TIFF vs RAW into Photoshop ?

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 21, 2004 2:02:36 PM

I use RAW and Photoshop most of the time in my 300D. When I try C1
and want to save a shot for more manipulation I haev to use TIFF,
which I know is lossless. I also get 16 bit TIFF out of my film
scanner.

Is going from RAW to TIFF and then into PS losing any quality that
using PS's camera RAW capability would keep, esp since the shots get
converted to 8 bits in PS. Off-hand it doesn't seem so, but I figured
I could get an alternative opinion (or several) here.

Is all TIFF 16 bit ?

Thanks

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

More about : tiff raw photoshop

Anonymous
December 21, 2004 7:14:26 PM

>From: adykes@panix.com (Al Dykes)

>I use RAW and Photoshop most of the time in my 300D. When I try C1
>and want to save a shot for more manipulation I haev to use TIFF,
>which I know is lossless.

You can also save jpegs out of C1.

>Is going from RAW to TIFF and then into PS losing any quality that
>using PS's camera RAW capability would keep, esp since the shots get
>converted to 8 bits in PS.

From either CS RAW or C1 you can convert to either 8 bit or 16 bit tiff ...
there is no "quality loss" but you will see a difference in the output of the
converters (probably easiest to see in the clear tonal areas if you blow up to
400% and compare C1 to CS RAW). This is not because of the file format but
because of the conversion from linear RAW data to the tiff file.

>Is all TIFF 16 bit ?

No, there are 8 bit and 16 bit tiff standards ... actually your 300D is 12
bits/channel and it's only stored in 16 bit format to make it simpler to write
off tiff files. You mention getting 16 bit tiffs from your scanner but
depending on the scanner these could be 10 or 12 or 14 or 16 bits/channel
stored in 16 bit format.

If you're asking for advice I'd say try to get the white balance and white
points set as well as possible in C1 or CS RAW, convert to 16 bit tiffs and
make your Photoshop edits on that file, but once the major tonal corrections
have been done either in RAW or on the tiff you can convert to 8 bits and not
see a difference. Basically 16 bits/channel is most useful when you have to do
a lot of editing but you typically will convert to 8 bits for output anyway (ie
printing or web).
Anonymous
December 22, 2004 3:46:08 AM

"Bill Hilton" <bhilton665@aol.comedy> wrote in message news:20041221111426.10335.00001551@mb-m25.aol.com...
>>Is all TIFF 16 bit ?
>
> No, there are 8 bit and 16 bit tiff standards ...

TIFF could be even one bit. You can receive fax has
TIFF file.

Toomas
!