Sign in with
Your question

Starting from scratch

Last response: in Systems
July 17, 2010 7:34:44 PM

Hi guys

I need a new computer. My previous one was a Dell GX280, and it was horrible since I could not modify e.g. the cooling fan without the BIOS complaining. My new computer must satisfy

1) It must be very quiet, ideally as quiet as possible. I am very sensitive to noise when I work, and I cannot focus properly if there is too much noise around me. If there is a case fan, then it should be easily replaceable (contrary to the Dell GX280, which had a 5pin connector!?)

2) I do a lot of numerical computations and programming in my studies, so it cannot be too slow. I do not play any games, so I guess the graphics card is not that important, but I listen to music when not working, so a good sound card is preferable.

I will assemble it myself. Unfortunately, I am ignorant in the hardware field, so if you have any suggestions at all for the components, they are more than welcome. Regarding the price range, I can stretch the price to 1500 US $ (as a maximum).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Niles.

More about : starting scratch

a b B Homebuilt system
July 17, 2010 7:54:59 PM

The onboard sound on todays motherboards is pretty good. Only the most hardcore audiophiles with big systems actually buy sound cards... I think you'd be fine for normal music listening with onboard sound of a decent motherboard.

You have some options to go here... you could build an $800 system that will easily handle all of that. Or you could spend $1500 on a super system that's overkill (but hey, we all want the best of the best).

Primarily the bulk of money in a $1500 system is normally spent on video cards (500 to 800) - since a decent $100 video card will suffice you, I'd say to go the previous route. Also do you need monitors???

I'd say this is where you should be
-i7-920 $300
-Gigabyte 1366 socket motherboard $200
-6gb DDR3 ram - 3x2gb $150
-Samsung spinpoint 1tb $75
-Case and 550 or 600watt power supply (around $150, depending on how nice of a case you want)
-DVDrw -$25 (maybe a 2nd if you use them alot?)
-GTS250 1gb GPU $130

These are just basic prices, obviously if you look for ones in combos or ones with rebates, you can save some money there too
m
l
July 17, 2010 8:07:38 PM

No moniter for now (I should have mentioned that in my first post - sorry!)

Will a 600W PS be noisy? Please keep in mind: The goal is that the computer should be as quiet as possible.

Best,
Niles.
m
l
!