ACHI on Samsung 830 ssd won't boot into windows!

maxh22

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
Hey, I recently installed a samsung 830 ssd on my moms pc and it works perfectly on IDE mode, I wanted to get it to work on ACHI mode because of the performance increase.

I followed these directions:

1. Exit all Windows-based programs.
2. Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
3. If you receive the User Account Control dialog box, click Continue.
4. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci
5. In the right pane, right-click Start in the Name column, and then click Modify.
6. In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
7. On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

After I restarted my pc I booted into the bios and Changed into ACHI mode, after I saved and exited It wouldn't boot into windows, it was stuck and was telling me to press space to continue but my Keyboard wasn't responding.

She has an Asus p6t Deluxe motherboard..

Can someone help me? :??:

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Just to ask, why did you install the SSD in IDE mode from the very beginning? Also, does this system also have a HDD installed? If so, was the HDD physically installed and connected to the system when you installed the SSD?

For best, long term, results, you should consider re-installing Win 7 with only the SSD installed, in AHCI mode. After doing that, you can reattach the HDD and begin to install apps.

Please clarify.

maxh22

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

I know it's best to re-install however I can not. This is my moms business PC computer and she is an accountant and a Real estate brocher.

There would just be too much work involved.

the HDD was already installed and I cloned everything onto the SSD.

maxh22

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

I already did that, It's the first boot drive in the bios.

The drive only works in IDE mode, I couldn't get it to work in ACHI mode.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If you disconnected the HDD from the mix, will the SSD boot in AHCI mode? If not, you might disconnect the HDD, do a System Repair via the install DVD with only the SSD attached and "fix" the MBR (System Reserved partition). Once the system will boot in AHCI mode with the SSD, you can re-connect the HDD and then use Disk Management to remove the System Reserved partition on the HDD.

mwis0n

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

Exactly what method did you use to "clone" the original hard drive to the SSD?

maxh22

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012

When I un-plugged the HDD it booted and was stuck with a black screen saying:

NO VIRTUAL DISK!

NO PHYSICAL DISK!