Risk keeping old power supply?

lubey

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Hey everyone,

I'm about to built a new pc and trying to decide whether to keep my old power supply or just get a new one.

I'm gonna get an i5-760 (gonna OC it) and a HD 5850. Internet power calculators on the net suggest ~500W is required for this.

I have an almost 3 year old Antec EarthWatts 500W PSU from this current pc, with combined max 34A (i.e. 408 W) across the +12V rails. Its a damn fine psu that's served me well inside my antec sonata case but I'd be cutting it mighty close, what do you guys reckon???

Cheers

The Antec Earthwatts models are pretty good power supplies. You should be okay.

Here are the official power requirements for the ATI Radeon HD 5850 and HD 5870 video cards.

ATI Radeon™ HD5850 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

ATI Radeon™ HD5870 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard.

500 Watt or greater power supply with two, 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® power connectors.

600 Watt or greater power supply with four, 75 watt, 6-pin, PCI Express® connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode.

The power supply recommendations are for an entire pc system.

lubey

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
Hmm thanks for your input, at this stage I reckon I'll just re-use the earthwatts, still not 100% sure though. A new psu would make installation easier but its probably money better spent elsewhere.