UMODs wont install

Please somebody help me with this one.....

When I try to install a UMOD (Remote Strike for instance), I get an error
which tells me that UMODS can't be installed into the folder (which is the
default C:\UT2004 ).

Is there a way round this?

TIA

BGG
11 answers Last reply
More about umods wont install

    "Billy Goat Gruff" <alb@ross.com> wrote in

    > Please somebody help me with this one.....
    >
    > When I try to install a UMOD (Remote Strike for instance), I get an
    > error which tells me that UMODS can't be installed into the folder
    > (which is the default C:\UT2004 ).
    >
    > Is there a way round this?

    Have you tried dropping the UMOD onto C:\UT2004\System\Setup.exe? That
    should install it, if the associations are broken....

    --
    Andrew Timson
    ==============================

    Andrew Timson <arsenicman33@deletethissectionhotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Xns94FFB8A3A63E3andrewtimsonorg@141.211.2.240>...
    > "Billy Goat Gruff" <alb@ross.com> wrote in
    >
    > > Please somebody help me with this one.....
    > >
    > > When I try to install a UMOD (Remote Strike for instance), I get an
    > > error which tells me that UMODS can't be installed into the folder
    > > (which is the default C:\UT2004 ).
    > >
    > > Is there a way round this?
    >
    > Have you tried dropping the UMOD onto C:\UT2004\System\Setup.exe? That
    > should install it, if the associations are broken....

    It's a simple matter of restoring the file associations in Windows.
    There are some simple and well illustrated instructions at:
    http://www.planetunreal.com/teamvortex/help/data/docs/faq.html

    Cheers,
    Happydog

    happydog@tokyo.com (Happydog) Blessed us with

    > Andrew Timson <arsenicman33@deletethissectionhotmail.com> wrote
    > in message
    >> "Billy Goat Gruff" <alb@ross.com> wrote in
    >>
    >> > Please somebody help me with this one.....
    >> >
    >> > When I try to install a UMOD (Remote Strike for instance), I
    >> > get an error which tells me that UMODS can't be installed
    >> > into the folder (which is the default C:\UT2004 ).
    >> >
    >> > Is there a way round this?
    >>
    >> Have you tried dropping the UMOD onto
    >> C:\UT2004\System\Setup.exe? That should install it, if the
    >> associations are broken....
    >
    > It's a simple matter of restoring the file associations in
    > Windows. There are some simple and well illustrated instructions
    > at:
    > http://www.planetunreal.com/teamvortex/help/data/docs/faq.html
    >
    > Cheers, Happydog

    I had this happen to me only one time where the computer didn't
    know what the heck a .umod file was. I had UT installed but
    still the computer was clueless as to what a .umod file was.
    I found all of the files, changes, and registry enteries in
    a file called "Manifest.ini" in the UT\System folder. I
    checked out each one of the reg entries to find out there
    were some missing or had been changed!. It boiled down to
    me having another game that uses the Unreal Engine called
    Klingon Honor Guard installed and it uses some of the same
    reg enteries. It goofed the registry big time for both games!
    A quick browse through the Manifest.ini proved productive
    though!

    "Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

    Mr.K

    For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
    or UT2004.
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq

    "Happydog" <happydog@tokyo.com> wrote in message
    > Andrew Timson <arsenicman33@deletethissectionhotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > "Billy Goat Gruff" <alb@ross.com> wrote in
    > >
    > > > Please somebody help me with this one.....
    > > >
    > > > When I try to install a UMOD (Remote Strike for instance), I get an
    > > > error which tells me that UMODS can't be installed into the folder
    > > > (which is the default C:\UT2004 ).
    > > >
    > > > Is there a way round this?
    > >
    > > Have you tried dropping the UMOD onto C:\UT2004\System\Setup.exe? That
    > > should install it, if the associations are broken....
    >
    > It's a simple matter of restoring the file associations in Windows.
    > There are some simple and well illustrated instructions at:
    > http://www.planetunreal.com/teamvortex/help/data/docs/faq.html

    I'm having the same problem, and none of this works. Other UMODs
    find the game, so I can't think of an explanation. Is there any way to
    extract the files from a UMOD manually?
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    SFM enlightened us with:
    > I'm having the same problem, and none of this works. Other UMODs
    > find the game, so I can't think of an explanation. Is there any way
    > to extract the files from a UMOD manually?

    There is an UMod extractor for Linux, which is written in Perl. It
    should run on Windows too, perhaps with a little modification because
    Windows uses backslashes to separate directories, instead of forward
    slashes.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    MeltDown <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.imagination.org> Blessed us
    with news:slrncdqf2u.64c.meltdownUSE@sybren.thirdtower.com:

    > SFM enlightened us with:
    >> I'm having the same problem, and none of this works. Other
    >> UMODs find the game, so I can't think of an explanation. Is
    >> there any way to extract the files from a UMOD manually?
    >
    > There is an UMod extractor for Linux, which is written in Perl.
    > It should run on Windows too, perhaps with a little modification
    > because Windows uses backslashes to separate directories,
    > instead of forward slashes.
    >
    > MeltDown

    You can also use ucc.exe to extract files from a .umod can't you?
    It's a pretty complicated process for someone who has never done
    it before but I have done it several times myself just to see if
    it *could* be done. If you're running a version of Windows you
    should be able to drop a copy of a command prompt in the UT\System
    folder, double click it, and type "ucc updateumod
    thenameoftheumod.umod list" without the quotes to list all of the
    files contained in the umod then just replace the word list with
    the word extract to extract all of the files one at a time. There
    is no way to use ucc.exe to extract all of the files at one time
    and all of the files extracted will be placed in the UT\System
    folder so if there are any files there that are named the same
    they will be overwritten!.

    "Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

    Mr.K

    For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
    or UT2004.
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    JHall <jhall@playmlec.net> Blessed us with

    > You can also use ucc.exe to extract files from a .umod can't you?
    > It's a pretty complicated process for someone who has never done
    > it before but I have done it several times myself just to see if
    > it *could* be done. If you're running a version of Windows you
    > should be able to drop a copy of a command prompt in the UT\System
    > folder, double click it, and type "ucc updateumod
    > thenameoftheumod.umod list" without the quotes to list all of the
    > files contained in the umod then just replace the word list with
    > the word extract to extract all of the files one at a time. There
    > is no way to use ucc.exe to extract all of the files at one time
    > and all of the files extracted will be placed in the UT\System
    > folder so if there are any files there that are named the same
    > they will be overwritten!.

    Sorry for replying to myself here but I made a mistake! You type
    "ucc updateumod command filename.umod" into the DOS command
    prompt. The word *command* above is replaced by any of the
    following: Extract, Add, Delete, Replace, or List. Filename is
    replaced with the name of the umod file you want to extract the
    files from. You have to first use the List command to see the
    names of the files contained in the umod before they can be
    extracted though!. Try typing "ucc help updateumod" into the
    DOS prompt and it will give you the usage instructions!.

    "Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

    Mr.K

    For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
    or UT2004.
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Thanks! I figured UCC might come in handy some day.

    "JHall" <jhall@playmlec.net> wrote in message
    > JHall <jhall@playmlec.net> Blessed us with
    >

    > > You can also use ucc.exe to extract files from a .umod can't you?
    > > It's a pretty complicated process for someone who has never done
    > > it before but I have done it several times myself just to see if
    > > it *could* be done. If you're running a version of Windows you
    > > should be able to drop a copy of a command prompt in the UT\System
    > > folder, double click it, and type "ucc updateumod
    > > thenameoftheumod.umod list" without the quotes to list all of the
    > > files contained in the umod then just replace the word list with
    > > the word extract to extract all of the files one at a time. There
    > > is no way to use ucc.exe to extract all of the files at one time
    > > and all of the files extracted will be placed in the UT\System
    > > folder so if there are any files there that are named the same
    > > they will be overwritten!.
    > >

    > Sorry for replying to myself here but I made a mistake! You type
    > "ucc updateumod command filename.umod" into the DOS command
    > prompt. The word *command* above is replaced by any of the
    > following: Extract, Add, Delete, Replace, or List. Filename is
    > replaced with the name of the umod file you want to extract the
    > files from. You have to first use the List command to see the
    > names of the files contained in the umod before they can be
    > extracted though!. Try typing "ucc help updateumod" into the
    > DOS prompt and it will give you the usage instructions!.

    > "Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."
    >
    > Mr.K
    >
    > For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
    > or UT2004.
    > http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    "SFM" <samsonfm@hotmail.com> Blessed us with

    > Thanks! I figured UCC might come in handy some day.

    YW! Glad the info was of some use anyway!. MeltDown mentioned
    something about a umod extractor for Linux and I started to
    wonder if the Linux version of the game even has ucc.exe or
    not since ucc.exe is a DOS console program and DOS is another
    one of Bill Gates' neglected children. :-)

    "Best?? Only a fool will assume they're the best."

    Mr.K

    For questions you may have concerning UT, UT2003,
    or UT2004.
    http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    JHall enlightened us with:
    > MeltDown mentioned something about a umod extractor for Linux and I
    > started to wonder if the Linux version of the game even has ucc.exe

    Not 'ucc.exe', but just 'ucc'. The fact that it's an executable is
    determined by the filesystem, not the file's name.

    > or not since ucc.exe is a DOS console program

    It's not, it's a Windows console program. Try running it under a
    *real* DOS.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    Get the UnrealTournament utilities from http://www.acordero.org

    Their UMod extraction tool is *VERY* useful
    :)

    I've even used it successfully on UT2k4 UMods

    Jenifur Charne
    Jenifur at Hypermax Net AU

    On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 08:45:33 GMT, "SFM" <samsonfm@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >"Happydog" <happydog@tokyo.com> wrote in message
    >> Andrew Timson <arsenicman33@deletethissectionhotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > "Billy Goat Gruff" <alb@ross.com> wrote in

    >> > Have you tried dropping the UMOD onto C:\UT2004\System\Setup.exe? That
    >> > should install it, if the associations are broken....
    >>
    >> It's a simple matter of restoring the file associations in Windows.
    >> There are some simple and well illustrated instructions at:
    >> http://www.planetunreal.com/teamvortex/help/data/docs/faq.html
    >
    >I'm having the same problem, and none of this works. Other UMODs
    >find the game, so I can't think of an explanation. Is there any way to
    >extract the files from a UMOD manually?

Default Games Video Games