thief's lockpicking

Another dumb question. My thief has 100% lockpick and 65% stealth abilities.
But she can't open locked items. What Special thing has to be done for her to
open locked areas, houses, chests and such?

Perravida5 wrote:
> Another dumb question. My thief has 100% lockpick and 65% stealth abilities.
> But she can't open locked items. What Special thing has to be done for her to
> open locked areas, houses, chests and such?

Click on the Thief Skills icon (it looks like a mask--the cheap
Halloween eye-covering mask, not the fancy mask, which is Stealth) and
then click on the locked object.

"Perravida5" <perravida5@cs.com> wrote in message
> Another dumb question. My thief has 100% lockpick and 65% stealth
abilities.
> But she can't open locked items. What Special thing has to be done
for her to
> open locked areas, houses, chests and such?

If the thief cannot unlock a lock when s/he has 100% Open Locks, then
the lock is NOT pickable at all (and, generally, cannot be opened by
the 2nd level mage spell "Knock" either.) You must either find the
key, if there is one, or find some other method of opening that lock
(some locks are there to stop you getting into areas until you have
passed a certain point in a particular quest), or go without opening
that lock.

And not all locks have keys at all. Some "unpickable" locks are merely
in the game to add flavour.

Jonathan.

ME

Perravida5 wrote:

> Another dumb question. My thief has 100% lockpick and 65% stealth abilities.
> But she can't open locked items. What Special thing has to be done for her to
> open locked areas, houses, chests and such?

If your Q is about BG1 patched to v.5512+, see Jonathan E's
reply. If the version # is smaller that 5512, patch and then
read Jonathan's reply. The patch makes at least one chest
"unlockable" (fixes a bug).

No comment if the Q is about BG2.

Replies to: Njk04s_130_p(at)Ojuno(dot)Tcom

Suddenly, , drunk as a lemur, stumbled out of the darkness and exclaimed:

> If your Q is about BG1 patched to v.5512+, see Jonathan E's
> reply. If the version # is smaller that 5512, patch and then
> read Jonathan's reply. The patch makes at least one chest
> "unlockable" (fixes a bug).

I've never come across an unpickable lock in BG1 that didn't come out and
tell you it's unpickable in the message you get when you try to pick it.
Try drinking a potion that ups your lock picking skills or cast knock on
the item. Locks in BG1 have a difficulty penalty to them, so some locks
may require more than 100%.

--
Billy Yank

"The squirrel has not yet found the acorn that will grow to the oak that
will be cut to form the cradle of the babe that will grow to slay me."
- Neil Gaiman "Stardust"

Billy Yank's Baldur's Gate Photo Portraits
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2xvw6/

ME

Billy Yank wrote:

> Suddenly, , drunk as a lemur, stumbled out of the darkness and exclaimed:
>
> > If your Q is about BG1 patched to v.5512+, see Jonathan E's
> > reply. If the version # is smaller that 5512, patch and then
> > read Jonathan's reply. The patch makes at least one chest
> > "unlockable" (fixes a bug).
> >

> I've never come across an unpickable lock in BG1 that didn't come out and
> tell you it's unpickable in the message you get when you try to pick it.
> Try drinking a potion that ups your lock picking skills or cast knock on
> the item. Locks in BG1 have a difficulty penalty to them, so some locks
> may require more than 100%.
>
> --
> Billy Yank
>
> "The squirrel has not yet found the acorn that will grow to the oak that
> will be cut to form the cradle of the babe that will grow to slay me."
> - Neil Gaiman "Stardust"
>
> Billy Yank's Baldur's Gate Photo Portraits
> http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2xvw6/

Duchal Palace basement chest was unpickable in early version
(.43??).

Replies to: Njk04s_130_p(at)Ojuno(dot)Tcom