Solved

A question about biostar MB

i just have one question...
Is biostar a good brand to buy motherboards from?
im looking at a MB right now thats $100 and has CFX capabilities and is a really good price for what you get out of it.
it just seems like its too good and that if i bought it, it would most likely have issues and they would give me terrible support and basically screw me over.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7258579&CatId=5195

so what'd'ya think?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about question biostar
  1. I've used a couple of biostar boards, with no problems. Download the board manual and check for voltage settings if you want to overclock. I also recommend gigabyte boards with a dual bios chip; they come in handy especially after a bad flash. Mine kicks in automatically anytime there's a problem with the main bios program.
  2. Just so you know crossfire wouldn't really be worth it on that board. The two pci-e slots run at 16x and 4x instead of dual 8x or the better dual 16x. It is also a little cheaper on newegg. There are articles detailing the performance drop when comparing 16x:16x, 8x:8x, and 16x:4x on this site you might consider looking at. I don't have any biostar boards so I cannot comment on quality.
  3. Best answer
    That one from the link has a nice layout, and yep it's cheap and works well, I had one low end motherboard and could even do a cheap overclock in a P4. LOL! and it still working yet. so from what I know yep is a good cheap brand.
  4. mlcaouette said:
    Just so you know crossfire wouldn't really be worth it on that board. The two pci-e slots run at 16x and 4x instead of dual 8x or the better dual 16x. It is also a little cheaper on newegg. There are articles detailing the performance drop when comparing 16x:16x, 8x:8x, and 16x:4x on this site you might consider looking at. I don't have any biostar boards so I cannot comment on quality.

well the performance loss is very minor... for $100 x16/x4 is actually really good and not alot of boards actually have cfx/sli capabilities at $100

heres an actual performance comparison for pci-e scaling on ati cards for the 5870

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/HD_5870_PCI-Express_Scaling/1.html

as you can see the actual performance hit is only about 4fps at the most at 1920x1200

tbh, im not really all that worried if instead of getting 60 fps, i end up getting 58fps, honestly the whole x8/x8 thing is more of a money grab for companies than anything else as they make a big deal when it really isnt
  5. thanks everyone, you've helped me out a lot. Im going to go pick it up as soon as i can
  6. Best answer selected by vibrantxxninjas.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Biostar