Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Slower boot time after connecting external HD

Last response: in Storage
September 21, 2012 7:05:03 AM

Hello.

Im using 120gb samsung 830 SSD and windows boot logo shows up for about 5 seconds

but after keeping my usb HD plugged windows logo shows up for about 10 seconds (5 seconds longer)

my usb drive is - seagate goflex usb 3.0 external hard drive 1.5TB ( 1TB of storage stored currently)

I need to keep this plugged because im using it as my storage.

Here are my questions.

- Is it supposed to slow down boot speed?

-If yes, does it ONLY slow down the boot speed?

-IF i use regular (internal?) hard drives will it still slow down my boot speed? (does it effect at all? or no)

-If i format my usb 3.0 external hard drive will it still slow down the boot speed?

Thanks for reading!

Please reply. Im really looking for answers. :sweat: 
a c 104 G Storage
September 22, 2012 12:00:13 AM

Hi John,

Of course your SSD is many times faster than a regular HDD loading windows, but the only things I can think of that would slow it down at that point are a delay in spin up of the HDD's, as set in seconds in the BIOS, the failure of a needed OS Driver or System Service and the creating the Virtual page file system (Pagefile.sys).

Did you move any system files, pagefile.sys, or libraries to the HDD that it needs to find?

You could run another test, and time the 6 phases of StartUp to see for sure where the delay is:
POST (turn on to splash screen), System StartUp (splash screen to boot menu), Boot Manager (boot menu to white Loading OS text), Boot Loader (Loading OS text to Windows is starting) Kernel Loading Phase (Windows is Starting to Logon screen), Logon (logon screen to desktop).
If you are not multibooting, or if you don't have a User password, the Boot menu and user logon won't show up separately.

There are ways to isolate problems in the Kernel Loading Phase, like using the Bootlog, and Safemode to isolate Driver and Service failure.

Once loaded, the system should not be affected by the load time
Not sure what you mean by formatting a removable USB drive and the boot time.
m
l
September 22, 2012 6:26:42 AM

John_VanKirk said:
Hi John,

Of course your SSD is many times faster than a regular HDD loading windows, but the only things I can think of that would slow it down at that point are a delay in spin up of the HDD's, as set in seconds in the BIOS, the failure of a needed OS Driver or System Service and the creating the Virtual page file system (Pagefile.sys).

Did you move any system files, pagefile.sys, or libraries to the HDD that it needs to find?

You could run another test, and time the 6 phases of StartUp to see for sure where the delay is:
POST (turn on to splash screen), System StartUp (splash screen to boot menu), Boot Manager (boot menu to white Loading OS text), Boot Loader (Loading OS text to Windows is starting) Kernel Loading Phase (Windows is Starting to Logon screen), Logon (logon screen to desktop).
If you are not multibooting, or if you don't have a User password, the Boot menu and user logon won't show up separately.

There are ways to isolate problems in the Kernel Loading Phase, like using the Bootlog, and Safemode to isolate Driver and Service failure.

Once loaded, the system should not be affected by the load time
Not sure what you mean by formatting a removable USB drive and the boot time.

Thank you for replying and, sorry for my terrible English.

I meant that i still use my SSD to boot up, but im keeping my external usb drive plugged in for additional storage.

Please help me with the questions again now that i explained properly. :( 

Im so sorry for bad explanation. :??: 

-IF i use regular (internal?) hard drives will it still slow down my boot speed? (does it effect at all? or no)

-If i format my usb 3.0 external hard drive will it still slow down the boot speed?

m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 104 G Storage
September 22, 2012 4:27:46 PM

john930331 said:
Thank you for replying and, sorry for my terrible English.

I meant that i still use my SSD to boot up, but im keeping my external usb drive plugged in for additional storage.

Please help me with the questions again now that i explained properly. :( 

Im so sorry for bad explanation. :??: 

Hi John.

Is it supposed to slow down boot speed? No, unless the OS is trying to load a service or driver it can't find. then it tries a few seconds before moving on. If you have the SATA configuration set to AHCI (best) it does take a few seconds more to StartUP.

-If yes, does it ONLY slow down the boot speed? Yes, it won't affect regular computing.

-IF i use regular (internal?) hard drives will it still slow down my boot speed? (does it effect at all? or no) Probably not, because the SATA data transfer protocol is different from the USB protocol used on the ext HDD.

-If i format my usb 3.0 external hard drive will it still slow down the boot speed? Has nothing to do with what data is on the ext HDD.

Although there are Administrator ways of specifically looking into the BootUp time with diagnostics in the Group Policy snapin, 5 seconds is not worth bothering with.

September 22, 2012 9:46:35 PM

Best answer selected by john930331.
m
l
!