Sign in with
Your question

PC to Mac

Last response: in CPUs
September 15, 2010 8:35:50 AM

hey all,

Just looking for some advice on getting a mac.

I currently have windows 7 running a Pentium D 2.8ghz which is a dual core, and i have lined up a mac mini with 1.8ghz core2duo.

I was wondering if this will be an upgrade or equal.. or worse. i will ONLY be using it for pro-tools, recording etc.

Any advice will be great. thanks in advance

More about : mac

a c 172 à CPUs
September 15, 2010 8:50:26 AM

About 3 years ago when Intel announced the Core2 chips, PC Pro (British computer magazine) benchmarked a lot of CPU's the 2.4 GHz E6600 benched about 60% higher than a 3+ GHz P4.

I'd estimate the Mac has a small, very small, edge on CPU power.
m
l
September 15, 2010 9:11:14 AM

So the Mac will be a tiny bit better?

to my understanding, mac will perform better then a PC with the same CPUs.

what PC CPU speed can you compare with a 1.8ghz mac... if you know what i mean.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
September 15, 2010 11:19:39 AM

StellariuS said:
So the Mac will be a tiny bit better?

to my understanding, mac will perform better then a PC with the same CPUs.

what PC CPU speed can you compare with a 1.8ghz mac... if you know what i mean.

Not true. Macs nowadays use Intel CPU's just like the majority of desktop PC's. The only difference is that Apple charge you more for the same hardware because they package it in a shiny case.

The better question is, why do you want a Mac? Is there a specific application/job function that requires it?
m
l
a c 88 à CPUs
September 15, 2010 11:29:29 AM

Core 2 duo's at 1.8ghz on PC have been phased out and are old news :p . But, no, the MAC wont perform better with the same CPU. you can compare the exact same 1.8 on pc as mac. What you are really comparing, between mac and PC, is MAC OS and Windows. Its hard to compare performance of the OS's, as different programs will perform differently depending on how well they were designed to run with the operating system. Install win7 on the mac and compare it for yourself. Also, you do know protools is made for win7 also....right? PC's also have excellent sound card hardware made for them....not that im trying to put you off the mac or anything....
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2010 12:07:02 PM

Herr_Koos said:
Not true. Macs nowadays use Intel CPU's just like the majority of desktop PC's. The only difference is that Apple charge you more for the same hardware because they package it in a shiny case.

The better question is, why do you want a Mac? Is there a specific application/job function that requires it?

Really, what makes a Mac a Mac is the software and EFI.

Given that the OP is already running Windows (unless he's getting Final Cut etc.) he'll be right with Windows.

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
September 15, 2010 12:23:17 PM

My point exactly. Given that Macs use Intel and Nvidia hardware, the only difference is the packaging and the operating system.
m
l
September 15, 2010 12:34:22 PM

thanks for all the help guys, i guess ill find out which will perform better for me. The mac is only $400 so even if im not entirely happy with its performance, im still getting the experience.. best way to learn. Its not like im gonna ditch this comp, ill have both :na: 

ill let you know how i think the 2.8ghz Pentium D competes with the 1.8ghz core2duo

the whole reason i want to give it a try is because ive had troubles with drivers etc for my recording interface, and i know most producers use macs.

guess ill find out when it gets here.

cheers guys
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 15, 2010 12:56:16 PM

What software do you use?

If it is a cross-platform compatible software like Adobe Soundbooth, I would imagine the interface to be quite similar or even identical.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b $ Windows 7
September 15, 2010 4:17:38 PM

AFG! Where have you been?!?!?

@OP:
A C2D will blow away the Pentium D in moat cases.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2010 12:04:30 PM

Drawing.
m
l
a c 88 à CPUs
September 17, 2010 3:44:30 AM

you can always install windows on your MAC If you get sick of MAC OS....so If your happy buying a 3yr old core 2 1.8ghz, then go for it...
m
l
!