Your question

Amd athlon 64 x2 5000+ opinion

Last response: in CPUs
September 16, 2010 4:25:49 AM

Hi
I would like to know if this processor is any good

I have a current sempron @ 1.8ghz and sapphire hd4650
my current processor seems to bottleneck performance

I use my computer for light gaming and media so just let me know what you think of this processor

Thanks
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2010 5:12:37 AM

It's an obsolete CPU but roughly comparable with a budget Athlon II X2 240.
If your motherboard supports the newer Athlon II series with a BIOS update I would choose a triple core Athlon II easily over the old Athon 64 X2 CPU's.
However if you can't upgrade, the Athlon 64 X2 5000+ CPU would be a worthwhile upgrade especially at newegg over your current Sempron CPU.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
For about $40 why not?
m
l
September 16, 2010 5:19:28 AM

I had one, it was ok...better than a sempron, but it didnt live up to my expectations. When the motherboard died I went to intel...
m
l
Related resources
September 16, 2010 1:11:34 PM

...it has it's up sides that processor...yes it is old tech...but if you are lucky it will be a BE edition with an unlocked multiplier...if it is you will have no trouble cranking it up to 3.0 GHz just by upping the multiplier...so you get the increase from the architecture, increase in speed (2.6GHz at stock = 800MHz gain ...not to be sneezed at)...and an easy OC to boot...not to mention a 2nd. core.....if it's cheap enough you'll get a very nice performance gain for stuff all $$$$

oh and while you are ...use AMD's Catalyst software to OC that GPU of yours too...it's very safe...and my experience has always been better value from a GPU OC than from a CPU one...should have no trouble getting that up to 4770 specs...
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2010 1:17:19 PM

Honestly, it depends on the Sempron. Use CPU-z to discover what model you have.

Semprons date back to the Socket A era to Socket AM3 with some having dual or single cores.
m
l
September 16, 2010 1:48:22 PM

...yes...but the OP was asking about allieviating the bottleneck they were experiencing. That 5000+ will out-perform a 740/939 or a 940 Sempron... well worth it even if he needs a another mobo to run it..there is a large disparity in speed alone ... let alone all the other feature that CPU will bring to the table....I only just upgraded my X2 6000+ and that was far from exhausted.. and I am an avid gamer... that CPU is very competent...have no fear about that...
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
September 16, 2010 1:48:36 PM

harna said:
...it has it's up sides that processor...yes it is old tech...but if you are lucky it will be a BE edition with an unlocked multiplier...if it is you will have no trouble cranking it up to 3.0 GHz just by upping the multiplier...so you get the increase from the architecture, increase in speed (2.6GHz at stock = 800MHz gain ...not to be sneezed at)...and an easy OC to boot...not to mention a 2nd. core.....if it's cheap enough you'll get a very nice performance gain for stuff all $$$$

oh and while you are ...use AMD's Catalyst software to OC that GPU of yours too...it's very safe...and my experience has always been better value from a GPU OC than from a CPU one...should have no trouble getting that up to 4770 specs...

Don't forget that the 5000+ has the potential to be unlocked to a triple or quad core IF the 5000+ is this 2.2GHz one:
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Athlon%20X2%20500...(AD5000ODGIBOX).html
^this processor, despite it's naming, is actually a K10 processor as opposed to a K8. As such it falls under the same category as the Athlon x2 7xxx series which have the potential to be unlocked. The older K8 versions are manufactured as dual cores and have nothing to unlock.
I agree with the CCC overclock. Nice little feature to boost speeds without messing with the GPU bios, the voltages or having to experiment with speeds.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2010 1:53:45 PM

harna said:
...yes...but the OP was asking about allieviating the bottleneck they were experiencing. That 5000+ will out-perform a 740/939 or a 940 Sempron... well worth it even if he needs a another mobo to run it..there is a large disparity in speed alone ... let alone all the other feature that CPU will bring to the table....I only just upgraded my X2 6000+ and that was far from exhausted.. and I am an avid gamer... that CPU is very competent...have no fear about that...

Bottleneck wouldn't be that bad if it was a dual-core Sempron. Heck I'd say a dual-core Sempy is enough, buit without any data, how could you even know what socket mobo the OP is using. For all I care he could be using a Sempron (Socket A) with a AGP HD 4650.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
September 16, 2010 2:13:59 PM

amdfangirl said:
Bottleneck wouldn't be that bad if it was a dual-core Sempron. Heck I'd say a dual-core Sempy is enough, buit without any data, how could you even know what socket mobo the OP is using. For all I care he could be using a Sempron (Socket A) with a AGP HD 4650.

This is true. There were a lot of sempron 1.8GHz models and there was even an AGP version of the radeon 4650, so we can't even assume he has something as far along as PCI-e.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 16, 2010 2:16:58 PM

Like I said, a CPU-Z or some more info would be very helpful.
m
l
September 16, 2010 10:58:57 PM

amdfangirl said:

...be that as it may...but that 5000+ will have many more system wide benefits than just FPS increases..I have aknowledged the importance of the GPU in this equation by suggesting the OP OC's that in the process...looking at an overall system upgrade not just game bottlenecking...the OP can enjoy some considerable gains with this upgrade...if the CPU is a BE and he can run it on his current board then IMO this upgrade is a no brainer..he should be encouraged to do it.. if a new mobo is required.. well we can then do a bit of a cost analysis with him on whether and how much upgrade he can achive within the OP's budget..

...but if he hasn't posted his system specs and he is using this site and seemingly knows something about pc platforms ...i'll assume in the first instance that the OP thinks that he might simply be able to run that AM2 proc on his current mobo.. there's no harm in putting forward some food for thought...

..as for the OP's system...my wifes pc is built around a 4800+ X2 and a 3650 GPU 4Gb of RAM and it games very nicely as well as looking after her speadsheets and text docs...no as I said I have no fear in the capability of the 5000+...it is a very competent CPU....
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
September 17, 2010 1:37:14 AM

harna said:
should have no trouble getting that up to 4770 specs...

I very highly doubt that, especially since the 4670 overclocked can't even make it to 4670 specs.

Just in case you didn't know, the 4770 is about 90-95% the performance of the 4850 which is on par with the 5750 and GTS250.
m
l
September 17, 2010 4:25:57 AM

enzo matrix said:
I very highly doubt that, especially since the 4670 overclocked can't even make it to 4670 specs.

Just in case you didn't know, the 4770 is about 90-95% the performance of the 4850 which is on par with the 5750 and GTS250.

..thanks very much for the GPU information ....but I own a 4850 and a 5770 crossfire platform, just finished with a 3870... and there is a 3650 in my wifes pc all tested all benchmarked.....

....I might have some idea where these relative gpu's lie in regard to performance, there will be considerable room in the OP's 4650 to work with..only the 4670 & 4750 between his current gpu and the 4770...same interface at 128mb so RAM and GPU clocks only need to be lifted..the CCC software will do that automatically for him..of course there is never a gurantee in any OC... we all know that...
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 20, 2010 5:50:24 AM

harna said:
..thanks very much for the GPU information ....but I own a 4850 and a 5770 crossfire platform, just finished with a 3870... and there is a 3650 in my wifes pc all tested all benchmarked.....

....I might have some idea where these relative gpu's lie in regard to performance, there will be considerable room in the OP's 4650 to work with..only the 4670 & 4750 between his current gpu and the 4770...same interface at 128mb so RAM and GPU clocks only need to be lifted..the CCC software will do that automatically for him..of course there is never a gurantee in any OC... we all know that...

what ur suggesting is that 4670, which already have the same clock as 4770, can be occed so.much that this small 59w card will perform the same as 80w 4770(4770 is 40nm and 4670 is 55. so it will consume a lot more power to reach 4770 performance)? thats just wrong....where will that card draw its juce from? 4670 don have pci e power cord.

and there is no 4750. 4730 is a 110w card as it is 55nm process.
please do get ur facts straight. no point misleading ppl

here is a review of 477p. www.guru3d.com/article/ati-radeon-hd-4770-review/10

please sugest how a card that bests 4830 can be out matched by 4670 oced

also pleaselet us know how 4670 with clock speed of 750 and ddr3 + 320 cores out perform a 640core ddr5 at 750mhz when overclocked

www.guru3d.com/article/ati-radeon-hd-4770-review/2

heres what u get when u oc a 4670
http://www.guru3d.com/article/ati-radeon-hd-4670-review...

cheers

m
l
a b à CPUs
September 20, 2010 6:02:40 AM

finballin said:
Sorry for late reply

Sorry it took so long for reply, had a busy weekend and what not..

heres the system specs
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

i just got the newest bios update too which alows me to run up too the 64 x2 6400
but thats above my budget.

what is ur budget? i would suggest that u try selling ur motherboard + CPU and get a athlon II X2 240 + AM2+ mother board. u can use the existing RAM on this.
it will perform like a 6400+ due to new, better architecture
here are some example:

u may need to add 20-30 dollar, depending how much u can harvest from selling your old Mobo + CPU

if its not possible, then 5000+ will give u a nice bump too. either ways, you wont be unhappy
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
September 20, 2010 11:22:07 AM

^ yep. plus you will no longer be stuck with compaq's bios, if that matters to you.
m
l
September 20, 2010 11:02:27 PM

Yes the compaq bios is very bad
What sense does it make to make it like they do
But anyways..
I ended up buying a 5000 off ebay for 40$ and its coming in tonight
I want to know too if upgrading from 512mb ram to 1 or 2 gigs would make a substantial increase in
Performance increase
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 20, 2010 11:42:17 PM

Yes it will, a full 2GB will smoothen up your computing experience by quite abit, perhaps more than a CPU upgrade.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
September 21, 2010 12:56:15 AM

Timop said:
Yes it will, a full 2GB will smoothen up your computing experience by quite abit, perhaps more than a CPU upgrade.

Especially with that media stuff, if I am interpreting correctly what you mean by "light gaming and media"
m
l
September 21, 2010 12:59:04 AM

Ok thanks guys with all your replies
I have run into one last problem that I can't solve..

I have no thermal paste..
Is there a substitute I can use that will last for a while until I can get some?
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 21, 2010 12:59:48 AM

No, you'll have to wait to get some unfortunately.
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
September 21, 2010 1:50:12 AM

If you don't intend on doing anything CPU intensive, you might be able to get away with no thermal compound. Temps should jump 5-10*C higher than with thermal compound. But be careful and watch those temps. Your choice to risk or not.

Any thermally conductive material could work temporarily before it dries up. Unfortunately, most are also electrically conductive and runny and therefore dangerous to try. Your choice to risk or not.

If you decide to go the first route, I'd undervolt and underclock the CPU in the bios before booting up to keep the temps down.
m
l
September 21, 2010 1:50:16 AM

Smeared the old paste from the sempron across the 5000+ compressed them and let them sit for a half hour..
there was more past on the heatsink too
Booted up the system no problems as of yet
m
l
a c 131 à CPUs
September 21, 2010 1:51:58 AM

^old paste? keep an eye on your temps, especially if the paste was dried up.
m
l
a b à CPUs
September 21, 2010 2:25:04 AM

No paste isn't really do-able IMO, (especially with Intels). The surface just isn't even enough with stock coolers. Stock paste should work fine though, it should melt one it heats up, just be careful not to rip the CPU out of the socket the next time you try to remove it.
m
l
!