Video card spark

phoenix2121

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
So I'm at school and GF tells me PC turns off and wont turn back on. I get home and she's right it will light up but then shut off. I take the side off and do it again. I see a spark from the V-card. If your looking at the video card in the board. I have a geforce gtx 240 and there are to ports for the power cord from the PSU to the video card and only the left port on the video card sparks.

Wondering if anyone knows what could be the problem? I havent overclocked or done any mods to the video card. I'm guessing a short in the pins or wire from the PSU....any opinions?

Not a good sign at all! If you have a different Power Supply, I'd possibly try that to see if the problem goes away.

Either way, your GTS 240 may very well be dead now. An electrical spark (created by the PSU or the GPU) could have already caused damage to the video card.

Does the video card spark if the power connector is removed? Or only if it's plugged in? And can you try a different power connector?

If you have a different video card, you could try installing that just to make sure the system itself still works.

Falsepuppet

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
If its dead, and the card itself is to blame, contact the Company and see what they have to say.
Next is check your PSU and MoBo. Hopefully its not your PSU or it could have caused some real damage. If you have the speaker that came with your mobo, plug it in and try to boot up. this speaker has BEEP codes that can identify what is wrong with your computer, and is ran through your BIOS.
If you can't get your mobo speaker to beep, its time to start calling some companys.

Falsepuppet

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
oops left this out:
locate what your BEEP codes mean, either in the mobo instruction manual, or online (somehow) through your BIOS supplier. Your mobo instruction manual should tell you what BIOS you have if it doesnt boot long enough to tell you.
If all else fails, you should check with the maker

phoenix2121

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
It only sparks at the left plug on the connector when the left connector is plugged in otherwise there is no spark at all with the left plug in removed from the video card

I'd say the absolute key is determining whether it's the Video Card causing this, or the Power Supply.

It could be a short in the power connector on the video card. Could be a short in the power cable itself, or a short in the power supply that feeds to the cable. I'd be very careful as you proceed, because any short/sparking could potentially damage more components in the system.

Might be worth having someone test your power supply and video card for you (separately) so you don't continue to damage more equipment. Chances are, the video card and power supply could both be toast.

phoenix2121

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
so i got a cheap graphics card from a friend at school and it works fine but doesnt need a power supply lol so i'll take your advice and get the PS and GPU checked. but comp is fine otherwise no other errors