Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Help with RAID 0 on MSI 790FX-GD70

Last response: in Motherboards
April 26, 2011 2:12:24 PM

I'm going to be setting up two Spinpoint F4's in RAID 0 on my MSI 790FX-GD70. Here's a newegg link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

These aren't for the OS just for games and less important programs. I've never set up a RAID array, but I do consider myself fairly computer literate. I've read before on these and other forums not to use the J-Micron controller for a RAID array. If someone could give me a quick rundown on what to do in the BIOS I would be most grateful. I'll probably just use the default RAID 0 settings unless advised otherwise. Also can I plug them into any SATA ports or do they need to be in consecutive ports (like 1 & 2, 2 & 3, etc...) Thanks in advance.

I guess info on my OS drive might also be helpful. It's a 120GB OCZ Agility 2 SSD with the latest firmware in AHCI mode.

More about : raid msi 790fx gd70

April 26, 2011 10:22:41 PM

As it happens, I just did this yesterday. My memory is very short however, and I can't remember the exact details. But you have to go into the BIOS and it's either the 2nd or 3rd option down (the 3rd I think) and you have to look for the following options.

Set E-SATA RAID Contrller to Enabled (should be enabled by default)
Then set RAID Mode to RAID
Then when you go back to the menu you should have a new option called Drive Booster. In there you set your drives to either striped or mirror or JBOD. Then when you boot into windows you should see it say it setup the hardware support for Mirror/Striped drive. Then you go into control panel, computer management, storage, disk management and set it up like other hard drives, partition it and format it, etc...

And you have to use the 2 blue SATA ports on the motherboard, not the 6 white ones on the side. The RAID controller works with those 2 blue ports. You'll see they are labelled 'hw raid controller sata' or something like that on the board.

Hope this helps, I might not have the details exactly right, but that should get you where you need to be. Please note however, that I am so far disappointed with the performance of this RAID. I have tried it as both a stripe and a mirror and the write performance has been very slow. In Mirror it should only be slightly slower, often not even noticeable, and in Stripe it should be faster. But I haven't seen that yet, dunno if I'm still doing something wrong or it's not a good controller or what...

Score

Best solution

a c 717 V Motherboard
April 26, 2011 10:53:18 PM

MSI 790FX-GD70 http://www.msi.com/product/mb/790FX-GD70.html
SATA II 1~6 support RAID 0, 1, 5, 10 or JBOD mode by AMD® SB750

Use the SB750 SATA2 ports 1~6

BIOS:
RAID Mode [RAID]
Save & Exit = Yes
Boot

Ctrl + F ; SB750
Define LD -- press 2
Use the arrows to point to the HDD -- press Enter ; to select
{see page 105 for details how to set-up in your Manual; C4~C5}
Use the Space key to select RAID 0
{I recommend 128KB Stripe and not the 64KB}
Change the assignments to 'Y'
Review then once satisfied Ctrl + Y ; Save array.

I assume that you have a non RAID 0 for your Data.
Related resources
April 26, 2011 11:27:52 PM

Ah, I stand corrected, you CAN setup a RAID on the 6 standard SATA ports, thanks Jaquith. Unfortunately, when I enable that, I get a blue screen of death on Windows start up :(  So now I am going to research that. I just wanted to make a faster HD setup, shouldn't be this hard!
Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
April 26, 2011 11:40:41 PM

That happens, See -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Suggest: 1. go back to IDE, 2. Boot into windows and manually set both 'Start' to 0, 3. Boot into BIOS and change back to RAID.

That 'should' remedy the problem.
Score
April 27, 2011 12:18:01 AM

You're 2 for 2, bud. Thanks, that saved me who knows how much searching! Feel like going 3 for 3? Now that I am in, when I go to create a partition, it let's me do so just fine, but when it's formatting the drive suddenly disappears from Windows. It shows again when I reboot, and again disappears when I start formatting. I'm going to research this next, but thought you might know that one off the top of your head too :) 

And Cody, sorry if it seems like I've jacked your thread here, but hopefully you'll find these questions and info useful, too...
Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
April 27, 2011 12:55:47 AM

Okay, if you want to split the capacity then in reading the manual for that chipset look very carefully at bottom of C-5.

"1. The default capacity is the full capacity of the selected hard drives.
2. If you allocate the first LD capacity manually, you can create second LD
with remaining capacity of the selected hard drives."
Score
April 27, 2011 2:04:15 AM

Yep, that was it...! You are in fact 3 for 3 :) 

I now have a RAID 0 setup on the SB controller. I was able to clone my Windows drive to it and boot up on it. I think I am good for the moment. My HD rating went from 5.6 to 6.1, that's what I wanted to see. We'll see what kind of Windows app/game load time decreases that amounts to, but I am happy that I've made my machine that much faster. From what I have briefly seen, this seems noticeably faster than the HW raid 0 I had setup last night...

Much thanks Jaquith for the very useful info, and for not calling me a dummy for missing that most of it was right there in the manual, which I do have sitting in front of me believe it or not...
Score
April 27, 2011 1:04:19 PM

No worries Schmalgar, I'm glad this thread was able to help you, too. Thanks for the great info Jaquith, that's exactly what I was looking for. And yes, I've got a portable drive that I use for Data and a backup. I'm still waiting on my F4's, but it looks like I've got all the info I need *crosses fingers*. Any trouble and I'll report back. If that happens do you mind if I pm you Jaquith?
Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
April 27, 2011 4:25:03 PM

Yep, you all can PM me anytime. :) 

Good Luck to you both!
Score
April 27, 2011 6:22:42 PM

Thanks bud.

I have lost my initial enthusiasm. On the first couple of boots, windows booted quickly (the drive scan time cancels that out, but oh well). But at some point the boot became PAINFULLY slow, and I didn't really do anything different. I had a seemingly non related software update (AV) that required a reboot, and after that it was awful slow. So for now I have moved it back to the HW raid on ports 7/8 to eliminate the drive scan time, and moved windows back to a standalone drive and kept my games on the RAID.

But I may revisit it soon. I'm very curious about the sudden drastic increase in boot time, dunno what happened there...
Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
April 27, 2011 7:23:37 PM

If the RAID is corrupted then yeah buddy it will sit there for some t-i-m-e to scan. There's too many variables for me to 'guess' what's going on.

I had NIS 2010 bomb a rig last week after an update, I know better than Norton...I'm not always to sharpest tool in the shed; for years I had no problems with ESET and i saw (1) test -- duh me.

IMO - If it's important then I'd start from scratch, after the fact RAID with Windoze is a risk.
Score
April 27, 2011 7:31:57 PM

By start from scratch, you mean installing Windows onto the RAID rather than copying an existing image onto it might lead to better results?
Score
a c 717 V Motherboard
April 27, 2011 7:49:29 PM

Correct, don't use an image. Get everything set-up first: RAID and BIOS environment then install Windows, test, then Apps and etc. Thankfully, Windows doesn't take too long to install.
Score
August 4, 2011 11:05:25 PM

Hey i have a 890fx gd 65 and am trying to set up a raid 0 on two 1tb hard drives. problem is when i set bios to raid it seems to not recognize the DVD drive or the HDs in the bios and just the dvd drive during the windows install. Im not sure about any of this as is my first time building a computer...
if i leave that setting to IDE i can get to windows setup fine but obviously nothing is in raid. can anyone give me a detailed how to here? i'm seriously getting fed up with it not working. Also what does AHCI mean?
Score
August 4, 2011 11:31:32 PM

derekbbolt said:
Hey i have a 890fx gd 65 and am trying to set up a raid 0 on two 1tb hard drives. problem is when i set bios to raid it seems to not recognize the DVD drive or the HDs in the bios and just the dvd drive during the windows install. Im not sure about any of this as is my first time building a computer...
if i leave that setting to IDE i can get to windows setup fine but obviously nothing is in raid. can anyone give me a detailed how to here? i'm seriously getting fed up with it not working. Also what does AHCI mean?

You need to go to the website of your motherboard's manufacturer and download the RIAD drivers. After you've downloaded them unzip them to a usb drive (or the root directory of the sd card in your smartphone). Make sure your bios is set to RAID. You may be able to follow the instructions in jaquith's post about setting up your RAID array. Although, you have a different motherboard so I would just look in the manual for the right keys to do it (it may not be Ctrl+F). After you've configured the BIOS and set up the RAID array, reset the pc with the windows cd in the disk drive. Begin installing Windows. Before you partition your hard drives plug in the usb drive (or connect your smartphone). Press F6 and then locate the folder of your RAID drivers (the folder you unzipped from the download). Install the drivers and you should now see your hard drives.
Score
August 4, 2011 11:41:57 PM

thanks! one clarification though, I have it set to raid and go to windows installation, it doesnt recognize the dvd drive first... plus the whole bios not seeing any of the sata devices once i set it to raid and set up the drives in the raid bios worries me. any thoughts.
Score
June 28, 2012 2:51:34 AM

Best answer selected by codyw9524.
Score
a c 329 V Motherboard
June 28, 2012 9:40:11 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!