How to make sure that my router doesn't emit signals?

Startup123

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Hi,
several years ago, my internet service provider sent me a new replacement router 2Wire Gateway. At the time I didn't know it is a wireless router. I've been using it all the time with wires plugged into the computers. Lately I realized that this router is also a wireless router and I wonder if it still emits wireless signals in spite of the fact that all my computers are connected with wires to it.
I want to make sure that the router doesn't emit wireless signals.
Any ideas as to how to achieve this will be greatly appreciated.

Startup123

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
I'm concerned with health issues related to prolong exposure to wireless network devices. Since I don't use the wireless feature of the router I don't want any wireless transition from it.
I want to find out if the router still transmits wireless signals when I don't use them.

In case LaptopNomad is busy putting up his tent, may I just pitch in to say from your screenshot it seems your wireless router isn't emitting nay signal. The Access Point is set as Disabled. I fyou really want to be certain, a simple wired router woul ddo what you need and you could sell or give the wireless one to someone who does need it but they are no more harmful than a simple microwave oven.[/#000ff]

gcg

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2010
If you really cannot shut down your wireless connection, which I find weird because I have been always been able to do that on numerous routers, then looking at the picture you provided some things could be tried like:

1) Set an encryption key (preferably WPA because WEP is very vulnerable to cracking).
2) Set the power setting as low as possible.
3) This won't protect you against a hacker who knows what he's doing but disabling SSID broadcast will stop most people from seeing your network.

I'm not sure about this but isn't your wireless already off? At least I can read from upper right corner of your screenshot that the access point is disabled. You really could ask someone to test this thing out!

Dunno if disabling the access point actually prevents any wifi signal from being transmitted, but I did notice that the OP can set his "power level" - I'd see if zero or one is a selectable option :p.

Also, IIRC most wireless transmitters are in the vicinity of 35 milliwatts or less radiated power. That is tiny compared to say a cellphone, which can peak up to 3000 milliwatts I think. And that 3 watts of power is usually right next to your noggin, which is presumably your seat of intelligence :p