Does this sound ok or is it overkill?

Nabs

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Basically my current pc died. I originally was going to build a media server/ transcoder but now need an all in one.

The aim is to build a pc which will sit upstairs in the house and be for mainly low duty admin stuff, but some video editing and to communicate with a ps3 in another section of the house via a wired cat6lan for media serving/ transcoding duties using ps3media server (I would like it to be able to transcode 1080p on the fly). Next year I will build a second an move this pc into purely mediaseving/ transcoding duties.

The components I thought would be:
1. CPU i5 750
2. Mobo Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 Intel P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 Motherboard
3. Possible SSD for operating system
4. For media storage - WD Black 2TB
5. Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5570 1024MB GDDR3 PCI-Express Graphics Card
6. Samsung SH-B083L/BSBP 8x BluRay ROM / 16x DVD±RW Drive - Black
7. Fractal Design Define R2 Midi Tower Case - Black Pearl
8. Cooling Corsair H50-1 High-Performance CPU Watercooler (Socket
9. Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit - OEM (GFC-00599)

Any advice and comments would be appreciated thanks.

I don't think you'd need a P55A-UD4 if you're just going to do video editing/use it as a server or something similar. I recommend the ASUS P7P55D-E LX or GIGABYTE GA-P55A-UD3 instead, but if you really do not even need dedicated graphics then an Athlon/Phenom II X4 & 785G motherboard would be good enough, saves you from needing to buy a graphics card. I don't think you'll be overclocking, so, no need for the H50.

ginjaninja

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
ud4 motherboard only if you plan to xfire/sli a ud3 or maybe even ud2 should be fine. as far as I'm aware they're not much difference, the ud4 has two 16x pcie slots for xfire/sli, someone correct me? and watercooling only if you plan to overclock massively.

Nabs

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
No plans to sli, I'll look at the other options ud2/3 thanks. I was thinking of the watercooling more from a sound point of view and also as the case is not supposed to be that cooling without numerous fans. But if it is not necessary then I am all for saving cash. I am unlikely to massively overclock, maybe only a touch say to the speeds of the soon to come i5 760