Changing languages

I got a computer for free but the whole thing is in Japanese! How do I change
it to English? it is running XP Pro.
6 answers Last reply
More about changing languages

    Install English software, including an English version of Windows. Some
    bargain, huh?

    Modem Ani

    "Lloyd" <Lloyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I got a computer for free but the whole thing is in Japanese! How do I
    >change
    > it to English? it is running XP Pro.

    There is an English language package on the PC, I checked under the language
    settings. But It will not let me change the default language to English.

    "Modem Ani" wrote:

    > Install English software, including an English version of Windows. Some
    > bargain, huh?
    >
    > Modem Ani
    >
    > "Lloyd" <Lloyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I got a computer for free but the whole thing is in Japanese! How do I
    > >change
    > > it to English? it is running XP Pro.

    That only changes Regional Settings and not the language of Windows.
    If you need Windows in English, you need to buy Windows in English.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    > There is an English language package on the PC, I checked under the
    > language
    > settings. But It will not let me change the default language to English.

    Can I use a legit English Version To simply repair the issue or is a clean
    install required?

    Lloyd wrote:
    > I got a computer for free but the whole thing is in Japanese! How do I change
    > it to English? it is running XP Pro.

    You cannot upgrade or convert from one language version of the OS
    to another, so you'll have to purchase and use the full version of
    WinXP (in whatever language you want) to perform a clean installation.

    Cannot Upgrade or Install a Different Language Version of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;282089

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    A clean Installation is required.

    --

    > Can I use a legit English Version To simply repair the issue or is a clean
    > install required?
    >
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
    >
    >> That only changes Regional Settings and not the language of Windows.
    >> If you need Windows in English, you need to buy Windows in English.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    >> In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol
    >> http://www.dts-l.org
    >>

    >> "Lloyd" <Lloyd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > There is an English language package on the PC, I checked under the
    >> > language
    >> > settings. But It will not let me change the default language to
    >> > English.

Configuration Computers Microsoft Windows XP