New system vs Upgrade (i5 750 vs lga 775 upgrade)

HedonisticAltruism

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Hi there,
Looking an opinion on the performance difference between these two options:

1) New computer:

Intel i5 750
Radeon HD5870 Sapphire Vapour X
Asus P7P55D-E PRO (actually will probably change to Gigabyte)
WD Caviar Black 1TB
Crucial 4GB DDR3-1333 CL9
Silverstone Fortress 2
Antec Truepower 750W
LG 24x DVD
Thermalright Vapour X (if I can confirm it will fit...)
Thermaltake Thunderblade 120mm LED (anyone know if the CFM actually matches the dBA claim? Seems high for the lack of noise... ~80cfm at 21dBA. Maybe they're dishonestly claiming the cfm at a high rpm and noise at a low rpm?)

2) Upgrade my LGA 775 platform: Intel® Desktop Board D975XBX
-Which CPU? Seems Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 has similar performance benchmarks to the i5 750, albeit ~$100 more.
-Which GPU would not be bottlenecked by either MoBo or CPU?
-Any RAM upgrades? (DDR2)

I've never done much OC'ing but as you can see, I've chosen a handful of components that are amenable to that for the new PC. I'm budgeting around $2k after OS and a new mouse after taxes so more like $1600 (CAD) for the new but it's more a result of finding 'sweet spots' price vs. performance... maybe 5850's in Xfire are better value? Also, there's stylistic considerations... (expensive case)

I've also considered future upgrades which is why I've gone with the 1 GPU solution so that when there might be a new game that I actually want to play with higher requirements, I can drop some more $ on a second GPU - which asks the question should I upgrade to a LGA1388 solution. Harsh reality is that I rarely actually upgrade but that might more be a result of being a student from the last time I bought a new comp. The lack of really upgrading has led me to this question of upgrading my current rig else the new one I buy, which would be ~$1k more money would actually have similar performance and still be a dead-end upgrading path.

Sorry for rambling - thoughts?

A few things u should know about SATA/USB 3.0 tech and 1156 mobos as shown by our very own forums here
USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s, Motherboards, And Overcoming Bottlenecks
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/usb-3.0-sata-6gb,2583.html
Also note that LGA 1156 shall be usurped by LGA 1155 as soon as end of this year/possible Q1 next year if u intending to sink a wee bit on chip + board FYI...
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2010/04/21/intel-sandy-bridge-details-of-the-next-gen/

HedonisticAltruism

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Thanks batuchka - good link regarding the USB 3.0/SATA 6Gb/s. Could just drop those features.

Thanks also for the tip about LGA! I would probably never have caught that even if there were offering those models now - barely read past 11xx.

Speaking of which, LGA1388 should be corrected to LGA1366 in my original post :p

dualblade

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
i think lga 775 will be much cheaper for the same performance now (compaierd to core i5), and the socket lga 1xxx will be changed in a year or 2 maximum, so by the time you will need to upgrade again you will find a new socket not lga 775 or lga 1xxx.