Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$500 gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
July 17, 2010 3:28:54 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next 2 months.

BUDGET RANGE: 400-550, possible 600 if needed, preferably Before Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming mostly with WoW, then using the internet.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: OS, Speakers, Mouse, and Keyboard.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, tigerdirect.com

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Us?

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type, don't really care.

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Honestly, i dunno, can you guys prefer a good monitor, price range would be higher if you guys can suggest a good one. At least 17" screen.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I want it to run WoW at least 80 fps, IF that is possible. It has to run at least 50 though. I want it to last a few years, and i want to be able to upgrade it when needed. So fast is wanted very much. Quiet would also be nice.

EDIT: Also i think having at least 2gb ram would help me out a lot, and 4gb would be perfect. I want at least 250gb hard drive MINIMUM, 500gb would be amazing, and higher would be perfect. Video card should be able to run any game, well too.

Also, if you could not tell, i do not really know that much advanced info on computers. I know the basics, just not the advanced. So help is needed here, and sorry if i didn't answer the right stuff.

More about : 500 gaming

a b 4 Gaming
July 17, 2010 3:59:23 AM

Considering a monitor will be needed as well, and you really want a good computer I'd recommend somewhere closer to an 800 dollar budget.

I can get together a 500 build for you, but the parts won't be top quality and they won't last the 3-4 years you would like, in terms of acceptable performance.
m
l
July 17, 2010 4:04:18 AM

well for the 500, how long could it last? and how much performance would i be able to get?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b 4 Gaming
July 17, 2010 4:08:05 AM

Closest I could get is 630 after MIR.

Like I said, I highly recommend a 800 budget.

Honestly I was kinda surprised I managed to get close to the 600 budget, this isn't a terrible build. It has a triple core CPU, a 500 GB HDD, 4 GB of RAM and on a monitor your size the 5770 will be awesome. So maybe I didn't do so bad after all.
July 17, 2010 4:13:29 AM

Yeah i tried to say that i would not mind spending 500-600 for just the computer, no moniter. Considering that you added a monitor, that was pretty good! Now how long would this build last, and how much performance could i expect on max settings?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 17, 2010 4:24:48 AM

If I can exclude the monitor we can probably upgrade the Gfx card and maybe the CPU.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 17, 2010 4:25:47 AM

For the monitor that I included, you would be screaming in WoW. I'd expect 40+ FPS in 25man raids, and probably 25-35 FPS in Dalaran.

As for everywhere else, you'd max out your monitors refresh rate everytime.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 17, 2010 4:27:47 AM

As for how long the build would last, those are all quality components, just not bleeding edge performance items. I'd expect this build to last 2-3 years, but it will suffer graphically if you get a bigger monitor, or as games become more demanding over time.
m
l
July 17, 2010 4:36:22 AM

Quote:
For the monitor that I included, you would be screaming in WoW. I'd expect 40+ FPS in 25man raids, and probably 25-35 FPS in Dalaran.

As for everywhere else, you'd max out your monitors refresh rate everytime.

So i would max out FPS everywhere else other than Dalaran and 25 man raids with max settings? Would that mean it would be choppy or laggy at all? I am only use to 20 fps with low settings.

Quote:
If I can exclude the monitor we can probably upgrade the Gfx card and maybe the CPU.

These upgrades would be what exactly? can you post links so it is easier for me to find? :) 

Quote:
As for how long the build would last, those are all quality components, just not bleeding edge performance items. I'd expect this build to last 2-3 years, but it will suffer graphically if you get a bigger monitor, or as games become more demanding over time.

So these will last 2-3 years, and if i stick with a 18.5" monitor i should be fine?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 17, 2010 4:42:54 AM

Ok so lets go 1 by 1. With the 5770 on a 1366.768 monitor, it's going to be smooth. What you're going to find is that in Dalaran and 25man raids, the game is just poorly coded and for some random reason hogs resources.

With max settings you will be smooth as butter in the world and you'll drop to a minimum 30-40 FPS in raids. By max, it's meant everything but shadows. Because shadows hogs power. I used to leave my shadows at about 1/2. And it still had detailed shadows. I could see my mounts wings flapping in its shadow on the ground really high up.

Well honestly with only 100 dollars to play with in the budget, you wouldn't be able to upgrade to a 5850, and a quad core would show little improvement. You also might lose the combo discount as well.

The more I look at your monitor the more confident I am that this build would really be smooth and quick for you. I really can't see anywhere to improve that would justify the increase in cost.
m
l
July 17, 2010 4:43:18 AM

Ok well i talked with my mom, and that money does not include moniter, just the computer. So can you give me a setup, 500-600, just computer, with links? :)  sorry if that is too much work.

EDIT: Whoops, i posted this right after you posted yours! Sorry! So if you said i should increase my budget, how much money do you mean? Not $800 please! :)  And will it be a great improvement that will be very noticeable?

EDIT #2: And also, the processor, memory, and graphics card are all good quality, and the memory and graphics cards both come from good companies? These three items matter the most to me, because the research i did online shows that these three 'supposedly' do the most damage.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 17, 2010 4:58:53 AM

Absolutely, everything in the build is from a good manufacturer. I definately could have made it alot cheaper if I went with crap builders.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 17, 2010 5:00:02 AM

If you want I can throw together a monitorless 600 dollar build, but it's important that I know what your intended monitor resolution will be in the future. That will dictate hardware needs for the build.

If you're unsure I would probably guess 1680x1050 would be a good ballpark.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 17, 2010 5:10:02 AM

This is 642 after MIR. I upgraded to a Quad Core CPU, and a Fermi 460.

The limitations are: You can only use 1 Gfx card in this set up, but this one is quite good, and will last you for a long time. This will function quite well up to 1920x1080 if you so desire.

If you end up getting the monitor from the previous build, this system would sit at 60 FPS everywhere in WoW, and dip to 40 in Dalaran, and ~45 in 25man raids. If not higher, those are minimums.
m
l
July 17, 2010 5:16:49 AM

Ok, now before i post a really long post, out of the two setups you told me, how much performance difference is there? considering it is like a $100 difference.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 17, 2010 5:18:52 AM

Like i said it depends on the monitor. For the 1st build, the monitor's resolution is 1366x768. Thats much easier to put graphically intensive stuff on, compared to 1920x1080.

So the question is Crusader, if you game on the 18.5" 1366x768 monitor for the life of the build, build 1 is just fine.

If you intend to get a 23" 1920x1080 monitor in the future, build 1 will have to be dropped to "mid" settings to stay at a good 30+ FPS.

Honestly, if you arent going to get a big 23" monitor, go with build 1.
m
l
July 17, 2010 5:27:34 AM

Ok, so i talked with my mom and i asked her what size monitor i should get, she said it would fit best on my desk if i get around a 19" monitor. So i am going to go with build one. So now, i have a few more questions, so that all my questions are 100% answered and i know i will be getting a good deal.

With this setup, i can run WoW with at least 80 fps, max settings, and no shadows, not in Dalaran or raids? Or is it like 40-50?

It will last me 2-3 years?

On that monitors review, the guy said that it is good for movies, not much else, does that mean anything?

This is my first computer i ever put together, it would be fine right?

How long would the combos last before they take them off?

Any pre-made computer at this price would not compete with this custom made one will it?

I should receive no lag and nothing will be choppy, so my raid members wont get mad for slow reactions right?

Is the graphics card going to be great for WoW?

The ram is reliable, and will help immensely compared to my 1gb wont it?

The processor is also one of the higher quality types too right?

I will be happy with this purchase, coming from a guy who uses a dell inspiron laptop with 20fps right?

Thank you so much for your help cmcghee, i have been doing research for awhile and could never get a good setup, and now i got one from you!
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 17, 2010 5:35:02 AM

Yes to all. a big freaking yes about this comparison to a Dell laptop lol.

No it's not hard to put together.

For the monitor he was referring to the speakers being only good for online TV shows. Which is true. But you already have speakers so I don't even consider the monitor speakers anything. JUst pretend they are a back up in case a younger sibling steals your speakers.

The combo's should last for quite awhile, but some of the random instant discounts might fluctuate

Premade computer: There arent any premade gaming computers at this price point, so yes this will destroy a Dell in gaming.

You should have 0 lag. You will have a significant improvement over your current computer. It's like playing a whole new game when you actually get to see whats going on. I'm sure your DPS will increase from the performance of the PC alone.

G.SKILL is a good brand of RAM, and I made sure to pick out some RAM with a good speed, and a good latency. It's a highly recommended RAM on these forums

AMD makes great processors. This is a triple core, luckily WoW currently only uses 3 cores, so lucky you, it fits perfect.

And I'm glad I could help.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 17, 2010 5:37:01 AM

Also the monitor has a refresh rate of around 60, meaning that even though your Graphics card will pump out upwards of 100 FPS in remote areas, the monitor will still only display 60 FPS. Thats what the vertical sync setting is under the graphics in WoW.

It matches your Graphics card to the maximum FPS of the monitor.

I've had my computer with over 170 FPS in Ironforge, but the monitor still could only "refresh" its image 60 times per second. That make sense?
m
l
July 17, 2010 5:44:22 AM

Idk if i got that right. Are you saying that, no matter how much fps my computer is pumping, the most fps i would see would be 60 because of the monitor?
m
l
July 17, 2010 5:51:12 AM

cmcghee358 said:
Yes to all. a big freaking yes about this comparison to a Dell laptop lol.

No it's not hard to put together.

For the monitor he was referring to the speakers being only good for online TV shows. Which is true. But you already have speakers so I don't even consider the monitor speakers anything. JUst pretend they are a back up in case a younger sibling steals your speakers.

The combo's should last for quite awhile, but some of the random instant discounts might fluctuate

Premade computer: There arent any premade gaming computers at this price point, so yes this will destroy a Dell in gaming.

You should have 0 lag. You will have a significant improvement over your current computer. It's like playing a whole new game when you actually get to see whats going on. I'm sure your DPS will increase from the performance of the PC alone.

G.SKILL is a good brand of RAM, and I made sure to pick out some RAM with a good speed, and a good latency. It's a highly recommended RAM on these forums

AMD makes great processors. This is a triple core, luckily WoW currently only uses 3 cores, so lucky you, it fits perfect.

And I'm glad I could help.

Well then this all works out perfectly! Its just in my price range! Haha and my laptop is really slow. I am just wanting an upgrade now.

About the speakers on the computer, i did not see that, that's fantastic to know that it is the speakers and not the video. I am the youngest at 15, but am the most mature, like 18 from what my friends say, so maybe she won't steal it. :) 

I am sure hoping it is a great improvement! :) 

And good thing that they only use 3 cores, haha, but im sure in cataclysm that they will use 4.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 17, 2010 6:29:08 AM

Doubtful. Blizzard is smart, they build their games across a very wide spectrum of hardware so that everyone can enjoy it. I'm sure in Cataclysm at that resolution you'll be 40+ FPS everywhere.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 17, 2010 6:30:05 AM

crusader513 said:
Idk if i got that right. Are you saying that, no matter how much fps my computer is pumping, the most fps i would see would be 60 because of the monitor?

Yes thats exactly what I meant. Good news is you cant tell the difference between 40 and 80 FPS with the naked eye(barring any lag spikes, which you shouldnt have)
m
l
July 17, 2010 7:06:23 AM

Yay, school actually helps! That is great news about the fps though. I think tripling my FPS is extremely useful. But is this going to be at max setting and no shadows, or mid settings? I also use the second lowest resolution setting possible, with every other video setting sitting as low as possible too.

Quote:
Doubtful. Blizzard is smart, they build their games across a very wide spectrum of hardware so that everyone can enjoy it. I'm sure in Cataclysm at that resolution you'll be 40+ FPS everywhere.

That is great too! Thanks again for all your help.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 17, 2010 7:39:10 AM

This will be max settings with mid shadow(rarely does anyone play max shadows because it even bogs down the best systems some, and there is little change in the actual shadows to warrant the resoruces used)

You're going to be playing at max(except shadow) and max resolution. You're going to love me after this build lol
m
l
July 17, 2010 8:27:56 PM

Ok, that clarifies everything, except for just one more thing. Can i use other monitors that have the same resolution and size? Just in case.

Haha i am sure i will love you too, like a brotherly love. :D 
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 17, 2010 8:39:04 PM

Yeah you can probably safely use up to 1680x1050 resolution. Just understand that the higher the resolution, the lower your FPS will get.

By comparison I'd guess 1366x768 in Dalaran at 35 FPS
1680x1050 in Dalaran 30 FPS.

Just as an example
m
l
July 17, 2010 9:23:44 PM

Ok so it would definitely be best to get a 1366x768 resolution monitor, and if i can't, i guess a 1680x1050 is the next best?
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 18, 2010 4:20:23 AM

Yar. I think anything over 1680x1050 would push your Gfx card a little
m
l
July 18, 2010 6:59:10 AM

OK, well you answered every single one of my questions. I will try to order ASAP, so thanks again for all your help. Have a nice week! :D 
m
l
July 18, 2010 7:00:06 AM

Best answer selected by crusader513.
m
l
a b 4 Gaming
July 18, 2010 7:22:17 AM

If you hit any snags come back here.

Also reference this thread for a good step by step how to build.
m
l
!