Goomis

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Hi,

first some technicals about my config:

1. MoBo: Asus P8Z68-V PRO
2. SSD OCZ Vertex 4 with 1.5 firmware
3. 2x Seagate 2TB in RAID 1

So my problem is with write speeds of the Vertex 4.
ATTO and AS SSD benchmarks show that the write spped is about 200MB/s
Read speed is good it is about 550MB/s in ATTO and 470MB/s in AS SSD.
write speeds don't depend on "write cashing" option enabled or disabled.
With 1.5 frimware write speeds should be in about 400MB/s range but they don't...

I found opinion that updating the Intel RST driver might be helpful but i can't/don't know how to do it.
In device manager when i try to update driver for Intel SATA controler Windows said that installed 8.9 is the latest one :(
Mybe it's true when i'm in RAID mode? Newer versions are avaible only for AHCI? When i try to update form Intel page, when i download the Intel RST 11.6 there is no .exe file in the zip package so i don;t know hot to use/install it...

I know SSD should be in AHCI mode, but i want to pair my 2TB Seagates in RAID 1.
My MoBo got Intel SATA controler with 2x SATAIII ports and 4x SATAII ports and Marvell controler with 2x SATAII ports.
The thing is that Marvell don't support RAID, and the OS is not booting from them eaither.
So i have to configure all on Intel controler.
Is it only RAID or AHCI option? Poor write speeds in RAID but i can setup RAID1, or fast write speed in AHCI but without RAID possible?
I read some articel where is said that RAID mode supports same technlogies/protocols as AHCI.
It's true or not?

Please give me some advice.

Goomis

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

It is on Intel SATAIII controller, Disk itself appear as "Non-Raid" in Intel Matrix before system boot.
cmd shows that TRIM is working ("DisableDeleteNotify = 0").
Still poor write speeds.

Goomis

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Ok i have finally solved it.
I have manualy updated (from the cmd) the RAID controller driver to v10.8.0.1003 (this version shows after driver autodetect on Intel web site). There is 11.6 or 11.8 but i don't wanted to risk failure.
System Rebooted correctly. But there was no improvement in disk performance.
Then i've installed Intel RST Center, rebooted and bang, that was it!
Write speeds are now about 400MB/s Read 500MB/s :) AS SSD overall score rised from ~850 to the ~1050 (almost 25%!)

Note: test with write-cashe enabled was slightly worse (W:360MB/s R:470MB/s)