Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New system won't post

Last response: in Systems
July 17, 2010 12:57:13 PM

I'm stumped. I've been struggling with this for about a week now. My computer won't post. It powers on for about a second with all the LEDs turning on and fans spinning and shuts off.

This is a system where all of the parts are new(Aside from the motherboard, had to RMA the first one due to a hissing noise that turned to a screeching noise which worsened with more load put on the CPU. ASUS determined was the fault of the motherboard and RMAd)

There are 2 things that I have tried in which I can get the system to stay powered on but won't allow for the system to post. These are:

Un-plugging the 8 pin ATX12v- This is where I think the problem is.
Hold in the MEMOK! button- I tried this to see if it was the memory but I don't get any response from the MEMOK LED when doing this and as soon as I let go of the button, the system shuts off.

My system specs are the following:

Mobo- ASUS P6X58D Premium

Proc- i7 930 (2.8GHz)

Ram- Mushkin 998805 6GB (3x2GB) 1600MHz (Memory is good, worked with previous board)

CPU Cooler- I've tried both the stock cooler and also the Coolermaster V8 with this build

Video Card- nVidia Galaxy 465 GTX

PSU- Corsair HX850 (850w Semi-modular, the 8pin mentioned above is not modular)

HDDs- 750GB WD Caviar black

These are the things I've done already:

Breadboarded- I breadboarded the motherboard on my kitchen table with cardboard on it with only the CPU and power supply attached to it. I also tried this with every combination of RAM from one stick at a time to all 3 sticks.

Tried another board- Since I haven't sent the old MOBO back to ASUS yet(the one that hisses and crashes), I decided to try that board again. Yes there was hissing but it posted WITH the 8 pin plugged in, so that tells me that the PSU and CPU are good.

Is it the motherboard? Do I have to do another RMA? I haven't even sent out the first bad one. I want to just send them both back and get my money back!

To top it off, the RMA they sent me back had smudges and half the pins for the fans and front I/O ports were bent and the little blue onboard heatsink attached to the heat pipe was coming off of the board.

Help me get this turd running!

Thank you :) 

More about : system post

a c 122 B Homebuilt system
a c 156 V Motherboard
July 17, 2010 6:09:53 PM

Shinahami091 said:

Un-plugging the 8 pin ATX12v- This is where I think the problem is.

What do you mean by "problem"? This PSU plug provides operating power to the CPU. No plug, no CPU power, no boot.

Does the motherboard have a system speaker installed or do you have one?

When you breadboarded just the PSU, CPU & HSF, motherboard, and a system speaker; what kind of beep pattern did you get?
m
l
July 17, 2010 11:25:53 PM

Hi! Thanks for your reply.

What I meant by the 8pin being the problem is when it's plugged in, my computer won't power on. But when it's not plugged in the computer will stay powered on but won't post (for obvious reasons)

Also, as I mentioned in my first post, I tried both my new board and the one it replaced and the older one stays powered on with the 8pin plugged in so I know it's not the PSU or the processor.
m
l
Related resources
July 18, 2010 2:29:46 PM

Bumped because I'm stumped.
m
l
July 18, 2010 3:08:15 PM

Have you tried a different 8pins for the motherboard? I have the same mobo and cpu just different psu HX-1000. Maybe the 8pins attached to the psu is not working correctly. So give that a try.
m
l
July 18, 2010 9:21:28 PM

Kraze7 said:
Have you tried a different 8pins for the motherboard? I have the same mobo and cpu just different psu HX-1000. Maybe the 8pins attached to the psu is not working correctly. So give that a try.

There is only one 8pin ATX12v cord for my PSU. The only other option is to use a PCIE 8 pin cable but I don't think it will fit. I also recall reading that that isn't a good idea to do.
m
l
July 19, 2010 3:49:07 AM

I've just tried something. I decided to turn the system on without the processor. It stayed powered on. Do you guys think that the bios isn't updated to support the 930?
m
l
July 19, 2010 8:10:40 AM

Shinahami091 said:
There is only one 8pin ATX12v cord for my PSU. The only other option is to use a PCIE 8 pin cable but I don't think it will fit. I also recall reading that that isn't a good idea to do.

Yea that's not a good idea and usually those for GPU are marked as "GPU ONLY".

I'm not sure about the BIOS because for me it works right out of the box. I did update it after a while, so maybe you should try that.
m
l
July 19, 2010 3:05:13 PM

Kraze7 said:
Yea that's not a good idea and usually those for GPU are marked as "GPU ONLY".

I'm not sure about the BIOS because for me it works right out of the box. I did update it after a while, so maybe you should try that.

Well, my firs board worked right out of the box as well. But this other board is and RMA. So it's possible it's and older one that they had laying around somewhere.

If it isn't the BIOS then it has to be something with the CPU socket. The pins aren't bent or anything, but maybe there's something wrong with it that I can't see...
m
l

Best solution

July 19, 2010 3:20:33 PM

Well the first thing a POST checks for is power; seems like that goes fine. Next comes the BIOS, CPU and RAM. I doubt the BIOS would be screwed up out of the box so maybe there is a problem with your socket or CPU?
July 19, 2010 7:29:12 PM

specter800 said:
Well the first thing a POST checks for is power; seems like that goes fine. Next comes the BIOS, CPU and RAM. I doubt the BIOS would be screwed up out of the box so maybe there is a problem with your socket or CPU?

Im thinking it's the socket. The CPU was working fine in my other motherboard. The system does the same thing with or without the ram so that only leaves either the BIOS or the socket.

I've already contacted ASUS to get ANOTHER RMA done. I hope this one comes out better than the last :/ 
m
l
July 29, 2010 1:46:08 AM

Best answer selected by Shinahami091.
m
l
!