New Cases soon to be released?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitesoulja

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
soo, other than the corsair 600T, are there any new cool cases ( not the rv03) being released anytime soon? (few months), preferably full tower?

AMW1011

Distinguished
Fractal Design is a new company from Switzerland. They make some great cases. The only complaints I've seen are of thin metal, which is BS because the panels are covered in thick sound absorbing material, so I'm not sure why people care. They are great for silent computing and cooling depending on the configuration. Sadly in the US, they are only available from NCIXUS, and the shipping can be a bit much coming from Canada.

A great review of their R2 (their first case):
[flash=640,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/yw6U0w2eWos?fs=1&hl=en_US[/flash]

maflynn

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
FT03, yikes, I was worried I pulled the trigger on my FT02 too soon, but after viewing the youtube video, that case is not for me.

The FT02, provides ample room, great air-flow and nice lines. I'm not liking the looks of the FT03 and it looks way too cramped for my liking.

AMW1011

Distinguished

I love the FT03 for HTPC use, that's about it. I'm about to pull the trigger on an FT02 myself, what version did you get?

nitesoulja

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
im leaning towards the ft02 also, its a bit over 200 but i really like that the windows on the right (would fit better in my current setup), and i hear its good cooling, im guessing blower style gpus would work better in a setup like this? where its pushing the air out the top...

AMW1011

Distinguished
Yeah, cards the exhaust hot air out their rear work the best. These cases, with AP181 fans, can keep stock GTX 480s under 80c without custom fan profiles. With AP181 (all RV02/FT02 cases are shipping with them now, but your still likely to get old stock) the FT02 beats the HAF-X:
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2010/08/12/silverstone-ft02r-w-review/1

I just ordered an open box FT02S-W off of Amazon for $200 shipped, though I was willing to pay for a new one I couldn't pass that deal up. I'm actually REALLY excited for this and I've ordered a stealth bay to mod into it:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=24633

I've also ordered white cold cathodes since they seem to be getting popular and I wanted them to try out.

nitesoulja

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
hey congrats on your purchase AMW1011, im just waiting for stock on ncix, i haven't ordered from amazon but they say shipping takes 2-4 weeks O_O

question, anyone know if a cm gx series 750w psu will fit in the ft02? i mean, its not modular, i dont recall seing any pics of anyone using a non modular psu with the ft02, id hate to have a bulge of wires hanging right above the last fan :/, wonder if there is room in the back to stuff the excess wires into

AMW1011

Distinguished

Hah, it will fit. I have a PC P&C Silencer 750w, which is a notorious cable management nightmare of a PSU. There is a decent bit of space behind the motherboard tray, so with some patience, it should work out fine.

Your located in Canada I assume?

nitesoulja

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010

yup, and there are two local hardware stores here in SK, 1 of them overpriced and fairly good selection, the other is good if not better prices than newegg but very bad selections

maflynn

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010

The latest and greatest - black flavor. I assume you mean with the fan upgrades

maflynn

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010

I'm partial to black, it really makes the look. Even though coming from the mac world (with silver cases). I like the looks of black

The newer cases have a better fan

I just signed up to over-clockers and joined the club ;)

nitesoulja

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
you know what, ive decided for the 800D, yea a case out of nowhere. the price is 10$ more than the ft02 and its actually in stock <_<, i figure id be fine since my cpu will be using the h70 and my video card uses external exhaust with blower fan, ill use some 120mm fans currently on my antec and buy some 140mm ones, i think id be fine till i sli with this case. the ft02 while it looks nice it just seems too small, ive looked at tons of pics, and all of them have cables running along the bottom touching the fans, just doesn't look nice, this and the fact that the top cover when attached has a small gap with the side panel, its small but its enough that you can see right through the gap, picky, but at this price range u get to be picky. 800d will encourage me to watercool more also.

AMW1011

Distinguished

Saw you on OCN. I don't necessarily understand your points, but congratulations on the case. I already have the best watercooling case on the market, my TJ07, but I can no longer afford water cooling so I'm going for the best air cooling case on the market, the FT02. Just so you know, the FT02 is a massive case, but the Corsair is just plain ridiculous in size. :D

Hope you enjoy it.

maflynn

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010

I struggled for a while on this decision and came to the conclusion that while the 800D is a great case with a lot of benefits. I opted for the FT02 for a couple of reasons.

First I was having issues with a H50 cooler which I returned because it was defective. My concern was that even if I got it replaced what is the risk of leaks or a pump failure. More then what I was willing to accept. The cooling of the H50 was not as great as I had hoped (perhaps related to being defective.

Second reason why I chose the FT02 over the 800D was I was going to stick with air cooling. From my research, the 800D is really designed for liquid cooling or working with Corsair's H50/H70 cpu coolers. Nearly all of the youtube reviews used the H50.

The FT02 is smaller then 800D which is ok, if you're going to stick with air cooling, but its not small. I have a Noctua DH-14 cpu cooler and nvidia GTX-260 GPU. Both of those are large and the FT02 easily handles both.

My CPU runs in the mid 30s no-load and the mid 40s with a load (Celsius) with ambient temps around 20c.

Good luck with the 800D case, it is a nice case.

nitesoulja

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
here are some issues i have with the ft02, they arent MAJOR issues, but i gotta factor them in. i wished the ft02 was a little bigger that it didn't require cutting the fan grills to fit a 5970, one of the best builds by westcoastmods:

cutb.jpg

its all business outside, and a major party inside. considering the best silverstone had was this:
open2wb.jpg

-just look at all those cables running along the fan, if it was a bit bigger they could be hidden above the fan through some holes
-also note the top gap i was talking about, it should be closer to the side panel to look more seamless.

here is another picture showing the gap, from a youtube video that, imo, was also very nicely built.
opent.jpg

anyways, ft02 though big is still classified as mid tower, some sites say full, but it is quite cramped. 800d will give me more options, when i sli ill buy a psu and some water cooling if temps are really bad. winter is near and ambient temp usually doesn't exceed 24C so ill prolly be fine ;)

ps i doubt silverstone will be making more big cases considering ft02's successor, the trash can ft03:
SST_FT03.jpg

also don't get me wrong i'm not hating on the ft02, still think its a great case

Status
Not open for further replies.