 2 monitors b4!
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 3, 2011 12:32:24 AM

hmmm yum yum, Ima roll AMD FX-8150 when the come out ;S and maybe a 5970 Overclocked edition from pccasegear.com...

Lol.. off topic.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 3, 2011 12:33:32 AM

gr0bda said:
hehe no it's not! I didn't expect for answers to pile up so fast! I went to a store to pick up some "surely" lucky power ball tickets and by the time I'm back tons of replays.
And to answer the others it never occured to me to try nvidia display options, doh! Hey, c'mon gimmie a break I never dealt with 2 monitors b4!

Haha so it was the graphic display settings..?
m
l
November 3, 2011 12:35:34 AM

ok back to frustration. How do I force nvidia control panel to display the monitor I WANT as #1 and not number 2 but main display. For crying out loud I "just" wanna do what I wanna do!
nvidia display has just about same option as win 7 display option I see no difference and I don't see an option where I can set #2 on DVI 1 as #1 on DVI! Grrrr!
At least now left one behaves as left but I need it to identify as #1, or some programs open on display on right instead of left (main)
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 3, 2011 12:36:16 AM

Yea, it's quite a common issue. They should make it that when you select the display properties in windows it opens the third party display properties window... would save alot of hair pulling.
m
l
a b C Monitor
a b $ Windows 7
November 3, 2011 12:45:09 AM

Now he went back to the store to cash those lucky power ball tickets : )
m
l
November 3, 2011 12:47:22 AM

nah still here just trying to figure out how to identify display the way I want. Not win or nvidia
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 3, 2011 12:48:19 AM

lol @ nikorr.

Hey gr0bda just have a fiddle with it.. these things sometimes take 5-10 mins to have down pat for the standard user... just adjust to the software and browse around... I'm sure you will find the correct setting sooner or later.
m
l
November 3, 2011 12:55:57 AM

I don't get it, why if I turn off display #1, then #2 becomes #1, but it will not stay that way if I re-check the other display as active, it goes back to being #2 *main display
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 3, 2011 1:07:24 AM

First reset the windows display settings,... and then try and fix it with the nvidia.
m
l
!