Best way to split two DVI monitors with 2 different resolutions?

modezer0

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
I've done some poking around on the forum but I can't seem to find a solid answer.

Currently I'm running one 22" one 24" and one 43"

I am running a split dvi cable right now to my 24" and 43" and the signal is terrible. I've thought about getting a splitter/signal booster but this leads me to my next issue.

The main issue I have is I want to run the 24" natively at 1920 x 1080 and the 43" at 1280 x 720 - I don't care if the monitor is a clone of the 24"

So far I've come across the matrox TripleHead2Go and DualHead2Go adapters.
So would this be the best thing for me?

I'm mainly looking to stream Video to the 43" and use the other two monitors as workspace. So performance is a factor.

By the way, I'm running an eVGA Nvidia Geforce 260 GTX - I'm sure this wouldn't be an issue with a Radeon, and I'm def. leaning towards upgrading with them in the near future but if I can save a buck with an adapter I will, if not it might be worth upgrading my video card, and if so what Radeon would be best?

Thanks so much,
I would really appreciate all of your feedback :hello:

Regards,
Lucas.

Solution

hooray4boobies

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Hey Lucas,

I can't suggest anything on the splitter cable/box side of things, but I think the radeon 5850 is the lowest card that supports 3 monitors and with seperate resolutions for each...and this would be fine for video and work purposes. Cheap too! And most likely the easiest/cheapest solution to your problem.

I have 5970 with 3 monitors...but that is a large amount of overkill for you.

hooray4boobies

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Apologies, i lied!! Apparantly the 5xxx series all support 3 monitors...the only problem is below the 5750, they have 1xVGA, 1xHDMI & 1xDVI connectors...which is a pain. The 5750 however, has 2xDVI and 1xHDMI...which would be my recommendation.

modezer0

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010

Thanks for the advice, the only issue I've heard with the ATI cards, are in order to run three monitors they all need to be the same exact resolution and refresh rate? Is this true?

Regards,
Lucas

hooray4boobies

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Solution