Sign in with
Your question

Best free burning software that works on glitchy DVD Burner?

Last response: in Storage
September 20, 2012 11:38:28 AM

What is the best free burning software that will burn on a DVD writer that troubles sometimes?

I have a Optiarc 5500S on my HP G70 120 laptop, and recently its causing trouble reading discs. Sometimes it can read discs at other times it cannot. Tried everything to fix it including cleaning, updating driver software, with no luck. I seriously need to backup my data, and the only way now is to write it to DVDs.

So I really need a free burner, that can work on a troubling writer. I tried Ashampoo 6, but it crashes during the middle of the burning process, when the DVD writer starts loading again.

a b G Storage
September 20, 2012 7:32:13 PM

If the hardware is failing, then any software attempting to use that hardware will tend to face the same set of problems. So, if you need a free burning program, I might suggest CDBurnerXP (don't let the name fool you, it works on Vista and 7 just fine), but it won't magically make the drive hardware work any better. Sorry.
September 21, 2012 6:08:58 AM

cl-scott said:
If the hardware is failing, then any software attempting to use that hardware will tend to face the same set of problems. So, if you need a free burning program, I might suggest CDBurnerXP (don't let the name fool you, it works on Vista and 7 just fine), but it won't magically make the drive hardware work any better. Sorry.

I am a PC newbie, but I dont think the hardware is failing. I havent used the drive much, and it isnt old much. Also, it reads fine sometimes, while sometimes it doesnt.

I have read about CDBurner XP, BurnAware and other such burner. Are there any burners out there that can be paused during burning and resumed? Since my optical drive is stopping and resuming again, I guess a software that can pause and resume burning might help smooth out the burning process.

Can you name such a burner: one that has pause and resume burning and other features for smooth burning on faulty drives?
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 21, 2012 4:52:19 PM

Generally, no, once you start burning something you're committed to the process and there's no stopping it. But a product being new or seldom used is not a guarantee of it's lack of defect. Your problem sounds very much like a bad drive, which is good relatively speaking, since it means it should still be well within warranty and you can get it replaced.
September 25, 2012 11:15:32 AM

Get the latest firmware from Optiarc, and use a disc cleaner, it might help. Also, DVD Author Plus is excellent. It is totally free, easy to use and works perfectly. It will burn video DVDs from your files that will work on any DVD player. It can also backup to ISO, copy DVD to DVD and burn ISO files.
a c 386 G Storage
September 25, 2012 12:01:20 PM

Update the firmware as suggested. You should also try changing the media you are using. Not all CD's/DVD's are made the same. The dye they use makes a difference. Just check any of the media forums. They always list which media tends to be best at the moment.
!