Sign in with
Your question

WD Blue vs. Black

Last response: in Storage
September 20, 2012 5:36:58 PM

Hello everyone, for the past month or so I have been researching and buying parts for my new computer. This is the first time I have ever done this so I had a few questions about the remaining parts I need, which would be the hard drive and graphics card. Since this thread is about storage, I will keep it to hdd’s. The computer will be primarily used for gaming and the other common PC activities. I will be buying a 1TB Western Digital Hard drive, and I was wandering which would be better to get, blue or black. I realize black is better in every way, but it is also 50% more than blue. I do plan on getting a SSD later to store the OS, game .exe’s, and a few other miscellaneous I may need to pop in and out of. Is it worth getting black? Or should I get blue now, and upgrade to black when I get the solid state? If you could tell me why or why not that would be great, thank you all for you time.

More about : blue black

September 20, 2012 6:34:21 PM

If you plan to use it mainly for storage, go for the Blue; especially if you plan to get an SSD as your OS drive later on. If you plan to use it as your main OS drive for a good amount of time and are willing to put down the extra cash, I'd say get the Black. I'm not sure the exact spec differences, but you'd definitely notice the difference when using it as an OS drive.
m
l
September 20, 2012 6:44:49 PM

AFAIK The only difference between blue and black is warranty perirod.
3 in blue vs 5 in black.
But I'm not sure.
Anyway , get whichever is cheaper since you are going to get an ssd
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 20, 2012 6:55:19 PM

theres more of a difference than warranty, the black drives are built better as well, and will most likely outlast the blue's in lifespan.
m
l
September 20, 2012 6:57:08 PM

daswilhelm said:
theres more of a difference than warranty, the black drives are built better as well, and will most likely outlast the blue's in lifespan.

And hence the reason for extended warranty
m
l
September 20, 2012 7:09:28 PM

Black are faster (7200 RPM), not sure they worth 50% more money though.
Anyway I suggest you go black, hard disks is something that lasts for a good time so it's good to have the best.
m
l
September 20, 2012 7:12:43 PM

Thanks everyone, I also had a question about cache. I believe another difference between blue and black is there cache size, blue 32 black has 64. Will I really see that big a difference?
m
l
September 20, 2012 7:19:59 PM

htellef said:
Thanks everyone, I also had a question about cache. I believe another difference between blue and black is there cache size, blue 32 black has 64. Will I really see that big a difference?

When I moved from a 2mb cache drive to 64 mb I saw a huge performance increase.
(USB 3 speeds increased from 30mbps to 80mbps :sol:  )
But from 32 to 64 , not much of a difference.
m
l
!