Are these Core i7 920 temps ok?

bcrady

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Sorry for posting another heat issue thread about the i7 920.
However each issue seems to be different to one another.
Here is a screen cap of Speed fan, real temp,Cpuz. and the results of an Prime run.
----------------------------------------------------------
TJ max is set to 100.
In prime I ran the BLEND test.
My idle temps seem high to me, not sure if I should be concerned but I hear people having 20 and 30 idle temps. What gives?
Reseated heat sink 2 times after initial seat, so I have 3 total attempts to seat the thing and every time I get Low 40s. So I think I have it right.
Whats your thoughts.
comptest_by_egviagn-d2ysy4o.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------
Board: Asus p6t ws pro
CPU: core i7 920
Evga: Geforce GTX 260 Superclocked
Heat sink: Thermal Take Spin Q
Case fans: 1 Front mount with flow in - 1 Side case mount flow out- 1 rear case mount flow out.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Your current temps are within safe limits although normally you would probably expect them to be a little lower. Do you live in a particularly hot area? Are you using the stock heatsink and fan unit? How is the general air flow through your case? These factors can cause slightly higher temperatures than expected although your temps are certainly nothing to be too alarmed about.

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Just noticed from your screen shot that your local temp is 93F which is about 33C. That's a pretty hot area, hence you would have high ambient temperatures. This is probably the reason your temps aren't as low as some other people have reported :) It's nothing to worry about, although you could consider purchasing an aftermarket CPU cooler which may help reduce your temps a little more than the stock cooler will.

bcrady

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010

As far as air movement goes I feel its rather good. I have a front fan blowing in, a side mount fan blowing out and the rear fan blowing out.
We keep the house temp at around 72f to 75f. After it gets over 80f outside, 75 feels really nice LOL.
I am using an aftermatket cooler.
Its the Spin Q from thermal take.
However I am not certain that this cooler was made specifically to cool this CPU. They provide a kit that will allow it to mount on to my board for the 1366 socket.
I have looked into getting one of those coolers that have the electric cooling plate, one side is hot and the other is cold. But, after the answers I have gotten I may just wait.
I have read all over the net that the I7 CPU is a heat monster. If I ever decide to leave the CPU over clocked I might get a new cooler.
Thanks a bunch for your help.