Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

UMODs wont install

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 9:21:25 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

Please somebody help me with this one.....

When I try to install a UMOD (Remote Strike for instance), I get an error
which tells me that UMODS can't be installed into the folder (which is the
default C:\UT2004 ).

Is there a way round this?

TIA

BGG

More about : umods wont install

Anonymous
June 6, 2004 2:08:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

"Billy Goat Gruff" <alb@ross.com> wrote in
news:2i91g4FknhfpU1@uni-berlin.de:

> Please somebody help me with this one.....
>
> When I try to install a UMOD (Remote Strike for instance), I get an
> error which tells me that UMODS can't be installed into the folder
> (which is the default C:\UT2004 ).
>
> Is there a way round this?

Have you tried dropping the UMOD onto C:\UT2004\System\Setup.exe? That
should install it, if the associations are broken....

--
Andrew Timson
==============================
Benford's Corollary to Clarke's Law:
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 8:22:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

Andrew Timson <arsenicman33@deletethissectionhotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns94FFB8A3A63E3andrewtimsonorg@141.211.2.240>...
> "Billy Goat Gruff" <alb@ross.com> wrote in
> news:2i91g4FknhfpU1@uni-berlin.de:
>
> > Please somebody help me with this one.....
> >
> > When I try to install a UMOD (Remote Strike for instance), I get an
> > error which tells me that UMODS can't be installed into the folder
> > (which is the default C:\UT2004 ).
> >
> > Is there a way round this?
>
> Have you tried dropping the UMOD onto C:\UT2004\System\Setup.exe? That
> should install it, if the associations are broken....

It's a simple matter of restoring the file associations in Windows.
There are some simple and well illustrated instructions at:
http://www.planetunreal.com/teamvortex/help/data/docs/f...

Cheers,
Happydog
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 11:59:10 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

happydog@tokyo.com (Happydog) Blessed us with
news:D 366cb15.0406200322.4b897f82@posting.google.com:

> Andrew Timson <arsenicman33@deletethissectionhotmail.com> wrote
> in message
> news:<Xns94FFB8A3A63E3andrewtimsonorg@141.211.2.240>...
>> "Billy Goat Gruff" <alb@ross.com> wrote in
>> news:2i91g4FknhfpU1@uni-berlin.de:
>>
>> > Please somebody help me with this one.....
>> >
>> > When I try to install a UMOD (Remote Strike for instance), I
>> > get an error which tells me that UMODS can't be installed
>> > into the folder (which is the default C:\UT2004 ).
>> >
>> > Is there a way round this?
>>
>> Have you tried dropping the UMOD onto
>> C:\UT2004\System\Setup.exe? That should install it, if the
>> associations are broken....
>
> It's a simple matter of restoring the file associations in
> Windows. There are some simple and well illustrated instructions
> at:
> http://www.planetunreal.com/teamvortex/help/data/docs/f...
>
> Cheers, Happydog

I had this happen to me only one time where the computer didn't
know what the heck a .umod file was. I had UT installed but
still the computer was clueless as to what a .umod file was.
I found all of the files, changes, and registry enteries in
a file called "Manifest.ini" in the UT\System folder. I
checked out each one of the reg entries to find out there
were some missing or had been changed!. It boiled down to
me having another game that uses the Unreal Engine called
Klingon Honor Guard installed and it uses some of the same
reg enteries. It goofed the registry big time for both games!
A quick browse through the Manifest.ini proved productive
though!

--
J

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 12:45:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

"Happydog" <happydog@tokyo.com> wrote in message
news:D 366cb15.0406200322.4b897f82@posting.google.com...
> Andrew Timson <arsenicman33@deletethissectionhotmail.com> wrote in message
news:<Xns94FFB8A3A63E3andrewtimsonorg@141.211.2.240>...
> > "Billy Goat Gruff" <alb@ross.com> wrote in
> > news:2i91g4FknhfpU1@uni-berlin.de:
> >
> > > Please somebody help me with this one.....
> > >
> > > When I try to install a UMOD (Remote Strike for instance), I get an
> > > error which tells me that UMODS can't be installed into the folder
> > > (which is the default C:\UT2004 ).
> > >
> > > Is there a way round this?
> >
> > Have you tried dropping the UMOD onto C:\UT2004\System\Setup.exe? That
> > should install it, if the associations are broken....
>
> It's a simple matter of restoring the file associations in Windows.
> There are some simple and well illustrated instructions at:
> http://www.planetunreal.com/teamvortex/help/data/docs/f...

I'm having the same problem, and none of this works. Other UMODs
find the game, so I can't think of an explanation. Is there any way to
extract the files from a UMOD manually?
June 26, 2004 3:03:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

SFM enlightened us with:
> I'm having the same problem, and none of this works. Other UMODs
> find the game, so I can't think of an explanation. Is there any way
> to extract the files from a UMOD manually?

There is an UMod extractor for Linux, which is written in Perl. It
should run on Windows too, perhaps with a little modification because
Windows uses backslashes to separate directories, instead of forward
slashes.

MeltDown
--
!For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 8:13:29 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> Blessed us
with news:slrncdqf2u.64c.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com:

> SFM enlightened us with:
>> I'm having the same problem, and none of this works. Other
>> UMODs find the game, so I can't think of an explanation. Is
>> there any way to extract the files from a UMOD manually?
>
> There is an UMod extractor for Linux, which is written in Perl.
> It should run on Windows too, perhaps with a little modification
> because Windows uses backslashes to separate directories,
> instead of forward slashes.
>
> MeltDown

You can also use ucc.exe to extract files from a .umod can't you?
It's a pretty complicated process for someone who has never done
it before but I have done it several times myself just to see if
it *could* be done. If you're running a version of Windows you
should be able to drop a copy of a command prompt in the UT\System
folder, double click it, and type "ucc updateumod
thenameoftheumod.umod list" without the quotes to list all of the
files contained in the umod then just replace the word list with
the word extract to extract all of the files one at a time. There
is no way to use ucc.exe to extract all of the files at one time
and all of the files extracted will be placed in the UT\System
folder so if there are any files there that are named the same
they will be overwritten!.

--
J

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 8:27:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

JHall <jhall@playmlec.net> Blessed us with
news:acb865cabbb12bd6c4bf09eb22181f83@news.teranews.com:


> You can also use ucc.exe to extract files from a .umod can't you?
> It's a pretty complicated process for someone who has never done
> it before but I have done it several times myself just to see if
> it *could* be done. If you're running a version of Windows you
> should be able to drop a copy of a command prompt in the UT\System
> folder, double click it, and type "ucc updateumod
> thenameoftheumod.umod list" without the quotes to list all of the
> files contained in the umod then just replace the word list with
> the word extract to extract all of the files one at a time. There
> is no way to use ucc.exe to extract all of the files at one time
> and all of the files extracted will be placed in the UT\System
> folder so if there are any files there that are named the same
> they will be overwritten!.
>

Sorry for replying to myself here but I made a mistake! You type
"ucc updateumod command filename.umod" into the DOS command
prompt. The word *command* above is replaced by any of the
following: Extract, Add, Delete, Replace, or List. Filename is
replaced with the name of the umod file you want to extract the
files from. You have to first use the List command to see the
names of the files contained in the umod before they can be
extracted though!. Try typing "ucc help updateumod" into the
DOS prompt and it will give you the usage instructions!.

--
J

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 11:17:53 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

Thanks! I figured UCC might come in handy some day.

"JHall" <jhall@playmlec.net> wrote in message
news:D 7e609c85776469157ef89899f2e6e2c@news.teranews.com...
> JHall <jhall@playmlec.net> Blessed us with
> news:acb865cabbb12bd6c4bf09eb22181f83@news.teranews.com:
>
>
> > You can also use ucc.exe to extract files from a .umod can't you?
> > It's a pretty complicated process for someone who has never done
> > it before but I have done it several times myself just to see if
> > it *could* be done. If you're running a version of Windows you
> > should be able to drop a copy of a command prompt in the UT\System
> > folder, double click it, and type "ucc updateumod
> > thenameoftheumod.umod list" without the quotes to list all of the
> > files contained in the umod then just replace the word list with
> > the word extract to extract all of the files one at a time. There
> > is no way to use ucc.exe to extract all of the files at one time
> > and all of the files extracted will be placed in the UT\System
> > folder so if there are any files there that are named the same
> > they will be overwritten!.
> >
>
> Sorry for replying to myself here but I made a mistake! You type
> "ucc updateumod command filename.umod" into the DOS command
> prompt. The word *command* above is replaced by any of the
> following: Extract, Add, Delete, Replace, or List. Filename is
> replaced with the name of the umod file you want to extract the
> files from. You have to first use the List command to see the
> names of the files contained in the umod before they can be
> extracted though!. Try typing "ucc help updateumod" into the
> DOS prompt and it will give you the usage instructions!.
>
> --
> J
>
> "Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."
>
> Mr.K
>
> For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
> or UT2004.
> http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 3:06:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

"SFM" <samsonfm@hotmail.com> Blessed us with
news:BwuDc.29881$Y3.17459@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

> Thanks! I figured UCC might come in handy some day.


YW! Glad the info was of some use anyway!. MeltDown mentioned
something about a umod extractor for Linux and I started to
wonder if the Linux version of the game even has ucc.exe or
not since ucc.exe is a DOS console program and DOS is another
one of Bill Gates' neglected children. :-)

--
J

"Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

Mr.K

For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
or UT2004.
http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
June 27, 2004 8:21:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

JHall enlightened us with:
> MeltDown mentioned something about a umod extractor for Linux and I
> started to wonder if the Linux version of the game even has ucc.exe

Not 'ucc.exe', but just 'ucc'. The fact that it's an executable is
determined by the filesystem, not the file's name.

> or not since ucc.exe is a DOS console program

It's not, it's a Windows console program. Try running it under a
*real* DOS.

MeltDown
--
!For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 4:33:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

Get the UnrealTournament utilities from http://www.acordero.org

Their UMod extraction tool is *VERY* useful
:) 

I've even used it successfully on UT2k4 UMods



Jenifur Charne
Jenifur at Hypermax Net AU


On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 08:45:33 GMT, "SFM" <samsonfm@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Happydog" <happydog@tokyo.com> wrote in message
>news:D 366cb15.0406200322.4b897f82@posting.google.com...
>> Andrew Timson <arsenicman33@deletethissectionhotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:<Xns94FFB8A3A63E3andrewtimsonorg@141.211.2.240>...
>> > "Billy Goat Gruff" <alb@ross.com> wrote in
>> > news:2i91g4FknhfpU1@uni-berlin.de:
>> >
>> > > Please somebody help me with this one.....
>> > >
>> > > When I try to install a UMOD (Remote Strike for instance), I get an
>> > > error which tells me that UMODS can't be installed into the folder
>> > > (which is the default C:\UT2004 ).
>> > >
>> > > Is there a way round this?
>> >
>> > Have you tried dropping the UMOD onto C:\UT2004\System\Setup.exe? That
>> > should install it, if the associations are broken....
>>
>> It's a simple matter of restoring the file associations in Windows.
>> There are some simple and well illustrated instructions at:
>> http://www.planetunreal.com/teamvortex/help/data/docs/f...
>
>I'm having the same problem, and none of this works. Other UMODs
>find the game, so I can't think of an explanation. Is there any way to
>extract the files from a UMOD manually?
>
!