Amd phenom !!*6 anygood

gauravtushir

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
hello
i am gonna to buy a new system previously i have been using intel core2duo e8300 now i am kind of confused whether i should go with intel core!5 750 or new 6 core amd processor . there is hardly 2$ difference between !5 and x6 in their starting model . what you people suggest..

Solution
There is no way to say without knowing your intended uses for the system. You didn't even tell us which models of i5 and x6 you are talking about. For the sake of trying to help, so the i5 quad core at 2.66GHz and I will assume the x6 at 2.8GHz. So until you give us the information we need, here is a general guide:

The core i5:
-faster per core, even at lower clockspeeds.
-therefore better in single threaded tasks
-4 cores more than enough for game user or office user. most others do not benefit.

The phenom II x6:
-slower per core, even at higher clockspeeds.
-each core at about 3.6GHz could match the i5 at 2.6GHz in all tasks.
-6 cores bring about advantages in multi-threaded applications such as video encoding, editing, ray tracing...
There is no way to say without knowing your intended uses for the system. You didn't even tell us which models of i5 and x6 you are talking about. For the sake of trying to help, so the i5 quad core at 2.66GHz and I will assume the x6 at 2.8GHz. So until you give us the information we need, here is a general guide:

The core i5:
-faster per core, even at lower clockspeeds.
-therefore better in single threaded tasks
-4 cores more than enough for game user or office user. most others do not benefit.

The phenom II x6:
-slower per core, even at higher clockspeeds.
-each core at about 3.6GHz could match the i5 at 2.6GHz in all tasks.
-6 cores bring about advantages in multi-threaded applications such as video encoding, editing, ray tracing, running multiple VMs etc.

And here is a benchmark list between the i5 750 vs the 1055t
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/109?vs=147
Not the multi-threaded and single threaded benchmarks near the middle.

Solution

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
The Phenom II is a bit slower per core on average, and both CPUs overclock well. If you need six cores, the Phenom is a clear win. If you're sure you don't, the i5 is a clear win. If you're not sure, while you probably don't need six cores, neither CPU would let you down.

gauravtushir

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
i was looking for core!5 750 intel and amd phenom !!*6 basic version . In Indian currency amd processor is 210$ (9600 rs) for 2.66ghz and for intel its 200$ (9500rs) .

Here comes my problem there is not much difference between price hardly 2$ . amd claims that their !!*6 is faster than any quad . so for gaming and rendering purpose amd 6 core will do just fine or intel would be the best choice . currently intel 6 core processor 980x is costing a bomb . of course currently intel !5 is good. but after a year it should be like hey why i didnt go for amd 6 core when there was not much difference between price of your 4 core processor and 6 core processor.

^I got one of the first quad cores out (Q6600) and it still isn't outdated. Its about 3 years old too.

A 6 core wont see any significant advantage in most normal things beyond a server for a while in the desktop market.

AMD will tout that their 6 cores are faster than Intels 4 and they are right in certain situations. But for normal daily users, it wont beat a Core i5 and I doubt that in 3 years a i5 will feel slow.

G

I was about to buy a i5-750 a few months ago, and then they released the AMD 6 core cpu's. So I chose a 1090T over i5-750. Both are good cpu's, but I chose to have more cores.

I do a lot of video encoding, so this was an easy choice for me.

gauravtushir

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Is it true that amd processors produces more heat compared to intel processors.

One of my friend had given his amd phenom black edition true quadcore processor for repair he says his processor fan was making hell lot of sound . whatever it is hardly, i have heard complains from intel users. actually i have been using intel from the days of pentium 3 . amd seems to be smart choice now because i have notice amd is leading every where their gpus,their mobo , now their cpus but i am bit afraid because after purchasing amd !!*6 i know i have to manage with this for not less than 5 years.

Depends on the models. Heat is related to TDP.
Here's a description of TDP:
http://www.cpu-world.com/Glossary/T/Thermal_Design_Power_(TDP).html

TDP information is easily available. Based on it, the phenom II is cooler than the i7 but the core i5 is cooler than the phenom II, except for the Phenom IIs that are 95W TDP.

Here you can check out info on both brands:
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/CPU.html

popatim

Titan
If the system you are about to build will need to last you 5 years then I would wait a few months for the new processors to be released. Both Intel's and AMD's new chips will not work with current motherboards. Waiting would put you on a motherboard with a few years years worth of upgradablility hopefully instead of the current dead-end boards we have now. For example, should you get a 1090t now, what would you upgrade to? Nothing... unless amd comes out with a few new am3 chips down the road, and there's no reason to really, theres no upgrade for you.

gauravtushir

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Do i have to stick to 64-bit os while using amd !!*6 processor. Will this cpu have problem running 32-bit applications including games.

Best thing about intel processor i found is they dont heat up like amd processor , but when it comes to 6 core cpus both (intel&amd) cpus produces good amount of heat (here intel is loosing its potential) .

Waiting would be a good idea currently , i have made my mind 6 cores or nothing.

gauravtushir

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
How many cooling fan will be needed to keep such cpus cool . i am talking about both (Amd and intel 's 6 core processors. its shouldn't be like one summer afternoon i am browsing all of a sudden !!boom both my psu and cpu are gone lol.

Not exactly. If you do frequent vid edits,encoding,etc the X6 will show a difference vs a Q6600/i3/i5.

Why do you need a 6 core CPU?

As for the programs, yes it will run any 32bit programs. I recommend you grab 64bit Windows 7 Home Premium.

A good cooler like a CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ will work.

For the top CPU cooler ranking see: http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

gauravtushir

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
Temperature here will be 25c in winter and 36 degree Celsius in summer is this temp ok ? When may people suggest quad core that would be just right choice for now but going for 6 core will be a smart move.

Heat is quite a problem here!! if i would be staying in iceland i didnt even had to open this poll.lol.

Going for intel !5 for now is ok but even this thing will be old within 2 years after that everybody will be behind 6 core cpus. i am buying new system for normal use although i find my old core2duo quite satisfactory but Amd 6 core cpu price list has made me go crazy.

kindly suggest cooling solutions as for it should be for home users not workstations.

arkadi

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Really long thread for something that small...
If you not planing to over clock you can stay with the original....it is silent (we are talking about the i5 750-760).
I think it is the right choice...if you cant find good reason for the extra cores.
If you planing to overclock. you can start by reading some user reviews and experiences here: http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=574&name=CPU-Fans-Heatsinks

gauravtushir

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
I would wait for some months before buying a new system As for now i think my core2duo and xp pro is a great combination . Currently i am using my machine for programming and little bit of gaming but i wanna learn animation too, so i was behind 6 core cpu .

I thank everyone who posted their comments here . This poll is closed for now.