Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Help choosing Motherboard - LGA1366 and SATA 3

Last response: in Motherboards
April 25, 2011 6:21:39 PM

Hi all. I currently have an EVGA x58 Classified (760). This board does not have Native SATA 3/USB 3 support. I'm looking for a motherboard that I can use my triple channel memmory and CPU in that has native SATA 3 support. I will be using an OCZ Vertex 3 240 GB SSD hard drive, so speed is a concern.

My problem is, I see everyone complaining about the marvell SATA controller and it's issues/slow speed. I would like to use my SSD to the full capacity, or as close to it as possible. I thought about getting a PCI-e addin card (4x) for my current x58, but I don't know how well that will work as they seem to get mediocre reviews at best. I'll be using 2 GTX 580's so I don't want to limit my PCI-e lanes too much.

So can anyone recommend a motherboard that can support SLi, an i7-920 with triple channel memory, good overclocking ability, SATA 3 support, and no marvell controller?

Also you may be thinking, if he's replacing the mobo why not get a new P67 with a 2600K, and i would love to, but i'd have to buy a new chip ($300) and new ram (at least $100), probably a new CPU water-block or at the least a new bracket kit ($20-$100) and i'm not too sold on the P67 motherboards when the Z68 is supposed to be so much better and coming out within 6 months i hear.
April 25, 2011 6:33:32 PM

You'd be better off getting a internal Sata 3 card.
m
l

Best solution

a c 717 V Motherboard
April 25, 2011 6:45:18 PM

Native support spells Intel Sandy Bridge. Marvell 9128 is x1 PCIe so the maximum theoretical is 500 MB/s {ignoring the fact of bandwidth sharing} or in the real world Marvell 912X is 370~410 MB/s. In contrast the Marvell 9182 {no typo} is PCIe x2 lanes.

So the choices are: onboard limitations, native still may not see the Read 550 MB/s and I haven't seen the 500 Write with onboard anywhere - yet, or a SATA3 Card like those from LSI with PCIe x4 or above.

IMO - Get an LSI SATA3 Card and keep what you've got.

See -> http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?...

Maximus IV Extreme http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=AoHE7iDJrYucOm0n
Related resources
April 25, 2011 9:29:29 PM

Yeah as far as i know (which i don't know much) ALL x58 motherboards that have SATA3, regardless of brand or model, use the Marvell controller. Can i expect this to be correct?

I also know that even with GTX 580 SLi, there will be no difference running at 8x/8x compared to 16x/16x.

So by this information, even if I updated my motherboard (200-400 bucks) I still wouldn't get top SATA 3 performance compared to just adding in an LSI card?

Can someone give me confirmation on this?

so the decision is really do I buy an addin card for $250 or do I buy a sandybridge cpu, mobo, and ram for $700. I think that decides it.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
April 25, 2011 10:11:45 PM

I'm careful with ALL or NONE's, the newer X58 MOBO's have the Marvell 88SE9182 which is the 2 lane version of the older Marvell 912X. X58 + Marvell 88SE9182: ASUS Rampage III Black Edition ($590); Gigabyte G1.Guerrilla, G1.Sniper, G1.Assassin, etc.

I've seen at least 5~6 X58 MOBOs with this same problem with your SSD with Marvell 912X.

Here's another official post -> http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?...

As my first suggestion -> So the choices are: onboard limitations; accept it. Otherwise get a cheapo SATA3 Card but you'll never see 550/500 MB/s.

CHEAP FIX $25 HighPoint Rocket 620 Read ~400+ MB/s & Write ~250+ MB/s. Going from X58 -> P67 is a waste, I have an EVGA 4-WAY SLI Classified and there's NO way I would. I'm not upgrading until LGA 2011. :) 

LSI 9260 4i ($330)
m
l
April 25, 2011 10:45:41 PM

Well, There's some information missing here. I run the x58 asus sabertooth mobo. best damn mobo for under $200 in my opinion, also has a 5 year warranty.

Anywho, the missing information that nobody either knows or is failing to mention is that many x58 motherboards with the marvell controller will let it use more than 1 pci-e lane. My bios allows me to run my drives in turbo mode, which routes 8 pci-e lanes to my marvell controller. I run both my 570 SC's in 16x sli and have 8 lanes allocated to my marvell sata 3 controller. Additionally, using the newest bios update (which updates the marvell firmware also) and using the latest marvell drivers, really brings out the speed with my motherboard.

There are many motherboards that allow the marvell to use more than 1x (on the x58 chipset)

Additionally, another way around your space and speed requirements are to buy x2 120GB vertex 2's which is the same space and speed in raid 0 as 1 240GB V3. You can use any sata 2 controller for this as each has a 300MB/s max speed and the V2 120GB drive is 285/275 read/write.

If speed is your goal, then buy x4 60GB V2 drives in raid 0. You will still get 240GB and 285/275 R/W x4, which is 1.12GB and 1.1GB respectively. Additionally both 4x60Gb and 2x120GB are $400 before tax, I think 1 240GB V3 costs more....
m
l
April 26, 2011 12:15:33 PM

wickedsnow said:

Anywho, the missing information that nobody either knows or is failing to mention is that many x58 motherboards with the marvell controller will let it use more than 1 pci-e lane. My bios allows me to run my drives in turbo mode, which routes 8 pci-e lanes to my marvell controller. I run both my 570 SC's in 16x sli and have 8 lanes allocated to my marvell sata 3 controller. Additionally, using the newest bios update (which updates the marvell firmware also) and using the latest marvell drivers, really brings out the speed with my motherboard.

I have the Sabertooth x58 board and didn't see any of this mention why my SATA 3 drives were so slow.What bios update are you talking about?
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
April 26, 2011 3:07:10 PM

wickedsnow said:
nobody either knows or is failing to mention is that many x58 motherboards with the marvell controller will let it use more than 1 pci-e lane. My bios allows me to run my drives in turbo mode, which routes 8 pci-e lanes to my marvell controller.

Doesn't exist.

Any onboard Marvell 912X is stuck to the x1 PCIe lane; RAID does zip for a single SSD. To improve performance use AHCI in BIOS, verify in OS registry, and use the latest released Marvell driver or Beta Driver V1.2.0.1002. The only BIOS update addressing SATA is Update Intel Raid Option ROM, but not the Marvell.
m
l
April 26, 2011 4:48:32 PM

jaquith said:
Doesn't exist.

Any onboard Marvell 912X is stuck to the x1 PCIe lane; RAID does zip for a single SSD. To improve performance use AHCI in BIOS, verify in OS registry, and use the latest released Marvell driver or Beta Driver V1.2.0.1002. The only BIOS update addressing SATA is Update Intel Raid Option ROM, but not the Marvell.

That's what I understood.
m
l
May 3, 2011 6:37:22 PM

Best answer selected by icewolf69.
m
l
May 3, 2011 6:42:02 PM

I decided to get an LSI 8x PCI card. Don't know if the extra 4x lanes will help with bandwidth but we'll see. Thank you for everyones time an opinions, i appreciate it.
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
May 3, 2011 8:32:37 PM

Let me know how your speeds work out. Remember, OCZ's publishes & tests their SSD's using ATTO and not anything else like Crystal Disk, AS SSD.
m
l
May 3, 2011 8:58:21 PM

Will do in about a week. Redoing the water loop while I'm
At it so it's a bit longer process
m
l
October 22, 2011 4:24:48 AM

Sorry to jump on to this thread... but I'm having the same questions.

@ the OP icewolf69 how is the PCI card working out?

@ everyone are there any 1155 mobos with the newer Marvell 88SE9182?
m
l
October 22, 2011 5:30:44 AM

Shlayer said:
Sorry to jump on to this thread... but I'm having the same questions.

@ the OP icewolf69 how is the PCI card working out?

@ everyone are there any 1155 mobos with the newer Marvell 88SE9182?

Well I got the LSI card, and It worked for like 2 or 3 boots ( just the card BIOS, never got windows setup to recognize my SSD on the RAID card). Then for some reason it stopped working. I called LSI and they said that my motherboard isn't really supported, and that if i wanted to RMA it i would have to try it in a completely different brand and processor type motherboard. I never got a chance to do it because I took a private military job and i'm now in Iraq.

I did throw in a really cheap... Rockpoint or highpoint i think, brand SATA3 raid card. It was a really stripped down version and i believe was based on the marvell chip. Even with the crappy raid card i got better transfer speeds than my intel sata 2 ports. I believe (and i'm going completely off memory here) that my read times increased 150 mbps to about 450 or 500. and my write times stay about the same (300 or 350 i think)

Overall I was a bit disappointed in the LSI card. When it worked, it was hard to configure, instructions weren't that great, and even with the drivers that were supposed to work with Win7 setup for it to recognize my SSD, windows still didn't find it. And I paid quite a bit for it too.

I would get a cheap add on card for faster read times, and save your money for a new mobo.

m
l
October 23, 2011 11:47:58 PM

Thanks! that is really helpful!

Hope everything's going well for you in Iraq!
m
l
October 24, 2011 12:38:51 AM

So I will have three sets of RAID zero going on in my next build...

1. 2 Mushkin 60GB SATA II as boot
2. 2 Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III
3. 2 Raptors 300g SATA II

(I recently learned about RAID so I'm doubling up on my drives-hence the weird mix... I have oneof each at the moment)

I'd like the performance to be most prevalent in gaming specifically BF3.

What Stripe size is best...?
m
l
!