Hd5850 CROSSFIRED 70 DEGREES CELSIUS!

jijoslin

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I'm getting temperatures of 70 degrees celsius from my crossfired 5850's in crysis warhead, playing in gamer mode, 2 times aa, fullscreen 1920by1080, is this too hot will it damage them?

AMW1011

Distinguished
JofaMang is right, 70c on crossfired 5850s in Crysis is very good, but when you start climbing over 90c you need to increase the fan speed. You look to be just fine though. For a referense, my 8800 GTS 512mbs in SLI hit 82c in Crysis.

jijoslin

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

Okay thats a relief, I'm using a nzxt panzer box gaming case with dual 190mm fans an additional 120mm fan, and a coolermaster hyper 212+cpu cooler with a dual fan solution for the cpu, ,plus my seasonic 750 watt power supply has a massive fan that oddly enough where it positioned pumps down onto the gpu's so I was hoping that is adequate enough cooling, also is there a program, where I can monitor temps, during gameplay? thanks John

Falsepuppet

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
In my experience, my 2 old (crossfired) 4850s would drastically start losing performance around the 72C mark, and would have these green squares in the sky around 76C. Around 80C, it was max speed just to look like I was jogging.
My Newer 5770 (xfx) idles at 38C which is as low as I can get it. And ive seen it hit 76C in Crysis wars. So far I have no issues upwards towards 80C, but keep in mind that as your cards heat up, everything in your case does too. Maybe its time to overdrive those fans in CCC?

Your PSU is not dumping anything inside your case, on the contrary it is sucking air from the insides and pushing it out the rear.

Your temps are more than fine ;)

Use Afterburner to monitor your GPU temps and create a fan profile to keep your cards nice n cool.

fan_curve.png

You have a dust issue. Open it up and clean the heat sink or risk burning the card out.

OT: I have crossfired 5850s, running Warhead on Enthusiast (max) 1920x1080 4xAA it's buttery smooth. They're overclocked so that helps (currently at 960/1210) but still the temps are around 65C. I set custom fan profiles with MSI Afterburner, as their default fan settings suck.

Well my fans idle at 15%, then at 50C they go up to 25% and make a slow climb to about 40% at 60C then they ramp up to 70% at 70C so they only get noticeably loud during intense gaming, at which point my audio drowns it out anyway... but yea, we all have our preferences...

I perfer to have the fan settings less aggressive, than overly aggressive. When you turn the fans up high to keep the temps lower than their recommended operating temps, you end up with unwanted noise, but we all have our own preferences.

Kewlx25

Distinguished

Nah, just my cheap Dell. The case has two fans. Exhaust next to the CPU and the CPU fan. The 16x slot for the video card is actually at the BOTTOM of the mobo with about 1" of clearance from the bottom of the case. Since the 4850 I have doesn't exhaust heat out the back, it just circulates hot air at the bottom.

I'm looking at getting a new case, but I wanna get a bike so I can go riding with my wife and I tend to buy quality for stuff. Bike ~$350 and case ~$150. I don't have enough for both.. :*(

Another problem I have with the ATI card is the fan is only running at 80% at 105c. It doesn't go to 100% until ~108c.... WTF?!