Two EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ in CrossFireX

kshawkeye

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Hello, I just ordered a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16813186170 along with two http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16814130339 not really thinking. Is it possible to run the two cards as one with CrossFireX? I know they are GeForce and probably only compatible with SLI but I have gotten mixed answers from many people as if they can CrossFireX? If the cards will not run as one (or in CrossFireX mode) what options do I have for graphics cards? I got an i7 CPU and I really don't want to change mobos if I don't have to. Thanks.

easymoney9

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
According to the manufactures product page that motherboard only supports Crossfire not Sli. If you want to use the combined power of your 9800 gtx's you are going to have to get a new motherboard that Sli compatible.(I was shocked. I thought all X58 motherboards could be used for Crossfire or Sli but apparently not!).

As for options the only thing you could do with 2 9800gtx on that board is to use one for your main display and use the other for Physx.

I think all 1366 support both SLI and Xfire.

And he should return the cards and get two 4850s - $60 cheaper for the same performance. Or get a 5850, also the same performance for ~$290, but runs much cooler, dx11 support, eyefinity, and is a single GPU.

I've got to clear up this bit of mis-information. All LGA 1366 motherboards support Crossfire, but not all of them support SLI. Nvidia charges a licensing fee for SLI certification so the cheap boards don't support SLI. The board has to specify that it supports SLI or else it doesn't.

kshawkeye

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010

Yeah, information that I just come to learn about now... While my brand new system is on the way... I just want it and I'm tired of waiting hahaha.

kshawkeye

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010

Cool, thanks very much for your help!