Problem with ADATA External HDD

nima6996

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012
Hi,
i have an ADATA (CH94) external hard drive.
when i connect the hard drive to my laptop i only can access to the stored data for around 15 secound and after that the hard drive doesn't respond and my camputer hangs.

it's good to know that when i connect the hard drive to another laptop it works good and again when i connect another hard drive to my laptop that works too!!!

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

I agree with Ghislain.

Your laptop may not be able to supply the power required for this ext USB HDD. I could not find any specs on the drive, but normal USB ports are rated at 500ma current, and 2.5 Watts.

I would replace the drive with a different model, preferably with its own power supply, that plugs into the wall.
The fact that it works on another computer means either there is a problem with the power to the drive, the cable, or the HDD itself.

You can check it out by downloading on another computer that works with it, "HD Tune", and check the Info Tab, Health Tab, and Benchmard Tab for transfer rates. If there is a problem you will see it on the tests. You can check out the cable, by trying a different USB cable. There is no easy way to check the power drawn by the unit.

The problem with continuing to use the drive, is that if it stops working when you have files open, or are transferring files, they can easily become corrupted, as could the Partition table or File system, and then the data on it will be unreadable, even on another computer.