Sign in with
Your question

SSD installed with win7hdd in

Last response: in Storage
a c 888 G Storage
September 21, 2012 1:55:51 PM

My buddy called me and he installed and SSD and loaded a fresh install of windows 7 and all his games & software - all while the old hdd (with win7 installed) was still connected.

He is in ahci mode but getting low sequential reads from the Samsung 830 and I suspect it may be because of the hdd bootloader.
amd 880 chipset and he is on amd sata3-6gbs ports.

Anyone know of a fix for this or is he in for a reinstall with the hdd disconnected?

More about : ssd installed win7hdd

a b G Storage
September 21, 2012 5:38:52 PM

I have just installed a Samsung 830 for my OS and games, I have disconnected the HHD for the installation, however I connected the SSD to the 3GBs port instead of the 6GBs one, because Intel driver (port 3GB) is better than the Marvel (6GB), but my system is Intel -- I don´t know how it works for AMD.
m
l
a c 324 G Storage
September 21, 2012 5:41:13 PM

I would make a system repair disk using the Windows 7 repair disk wizard, then disconnect the HDD and restart with only the SSD and system repair disk CD in place to fix the SRP and/or bootloader. That has always worked for me.
m
l
Related resources
a c 888 G Storage
September 21, 2012 9:48:00 PM

I'll have him give that a try RealBeast. TY!
m
l
a b G Storage
September 21, 2012 10:20:25 PM

disconnecting the drive and booting off the ssd will work, or if its 'bouncing' off the other hdd then you can put in the original Windows 7 DVD and boot from that, select startup repair and it will check and rebuild / replace the boot loader/config etc (just dont go past that install window!)

also make sure you have the latest chipset drivers installed, and enable disk caching!
m
l
!