Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Flash Before Replace?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 26, 2011 4:49:58 AM

Hi all. I got so much good help on the last problem I had I thought of you all immediately.

A classmate of mine has an HP/Compaq Presario CQ60. The heat issues related to the CQ series are notorious, and I think it has claimed another victim here. When the machine is booted up, I see a series of colored screens but no POST. Ever. I see black, then grey, red, green, blue, grey, black, a screen that transitions from black on the right to white on the left but only about 4/5 of the screen displays this and the remaining 1/5 is a solid black bar finally it transitions up and down with black on top and white on the bottom. I keep using the word transitions because honestly I can't remember the term right off hand. It is a static screen but the colors fade into one another as one looks from the right to the left of the screen or the top to the bottom. Anyway... this continues and continues and I have yet to see it POST, let alone get to the OP sys.

It seems as though the video processor on the motherboard has let go, and I theorize that the colors I see are the possibly the BIOS running a system diagnostic, but I am really not sure. She was experiencing the usual heat-lock up that these machines present, but two weeks ago it refused to even POST. So... my question is this: Should I even bother attempting to flash the BIOS on this machine, or would it be better to just go ahead and replace the motherboard and be done with it? In all seriousness I think I know what needs to be done, but I wanted to hear from the experts first.

Thanks all.

More about : flash replace

Best solution

April 26, 2011 6:32:55 AM

unless you are able to remote login to the PC over a network and run the windows based flash utility, how will you know its worked, if you have a spare dimm swap that and see if you get a post, alternatively have you tried to hook up the vga port on the laptop to an external screen, if you get the same display on an external screen and or cant log in remotely, bin it or as you wish get a new Mboard....unless you really feel like getting handy and pulling it apart and check the solder joints for the tft screen on the laptop or re-flowing it. Both of which will take effort and have a small margin of success.
April 27, 2011 4:24:57 AM

curtis_87 said:
unless you are able to remote login to the PC over a network and run the windows based flash utility, how will you know its worked, if you have a spare dimm swap that and see if you get a post, alternatively have you tried to hook up the vga port on the laptop to an external screen, if you get the same display on an external screen and or cant log in remotely, bin it or as you wish get a new Mboard....unless you really feel like getting handy and pulling it apart and check the solder joints for the tft screen on the laptop or re-flowing it. Both of which will take effort and have a small margin of success.

Thanks Curtis. I was thinking the same things you had at the end of your reply. If I am going to go as far as to check the solder points, I might just as well replace the mobo and be done with it.

I did try the VGA port and it's not displaying anything. My wife has almost the same machine (CQ61) and I found the with Win7 the user has to press Fn + F4 to get the port operational, then Win7 gives the operator a visual list of 4 options. Without a useable POST, I can't get to 7 so... outta luck there.

I didn't think about swapping the DIMM... If that doesn't solve it... I'll replace. Even that's a crap-shoot though as I have read that the BIOS in some HP/Compaq configurations have to be configured by a propietary HP program which is only delivered to HP/Compaq certified techs. Obviously... I am not one.

Anyway. I appreciate the reply. I'm off to swap the RAM!
m
l
April 27, 2011 4:25:40 AM

Best answer selected by RickW.
m
l
Related resources
!