Sign in with
Your question
Solved

A question about biostar MB

Last response: in Motherboards
April 26, 2011 1:24:30 AM

i just have one question...
Is biostar a good brand to buy motherboards from?
im looking at a MB right now thats $100 and has CFX capabilities and is a really good price for what you get out of it.
it just seems like its too good and that if i bought it, it would most likely have issues and they would give me terrible support and basically screw me over.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

so what'd'ya think?

More about : question biostar

a c 435 V Motherboard
April 26, 2011 10:36:59 AM

I've used a couple of biostar boards, with no problems. Download the board manual and check for voltage settings if you want to overclock. I also recommend gigabyte boards with a dual bios chip; they come in handy especially after a bad flash. Mine kicks in automatically anytime there's a problem with the main bios program.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 26, 2011 4:30:43 PM

Just so you know crossfire wouldn't really be worth it on that board. The two pci-e slots run at 16x and 4x instead of dual 8x or the better dual 16x. It is also a little cheaper on newegg. There are articles detailing the performance drop when comparing 16x:16x, 8x:8x, and 16x:4x on this site you might consider looking at. I don't have any biostar boards so I cannot comment on quality.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

April 26, 2011 4:33:49 PM

That one from the link has a nice layout, and yep it's cheap and works well, I had one low end motherboard and could even do a cheap overclock in a P4. LOL! and it still working yet. so from what I know yep is a good cheap brand.
April 26, 2011 7:29:01 PM

mlcaouette said:
Just so you know crossfire wouldn't really be worth it on that board. The two pci-e slots run at 16x and 4x instead of dual 8x or the better dual 16x. It is also a little cheaper on newegg. There are articles detailing the performance drop when comparing 16x:16x, 8x:8x, and 16x:4x on this site you might consider looking at. I don't have any biostar boards so I cannot comment on quality.

well the performance loss is very minor... for $100 x16/x4 is actually really good and not alot of boards actually have cfx/sli capabilities at $100

heres an actual performance comparison for pci-e scaling on ati cards for the 5870

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_5870_PCI-Expr...

as you can see the actual performance hit is only about 4fps at the most at 1920x1200

tbh, im not really all that worried if instead of getting 60 fps, i end up getting 58fps, honestly the whole x8/x8 thing is more of a money grab for companies than anything else as they make a big deal when it really isnt
m
l
April 26, 2011 7:29:48 PM

thanks everyone, you've helped me out a lot. Im going to go pick it up as soon as i can
m
l
April 26, 2011 7:30:06 PM

Best answer selected by vibrantxxninjas.
m
l
!