Sign in with
Your question

1 Beep, 2 Short Beeps - Integrated GFX, No Card

Last response: in Systems
July 17, 2010 5:44:59 PM

Several weeks ago my system refused to boot. I was getting a 1 long, 4 short beep sequence. I sent both the motherboard and my graphics card back for RMA.

The motherboard is a Foxconn A7DA 3.0 Series. I got it back (they just sent me a replacement, I'm still not sure what if anything was wrong with the original) and reassembled the system WITHOUT the graphics card (it's in the mail, nothing was wrong with it).

After reassembly I go to start the system and I'm getting a 1 long, 2 short beep sequence.

Typically, this indicates an issue with the video (correct?). Now, this could simply be a result of me not having a graphics card installed in the system yet. My concern, though, is that the mobo has an integrated graphics card. I assumed that if no graphics card was installed, that the system would default to the integrated card.

Out of the box, do most mobos with integrated graphics have the integrated graphics on by default or off? I have not tried clearing the CMOS, mainly because I haven't done anything so I don't see how clearing it would help.

Thoughts?

This may all be moot once my gfx card arrives next week, but if there is another issue that I should be looking in to I'd like to get on that since I've already been without this system for about 3 weeks.
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
a c 156 V Motherboard
July 17, 2010 6:03:03 PM

Integrated graphics is generally on by default. And the BIOS will automatically detect the presence of a video card and automatically deactivate the integrated graphics.
m
l
July 17, 2010 10:21:41 PM

So my graphics card came today (surprisingly).

Put it back in and I still got the 1 Beep, 2 short beeps.

So I cleared the CMOS. Now I'm back to 1 Beep, 4 short beeps.

Any ideas? I've now replaced the MOBO and had the graphics card checked. What should I be checking next?
m
l
Related resources
July 17, 2010 10:50:44 PM

From what I've been able to find, your 1 long 4 short is a memory error. Try testing your RAM one stick at a time.

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/en-us/support/faq_detail....

That's a list of Foxconn BIOS beep codes. Might be able to figure out something more specific if you look in your mobo manual if you find that your RAM isn't the problem.
m
l
July 17, 2010 10:55:24 PM

I have tried each RAM individually in every slot. I mean...maybe all 4 sticks went bad, it just seems unlikely which is why I haven't tried replacing it yet.
m
l
July 17, 2010 11:01:03 PM

That does seem weird. I was reading through some Google links and someone said that the problem may also be a memory controller problem on the motherboard itself or a cache controller on the CPU.
m
l
July 17, 2010 11:03:03 PM

It does seem to be down between the CPU and the RAM. I just have no way to figure out which one it might be, short of RMAing all of it. I'm probably going to bring it to a computer shop nearby to have them diagnose the issue.
m
l
July 17, 2010 11:11:17 PM

I hope they can figure out what the problem is. Good luck, hopefully it doesn't cost you much.
m
l
!