Upgrading 9500GT

widowson

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Hello, I have a 12-14 month old system built on a Gigabyte EP31-DS3L Mobo, Core 2 Quad 2.33 Ghz, & 550W Power Supply. I'm running the 9500Gt which has been fine til now. But I've just bought a Haugpauge HD PVR, and have found that displaying / transcoding the captured HD is becoming a problem.

I've been trawling the net trying to avoid confusion (with greater or lesser success), and have been comparing the the HD5750/5770 with the GTS250/GTX260.

Am I looking in the right area? Is it likely that i'll be able to extract near best performance out of these cards with the spec.s I've got or will my setup just cause a bottleneck?

I really want something to speed up HD transcoding (as Nero 10 is taking 4 hrs to trans 2 hrs of(barely)HD video. I'm a casual Gamer (but spend more time on PS3 for that).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Mark (from Oz)

widowson

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010

Nero allows you to minimise to tray, which I do, as well as then turn off the display. Makes no difference. It's weird because Arc Soft Studio will create AVCHDs much, much faster regardless of what i do with the screen. Made me wonder whether Nero 10 can't utilise whatever CUDA functionality the 9500 has whereas maybe ArcSoft can (just a guess). Problem is that ArcSoft editing tools are rubbish. Besides, regardless of how I compile / transcode, the system is not displaying HD without what looks like horizontal de-interlacing (very annoying).

widowson

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Let you know? Do you mean about "Super"? I'll download it & give it a try. But I can't see it making a big difference as the fact is no matter what I display the HD with on the computer I stil get de-interlacing / jumping.

ta.
Mark

widowson

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Capturing 1080i from Haupauge to computer. Transcoding from M2TS or AVCHD to DivX or DVD or AVCHD DVD or whatever. Then being able to watch the same on the PC without hiccups.

I know there are work-arounds involving transcoding to less processer intensive formats, but the Haupauge is inflexible in the format it captures. Basically AVCHD, M2TS or MP4, & as the transcoding is taking forever, I'm pretty keen to just keep everything in AVCHD when possible. I use a networked PS3 for living room playback and it is fine with either M2TS or AVCHD (TS). I'd like to be able to watch in reasonable quality on the PC as well though.

My transcoding issues basically come when i need to burn off DVDs, DVD9s, AVCHD DVD for friends family etc to watch. It takes forever, particularly when using the superior editing suite contained in Nero10. Love the tools but it is soooo slow. Was hoping an updated GPU might speed matters along and also help with playback.

Cheers