SSD or HDD

I am trying to compare two hard drives and do not know which is the better option. The 500GB 7200 rpm or the 1TB 5400RPM+32GB SSD for $100 more. The actual hard drives are not really a concern because I don't go over 300GB. I just play a few video games and schoolwork. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
5 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Why not the faster 7200 rpm 500GB drive and for 100 dollars get a 120 GB SSD to boot from.
  2. tomkatt1211 said:
    I am trying to compare two hard drives and do not know which is the better option. The 500GB 7200 rpm or the 1TB 5400RPM+32GB SSD for $100 more. The actual hard drives are not really a concern because I don't go over 300GB. I just play a few video games and schoolwork. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It looks to me that the HDD's are of a concern to you as you are looking at adding the SSD as well to offset the speed limitation of the 1TB HDD.

I would opt for the 1TB without SSD only from a pricing standpoint. If you are looking at performance I would opt for the 500GB 7200HDD and the 32GB SSD.
  3. I'm really new when it comes to these kinds of things so hopefully you'll bear with me. It's actually for a laptop. the Y580. It came with those two options, don't know how to do both at the same time.
  4. Well if one of the drives is replacing the internal unit in said laptop, then make it an 128GB+ SSD as mentioned above and then use either HDD as an external unit preferably the 1TB HDD.

hope this helps.
  5. Are you looking at buying this laptop or are you upgrading one you already have?
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Video Games Hard Drives Storage