Opinions on the Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X Rev. 2?

tehdrizzle

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on the Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X Revision 2. I've seen alot of good and bad and it is so mixed I can't make my mind up if I want to just get one of these for now. Alot of horror stories of gray screens of death, crashing, being unstable at the 875 / 1250 factory OC, yet others are stable at 900 / 1300 OC. From what I'm seeing, it looks like you are either hit or miss with these cards and it's pretty much the luck of the draw on if you get a good one or bad one. Anyone have one of these, or have experience working with one?

You should be looking at other cards that can achieve higher clocks while staying relatively cool. 875/1250 is a mediocre overclock for such a highly regarded card. There are a few 5850/5870's that can surpass the Vapor-X when it comes to "overclocking" at a much cheaper price.

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
So I found this old tread still open and it's exactly the problem I've run into.
So over the past 2 years has anything been figured out about making the Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X stable or even better at overclocking?
I bought a used Sapphire 5870 Vapor-X OC Edition and it's unstable even at the factory set 875/1250 clock in WOW and Civ V. Seems like possibly the memory clock speed or Temp is the problem but I can't tell for sure.