Sign in with
Your question

How to convert a RAW drive to NTFS?

Last response: in Storage
September 21, 2012 3:32:52 AM

Okay, I got to give this a fresh try... I’ve been very helpful so far, but the problem is still there, and it boils down to this:
How do I convert a FAT32 formatted drive which the system says is a RAW drive into NTFS without losing all my data on there? I would hate to have to install all my programs again...
And if that is not possible, how do I format D: into NTFS? I tried the setup CD, but it didn't really get me there. Rather with a 98 disk and FDISK?
Thirdly: Is there any way to divide my D: (64GB) into more partitions via Windows? Could anyone help me to convert it without loosing any data there?
Gee, I hope, anybody has a clue to this...

More about : convert raw drive ntfs

a c 104 G Storage
September 21, 2012 7:06:04 PM

Hello, & Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

Need to know about your computer and OS. Is your OS Win-98? Also is the Partition that says RAW data your System Partition, or a separate Data Partitions with a different Volume letter, like E:, or F:, or on a removable USB drive?

When you see a partition labelled as RAW data, it means the file system has become corrupted, so I'm not sure where you are seeing the FAT32.

Could you please go to Disk Management (right click on My Computer, Manage, then in the lower left of Computer Management, click on Disk Management). Then upload a screen shot of the Disk Management Dialog box, so we can see exactly what the problem is, and give you the best advice as to how to fix it.
a b G Storage
September 21, 2012 8:01:32 PM

+1

...to add, please backup your data prior to performing any conversion.
Related resources
a b G Storage
September 21, 2012 8:25:38 PM

@Ask4Y,

If your drive is shown as "RAW", your data is (almost) already lost. DON'T DO ANYTHING (don't format, re-partition etc) unless you try some recovery options.

Google/Bing for "Data recovery". I have used "Get Data Back" (paid app) with great success in such cases.
September 23, 2012 3:56:20 AM

Thank you all for answering my question firstly. my computer is Windows xp. Since it

becomes RAW, i cannot do anything to my HD, I cannot access to my HD. i have checked many

webs and forums, they write that i could apply a data recovery program to recover them and

then format the HD and everything is gonna be ok,i also get the download link :
http://www.piriform.com/recuva

http://download.cnet.com/iCare-Data-Recovery-Free/3000-...
is that right? i really donnot know what to do next ?
September 23, 2012 9:07:02 AM

Firstly, you need to buy another HD at least the same size as the one that's damaged if you don't have the space elsewhere. Use Recuva, Get Data Back, etc to find and save the files that are on the damaged HD then copy these over to your new HD. You don't need to worry how this is done because Recuva, etc will access the damaged HD if it is accessible and do this for you.

When you're satisfied that the copied files are all in working order then you can reformat your old HD. If the data includes system files and applications then you will have to reinstall those but documents, movies, music etc should be fine

But don't entirely trust the old HD and use it like before because you don't know why it went RAW in the first place and it could do it again.

If it's a Buffalo HD I find it better to use their Reformat Utility that comes with the disk
a c 104 G Storage
September 23, 2012 4:45:13 PM

Hello again,

Stivesstu is correct, you will need file storage space to recover your data on another drive. Could be your main C: drive if there's space, or a USB drive with adequate space.

Recuva will NOT recover RAW data. It is for recovering files that have been erased (disconnected from the directory). The problem with RAW data is that the file system in that particular Partition, has become corrupted, which is completely different.

If you could upload a screenshot of Disk Management with the drive connected, we will be better able to advise you as to what to do next.
September 24, 2012 1:59:24 AM

Thank you very much for your thoughtful suggestion, i will buy a new HD and have a try about the recovery program: Recuva in its link:
http://www.piriform.com/recuva
i hope everything is gonna be Ok!
Thank you a lot!
September 24, 2012 3:08:25 AM

OK!It is really fantastic. After i download it from its links:http://www.piriform.com/recuva ,I just cannot help using it, it is really wonderful. and all my data had come back.How lucky i am. it is really easy to go and professional in restoring my data. Of course , thank you again for your advice.
But i also has another question, have you ever used them before, do they could recover my photos on my digital camera and phone after accidentally deletion or format?
because i have ever done those stupid things before. but unfortunately, having not known these programs, i have blamed my self for a really long time, so i naturally think about whether they could settle my problems, too.
Am i right ?
wait for your answer.
Thank you !
September 24, 2012 9:01:06 AM

Never tried to recover data from a phone using these programs but I don't see why they shouldn't work. Test them and let us know - they won't harm your phone/camera.

I think the message that you should take from all of this is that these recovery programs are a last resort and you should backup not only your data but do backups of your backups. Then you'll never lose your data or have to blame yourself again. I had to learn the hard way a few times.
September 25, 2012 1:07:37 AM

Really, i cannot use them to recover my data on my phone, but i have read their instructions on their links. It writes that it can recover any data from all types of memory card,including the phone, but i am not exactly know whether they are right.If someone ever has applied them to restore his data on his phone or camera,it is totally great. I am really curious and wanna have a try,but my camera and phone have saved with my photos, the loss of them also cannot afford. so there's no chance to have a try. of course,as you have said i try to get a habit to always back up my data for the safety of them.
i hope someone could give me some exact idea.
October 10, 2012 8:15:03 AM

It's actually very easy to backup your device to a PC. Once you are able to do that you have the advantage of ensuring your camera or phone always has the latest firmware and new features.

Many devices such as phones, cameras, etc won't be recognised by your PC if you simply just plug them in. Many will, but not all. The software that comes with these devices will install the drivers the PC needs. After that you should be able to connect the device to your PC and see all the data inside. Copy this to your PC and you're done.

The other advantage is that you can copy data (photos, music, etc) from the PC to the device so you don't always have to have the same stuff on your phone for example.

December 9, 2012 5:26:14 AM

ask4y said:
OK!It is really fantastic. After i download it from its links:http://www.piriform.com/recuva ,I just cannot help using it, it is really wonderful. and all my data had come back.How lucky i am. it is really easy to go and professional in restoring my data. Of course , thank you again for your advice.
But i also has another question, have you ever used them before, do they could recover my photos on my digital camera and phone after accidentally deletion or format?
because i have ever done those stupid things before. but unfortunately, having not known these programs, i have blamed my self for a really long time, so i naturally think about whether they could settle my problems, too.
Am i right ?
wait for your answer.
Thank you !

excuse me..how do u actually use the recuva?do u have to format the disc first or u just launch the recuva and start recovering your data? coz i have tried to recover data WITHOUT formatting the disc and the recuva says that it was 'Unable to rad MTF' . please help me
December 11, 2012 4:37:55 AM

Actually, except Recuva, this recovery program is another free and efficient recovery tool.
As I encountered the similar problem last month, I had read about it on another forum. So I couldn’t wait to run it. The result showed it was actually great. I had successfully got back my needed files from my RAW drive. Therefore, I am so excited that I came to share with you here.
!